The Non-Dudebro's Guide to the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Astrodynamicist, Oct 24, 2016.

1. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

That's gonna leave us with plastic or glass mixed in; there's not actually a whole lot of metal in a needle, really. It's an idea, though, and having a small foundry to melt down non-functional metal items that aren't useful to us any more would be a good idea.

2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Gimme a whetstone and i can sharpen stuff. only did knives so far but it can't be that hard, right?

3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Short term easier solution for getting up and started right away would be to make glass needles.

• Like x 2
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

wouldn't those break easily? /knows very little about glass and needles

5. Lizardlicks

They would, that's why metal would be preferred, but like I said, it's a quick, short term solution. a glass kiln is a lot easier to get set up than a foundry, and creating tiny hollow tubes with a sharp end takes a bit less skill with a more easily worked and forgiving material.

• Like x 3
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

According to wikipedia, the first hypodermic needles were made of goose feathers. That sounds really really difficult to make sanitary, but maybe easier than setting up a whole forge at least to start out with? And feathers are very renewable, so only being able to use them once isn't a problem.

7. turtleDove

My feather allergy would be an issue there, but asides from that, it'd at least be a short-term solution until we had a working forge. Fortunately, I don't have anything that requires me to need regular needle-sticks, so it'd probably be more of an abstract issue for me.

8. Lizardlicks

I think a more interesting issue would be how to synthesize vaccinations because I'll admit I have no knowledge of the technical process, but I'll be damned if we get taken out by something silly like tetanus.

• Like x 1
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Also antibiotics. I once read a fic where a character went back in time and then a bit later cured some other characters of pneumonia by having them drink bread mold slurry. would that actually work like at all, or would it just be disgusting with no benefit?

edit: unless antibiotics have already been discussed in this thread, and my brain is just being a sieve right now...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  10. turtleDove

Penicillin is, technically, a bread mold - but it's a specific strain of bread mold, there'd need to be a bunch of tests to make sure that you had the right kind. So it might work, but the odds are better for "really gross, with no significant benefit". I'm not sure how we'd synthesize vaccines, either.

• Like x 2
  11. Lizardlicks

Also would have to account for common allergies to that particular strain, so no, "drink this moldy bread slush" is probably a very bad idea.

• Like x 2
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

a statement that should really have been self-evident, in retrospect

• Like x 3
  13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Also, fungus growing is very tricky to do in a sterile fashion. It would absolutely be possible to do, but you'd have to have someone with steady hands and a working knowledge of sterile compounding, at the least.

Oh, I suppose that's another apocalypse skill I've got - my mom's a pharmacy tech and I'm in school for medical lab things, so I'm very familiar with sterile techniques and given proper materials can do some basic tests. You'd be surprised how low tech a lot of bacterial identification can be.

• Like x 1
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

might work, i sort of envision the needle just bending since the subcutaneous needles are pretty thin.

and re: sharps, i think they autoclave the whole sealed container and then ??? landfill? what happens next idek

wiki:

15. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

skinning is a good skill that i would like to learn. probably pretty useful, altho you'd need to learn preserving/tanning as well

16. winterykite

dump them in alcohol and burn them, and then don't burn your finger after the sterilisation.

but yeah, subcutaneous needles are probably a bit above my skill level at this point.... practice makes perfect, i guess

17. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

I love the internet. It has things like articles for diabetics facing the zombie apocalypse.

Apparently "Puerto Rico also has many medical manufacturing factories and good climate, and it has the added bonus of being an island, so it offers a finite amount of rotting corpses to fight." I guess we could find a boat?

• Like x 2
  18. winterykite

pandemic has been saying this for years wrt madagascar

• Like x 5
  19. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Madagascar is fucking awful to infect yes. So is iceland.

20. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

really? I've always had the most trouble with Greenland, personally.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice