The Non-Dudebro's Guide to the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Astrodynamicist, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pesh

Pesh schtroumph

Oh and like I can knit!

• Like x 2
  2. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

we have many clothing making people
    good
    we gotta set up society in a yarn store.

• Like x 7
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oh, I forgot, I've got quite a bit of lab experience, I'm sure I can do simple things like distillation given some basic equipment. I've also got some experience as an instructor, and I like to think I'm pretty good at teaching things, like techniques.

• Like x 5
  4. emythos

a minor thing, but I can sleep basically anywhere. which is useful if we gotta crash on the ground for a while.

• Like x 1
  5. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i forgot to add stuff. i can make a cooking fire! it takes a really long time if you dont have a fire starter but i do know how. the smoke is hell but cooking things lowers chance of getting sick from food.

i'd need a lighter or someone who can do the flint + rocks combo though

• Like x 2
  6. emythos

i can make fire starters, if you mean the like, wax+egg carton+lint things that make fires burn quicker.

7. electroTelegram

im not 100% sure because ive never used one?

i just googled and yeah! i think -- it's the stuff that will burn for a long time that also has a low change of accidentally blowing out. in my experience over half the time spent making a fire is spent trying and failing to protect the baby flame from going out

• Like x 1
  8. emythos

yeah, me and my mom used to sit around and make those for the winter :D

• Like x 1
  9. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@Petra I do have one slight quibble - while it's true that bullets can't be reused, people can cast their own bullets and reuse the brass casings with proper equipment. So bullets can't be reused, but ammunition can. Sorry, just being pedantic, haha.

• Like x 1
  10. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i can also sew, sort of? And cook sort of, and if you need someone to repeatedly read an announcement oh man ive got you covered

• Like x 1
  11. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

@raybot I can do the flint thing! Gimme a nice hard bit of rock and a steel file and I'm your man :3 (I... have very little experience of the rest of the firestarting ability, though. I can make pretty sparks ^^;;;)

Strengths in the apocalypse that are provable: I can sew given enough time and hard enough motivation, and I'm not terrible at knitting - I'm better at fixing nets than I am at making them XDD I know several knots from my brief stint in the girl guides, and given a knife and some rope and possibly a tall friend I know how to make a shelter in most wooded areas and situations (including not-freezing-to-death updates if need) I'm also a decent green thumb, I can grow at least basic food things like potatoes and beans and stuff. (And poppies seem to really like me, if we're getting in on the pain-relief/drugs end XD)

I know how to set a snare for a few things and know what calls, trails and footprints look/sound like from wildlife I'm familiar with, as well as what growing wild food is available at what times of year. I can sharpen most blades, given a nice flat piece of sandstone and some oil ^^;;; I don't have a lot of experience with fishing, but I know at least some of the theory with lying hooks and checking likely spots in rivers and streams. Oh! And I'm a decent shot with a recurve bow or a slingshot, although it's been a while for both XD

(My Special Interest is the Natural World and related survival skills, don't look at me XD)

EDIT: Also I know a couple of real stone-age level skills, like how to boil water in a leather skin, and in theory how to make a dugout canoe XD

Other bits that might be useful socially: I once got a prize in school for ingenuity, and I guess I'm smart? It's more like good instincts than anything really academic, and I can remember details of stories EXTREMELY well. I love telling stories - I actually tell stories better than I write them or think them up on my own - and I'm not an awful singer. I've also got a good memory for lyrics, as well. I'm not great with the social rallying thing that my aunt seems to do effortlessly.

Kryptonite: I'm insulin-dependant diabetic (I certainly wouldn't be squeamish about moving onto porcine insulin, but it might be a rough ride - apparently some species of cone shell use hyperinsulin as a poison, maybe I could experiement with that if shipwrecked?) and well, I'm slow. My leg joints play up with my hypermobility, and I run like a duck when I'm stressed. Running also increases my chance of a real knee-blowout-dislocation that could have me out of commision from anywhere to ten minutes to a couple of weeks. I can climb and swim pretty well, though? XD

I think I'd really have to horde joint-tape, or else figure out something with rags as support bandages that didn't utterly suck in terms of chafing and aching.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like x 5
  12. emythos

oh shit, I forgot
    someone may have to volunteer to carry me when my ankles inevitably give out on me

• Like x 1
  13. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

@emythos We could make you a sleigh or like a little two-wheeled chair and take turns pulling or sitting :3

• Like x 2
  14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

HORSE CART

• Like x 7
  15. electroTelegram

i have carpentry/building skills! we could make a cart that could double as a sleeping area. all from local theater stuff, so no offical training, more me looking at a pile of wood and going at it with a saw and some drills. i can make weight bearing things though! i do not know how to chop wood from trees

but damn i forgot about the kryptonite -- i can't actually build big things anymore because chronic fatigue and mobility issues. robot parts means if i fall on the wrong body part im Super Screwed.

• Like x 3
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

that actually reminds me, ive had lots of experience carrying people piggyback style and on the hip style for lil kids, i wouldnt mind being someones carry person. i grew up with one bff who was in a wheelchair and a few other friends who broke/twisted/sprained their legs/ankles relatively often, and have done baby sitting with kids who wanted to hang off of me since i was an oversized tall as shit 13 year old. we could rock it c3po and chewbacca style B)

fake edit: or do the more sensible suggestion potterywalrus has whatevs

• Like x 3
  17. emythos

this is a GOOD PLAN
    carrying is temporary measure until carts are finished. it is still an important plan.

• Like x 4
  18. electroTelegram

wait we could Aquire one of those bike powered carts:

[​IMG]

these things are everywhere in cities, and require no gas or electricity! they might be a little cramped but we could make the cart part bigger

might not work for forests but would work anywhere flat-ish

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like x 5
  19. emythos

when I was little my family had a bike cart!
    when it broke dad repurposed it into a kayak towing mechanism

20. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

yeah
    and we really need some kind of cart anyway just for supply gathering. Traveling light is an ideal you can't afford outside of summer, even mild springs and falls make that a stretch if you aren't going to return to your camp/settling/whereever your bed is at night.

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice