The Non-Dudebro's Guide to the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Astrodynamicist, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Am I too late to post my post apocalyptic resume?? =D

My college does a thing where every year the orgs build little houses. They set up the frames for the walls and roof over the course of the semester and then put it all together in... like 4 days? And take it down in one. I didn't help with the planning so I can't tell how to make things structurally sound (but I know people who can), but I sure as hell can use a drill/screwdriver, and carry moderately heavy things.

I can also crochet, sew (a basic straight stitch anyway), cook, and learn things from books pretty easily. So a lot of skills I don't have right now, I could probably pick up the basics in a pinch, we just have to raid a library. Oh I'm also not super squeamish (except strong smells fuck with me pretty bad) and I can keep a pretty level head during an emergency. I like kids, kids like me, and I can teach. I went through first-aid training, but most of it is "get you stable until someone with more experience shows up" so I'm not sure exactly how helpful that would be if I'm the most experienced one.
    I'm kinda good at making decisions and organizing people when everyone else to be indecisive.

• Like x 4
  2. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i haven't said it before so: i love everyone in this bar :D

• Like x 2
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I learned a thing when doing research on how to write more realistic wound treatment past the initial first aid step, and that is, if you want to know some of the basics, google "triage [injury]". It will get you returns for med students learning this shit :P

• Like x 8
  4. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

...ooh, that's really useful, actually! (For more than just "what do in emergency". I can see this being useful for Replay-verse RP, where my characters would've needed to learn stuff like this cos ain't no guarantee that someone more experienced is gonna show up ever.)

5. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

time to share my post-apocalyptic skills
    • I'm great at telling even very similar colors apart, so if there are two similar-colored berries and one is deathly poison and one is not I can tell them apart
    • I can remember anything I hear that is set to a tune, so....I can join the singers, I guess
    • I can shoot a bow really well, I have great aim
    • I can learn languages pretty damn quickly if needed
    • I can cook and make bread
    • I'm great with gore and stuff, very little there upsets me (pregnancy is a No, but otherwise anything goes)
    • I know how to make jellies and jams and preserve fruits and vegetables! I can also make pickles in a jar or plastic bag.
    • I keep an extremely cool head in emergencies
    • I'm hella quiet and great at sneaking up on people, if we need to sneak attack someone I AM YOUR PERSON
    • DID, alters have skills that I do not, such as shooting guns, geometry and algebra knowledge, and conflict resolution skills
    downsides:
    • ADHD and auditory processing issues
    • DID, possibly leading to new alters when stressed, and switching randomly when stressed
    • without my medication for depression, I'd go through hella withdrawal and be basically useless for a few weeks, and then very suicidal after the fact
    • without my medication I'd also have hella bad psychotic symptoms
    • I'm incredibly attached to my pupper, but she's basically useless for anything but warmth and cuteness and most people wouldn't want us because you get two mouths to feed for like eight skills that are dependent on whether or not I'm actually functional on any given day

• Like x 1
  6. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

I like the idea that a kintsugi post-apocalypse is built around people forming a supportive community, fending off the dicks and dudebros who are using the opportunity to go full barbarian when it's neither useful nor necessary, and basically operating as a small scale civilization until the other pocket-size societies can reestablish contact and continue rebuilding.

Like, rather than "we can do whatever we want forever and it's awesome" more of a "we will get through this together and be part of rebuilding the next version of civilization" which to me is way more awesome.

• Like x 13
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Chatting with stepdad about nondudebro apocalypse and he admitted that he's arranged with his entire culdesac to set up farming, defense, and power rerouting along qith general community things. He also agreed that 'lone wolf asshole' is the least viable way to survive anything.

• Like x 13
  8. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Yup. Works fine until you piss someone off who's better or luckier than you.

9. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Sensible People's Apocalypse. Actual homo sapiens apocalypse. We are Legion, and you cannot keep us down XD

(social animals are cool XD)

• Like x 4
  10. PotteryWalrus

So I just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and now I REALLY REALLY wanna RP Kintsugi's approach to the apocalypse XDD Who's with me? (
    Are alien invasion apocalypses okay, if we're just RPing for funsies?)

• Like x 6
  11. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

how willing are you to have the ooc chat turn into WE SHOULD FUCK THE ALIENS
    XD

• Like x 11
  12. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

^_____________^

13. Kodachi

Depends. RPG or LARP?

• Like x 1
  14. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

RPG seems a more viable place to start, tbh.

15. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I have medical training (three weeks until I am an actual medical doctor!), so you'd think that should make me useful in a post apocalypse situation, but in reality I think it'd be lost without my hospital blood tests and support staff XD

• Like x 6
  16. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

The boyfriend knows a lot about how to make improvised laboratory equipment, I bet we could at least do blood counts and some simple culturing/staining

• Like x 5
  17. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

Yep, he says, "I have a good cell stain collection now plus some nifty immunohistochemistry probes, a better haemocytometer, a coulter counter, lots of cell culture stuff, etcetera. Most of the panels on a CBC can be squeezed out of the things in the lab, plus a variety of other neat tests, though it might take some improvising for a few things (the rate of RBCs settling in a chromatography tube can be a low-tech way to test hemoglobin levels!). A lot of the most important stains can actually be purified from natural sources. It would be interesting to try making antigen dyes from scratch in the post apocalypse..."

• Like x 4
  18. Kodachi

I think some of the most used / most needed medical items would be antibiotics, sutures, antibiotics, clean bandages, and antibiotics.

• Like x 4
  19. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I will straight up die when I run out of my asthma medication, so I'll last, at most, 6 months into an apolcalpyse situation and then bye bye ability to breath, I will miss you.

20. PotteryWalrus

I could probably jerry-rig some kind of vapouriser/steam house if that would help? Is your asthma usually triggered by cardio activities, or are there environmental stressors as well?

(I know how you feel, bro. I have brochiostasis (sp?) which means I'm much more inclined to lung infection and can't-breathe coughing fits in cold weather, so unless I figure out how to emulate the antibiotics I'm on 24/7 to boost my immune system I'm boned as well.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice