The GOAT goat thread (Lizard blogs their farming adventure)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Lizardlicks, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

EXTREMELY important question: will the sheep be there yet when I’m in town? :eyes emoji:

• Like x 1
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

okay I'm going try to describe it because I don't have pics yet (will have tomorrow) but I know I'm going to do an awful job because this fiber. this fiber.

So first off wensleydale is interesting in its own right. They almost went extinct in the 70s, came back through careful preservation, and at some point semen was sent to America in the 90s (because this was after the import ban and you couldn't bring over live animals) and then started careful crossing selection till now when we have herds that are high content (98%).

Its described as a long wool sheep with lustrous wool and oh my god the locks are so shiny and soft?? And crossed into the merino adds plushness like you won't believe.

so the lambs im getting are one white and two silver. the silvered are what I will attempt to describe. the lambs are black but as they age little strands of white shot through the coat develop and make it look silvery and shimmery. its going to blend with the angora fluff so amazingly aaaaaaaa

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Winner x 4
  3. Lizardlicks

That is a good question which I will need to do math for because I'm having her keep then until 16 weeks before banding them. I think they're at 10 now? But I will ask tomorrow to double check.

• Informative x 1
  4. Lizardlicks

Anyway, thank you for listening to me ramble about sheep wool, here are some buns

[​IMG]

• Winner x 7
  5. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I will always listen to you ramble about fiber lol! One if my fave breeds is a Merino/luster longwool cross (Polwarth!) so this sounds very intriguing to me! And gods, silvered fleeces are just drop dead gorgeous!!!

• Agree x 3
  6. Lizardlicks

Two of the three boys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only got these two because the third is going to come from a choice of two other sheep. We're going to watch their development and see who ends up with the better wool.

We're going to need names for these sheep!!

• Winner x 6
  7. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Huey, Dewey, and Louie?

I like Donald Duck :P

• Winner x 2
  8. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Such sweet little boys!!!

• Agree x 3
  9. Lizardlicks

Oh no I love it (we binged the new Ducktales as it was coming out so I feel you)

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. Lizardlicks

I've one more new thing for the incubator :3
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  11. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

eg????

• Agree x 1
  12. Lizardlicks

Eg!!

• Informative x 2
  13. Lizardlicks

[​IMG]

The fiber flock.... it grows...

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice