The Non-Dudebro's Guide to the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Astrodynamicist, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

I have some knowledge of food safety and some knowledge of animals (how to tell which snakes are venomous without trial and error). I know a bit about starting fires and I'm good with maintaining them. I once kept a campfire going for hours in a New Hampshire rainstorm and successfully cooked chicken on it. I know a bit about orienteering and I'm very good with maps. I am pretty good with delegating and orchestrating groups once I know what the goals and priorities are. And I have a wealth of trivia from preindustrial as well as modern eras that will likely yield surprising useful bits from time to time. I have also been described as exhibiting a "lunatic calm" in the midst of problems, such as things being on fire that weren't meant to be.

And in the territory of helping morale and mental health, well, I do what I can for a handful of folks in brainbent, and I'm sometimes considered a rather entertaining storyteller. But like, a lot of folks here will be good for morale and mental health in similar ways, which is why post-apocalyptic kintsugi commune sounds rad to me.

• Like x 3
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I am a folk medicine/herbalist person but I am not yet very good at identifying plants
    but I am good at keeping nutrition balanced and I am a decent cook.
    My main pluspoints however would probably be my fairly extensive albeit still somewhat theoretical knowledge of how to preserve different kinds of foods and which foods keep how long. give me a few pounds of berries and some time and a fire with decently high and stable temperature and the right kind of sugar and i will make ur berries last all winter.
    I can also bake and garden a little and have knowledge of knitting and sewing, am decent with children and good with animals.
    I just need to be kept warm and dry and can't walk or stand for very long without meds.

eta: I've also worked as a tutor before and can teach basic maths english and german

• Like x 2
  3. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

I am training in the kind of medicine that involves having very few supplies and handling mostly musculoskeletal injuries. I can rehab partially torn ligaments, I know how long broken bones should be immobilized for, and what to do after you stop being immobilized, how to keep joints in good condition, what to do with stiff and painful joints, etc. I know how to recognize a bunch of things that are more serious, even if I don't really have the skills to do much with them. This is probably my most useful skill, and sounds like it's a niche that could use filling.

I have a very good innate sense of time, which I think would be helpful.
    I have approximate knowledge of medicinal plants and how to make extracts from them.
    I can do fire things and cooking things and basic sewing and mending things, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to put together a functioning loom and weave.
    I also know a lot about bicycle maintenance and repair, which I could see being useful.

• Like x 3
  4. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Passable at gardening, can knit, can sew fabric and leather, and I generally pick up manual skills quickly. I can also quickly identify books with valuable information, so let me raid a library or two and I'll get you an assortment of good reference works for all the stuff we don't know.
    I also know how to fire clay without a kiln, and how to wield a knife for a variety of tasks, be it carving or cutting. And I know how to sharpen knives and generally how to care for them.
    i know how to make these thingies you put in your mouth so you don't bite your tongue off.

i'm also good for testing if stuff is poisonous, i can taste if something is close to spoiling, and my stomach can take a lot.

• Like x 3
  5. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i like how we're all rolling out like cover letters for the kintsugipocalypse commune

• Like x 18
  6. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

the secret to surviving the apocalypse: resumes

• Like x 13
  7. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

gotta make sure everyone knows we are Qualified.

• Like x 8
  8. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Neo Social Darwinism: survival of the fittest to contribute meaningfully to a microsociety with a broad spectrum of needs

Not the catchiest slogan but imagine it as like a bike patch on a leather jacket ^_^

oh, and when @winterykite has assembled a reference library, i've got a fair knack for seperating signal from noise in written text and organizing information into clear, consise instructions so that spoonless and LD folks can get maximum benefit

• Like x 11
  9. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I can make soap! I've never made it from ash, but as that simply involves boiling it to get the lye, I'm pretty sure one extra step is not a deal breaker, lol. I can also clean and gut a fish, shoot a pistol, and am certified in CPR and first aid (and AED use, but that may be less relevant in an apocalypse scenario, lol). I've never done it, but I also know how hunting dogs are trained. I'm also not squeamish about blood or bodily fluids. Oh! And I can make wine. It's redneck muscadine wine, but apocalypse alcohol! I can sew by hand, too, though I don't do it often.

Edit: oh, and I have a strong sense of smell/taste that means I can tell when food goes bad before other people can!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like x 6
  10. IvyLB

I am informed that it is a useful skill to have: I have experience being in thunderstorms with merely a tent and no heating. I have passable familiarity with setting up bedding when you have no heating and are in semi awful weather.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.

• Like x 6
  11. emythos

I'm so happy for all you guys with good senses of smell, cause I cannot smell at ALL

OOH OOH THAT'S RIGHT I ALSO HAVE CAMPING EXPERIENCE FROM GIRL SCOUTS
    whatever you do, don't let me use the compass though cause that's the one thing i never managed to pick up.

• Like x 1
  12. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

My sense of spells work for a few seconds every time I smell something, but then it kinda shuts down. Don't know if that's normal.

• Like x 6
  13. palindromordnilap

I AM NOT CORRECTING THAT TYPO

• Like x 13
  14. emythos

• Like x 6
  15. palindromordnilap

... Well, yeah, actually. Though there are other witches.

• Like x 1
  16. emythos

yeah, but the rest of the group are Backup Wixes now, because you had that typo

• Like x 2
  17. palindromordnilap

Can I be the Head Witch or something?

• Like x 2
  18. emythos

go for it

• Like x 2
  19. IvyLB

pal: official coven leader

• Like x 4
  20. Pesh

Pesh schtroumph

I feel like my usefulness in the apocalypse would be a) knowing things b) being able to follow directions pretty well.

Also a general tendency to be good at hitting things though not skillfully

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice