The Oddly Creepy Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Nertbugs, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

OH MAN, somehow I missed this tag, wtf! Good thing I checked this thread on a whim just now, huh?

So basically, my house is haunted. There's an area in the living room, around where my dad often sits, where I'll often feel a slight cool breeze at my back--and it's ALWAYS at my back, even if I turn around. Like, the breeze fucking follows me. I've also often heard very clearly human footsteps upstairs when I'm home alone, and I know for a fact that our house has never been burgled or otherwise broken into. And of course, small shit falls off of surfaces sometimes for no apparent reason, in a way that greatly resembles how it'd fall over if you bumped into it.

Most damning of all, though?

I've actually seen her.

I saw her only once, late at night in...I think late 2015 or early 2016? I was on the deck having a smoke after everyone else had gone to bed, at like 2 AM, and I noticed a woman sitting at the dinner table. I thought maybe it was my mom having trouble sleeping, but...she looked absolutely nothing like her, or anyone else I know. She looked to be maybe in her thirties, with dark hair and either fair or olive skin (it was pretty dark inside so it was hard to pick out coloration), wearing what looked like perhaps a business suit of some sort? And I was all "holy shit," because I had long suspected that my house was haunted. And then I turned back towards her and she was gone, just like that. And I've never had issues with hallucinations, so I'm preeeeeeeeetty fuckin' convinced.

She's definitely still present, but since she seems fairly harmless I'll let her stay. :P

• Winner x 3
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I feel like she's a demon selling you wishes in gumball form for a small, small price, you won't even miss it...

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
  3. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

@Acey Oh maaaaaaannn. The fact that you actually saw her! It sounds like she's pretty benevolent as far as ghosts go though. Like a slightly spooky, sort of clumsy lodger.

A slightly spooky Nertbugs Family phenomena: We have this thing we call The Shinning. Named by my father, because he is the Lord of Dad Jokes. The Shinning basically entails that whenever one of us mention an actor, tv show, movie etc that none of us have seen for ages, that thing will appear in our lives less than a week later. I had a really good instance of The Shinning a couple of weeks ago. In our family group chat on FB we were talking about Stanley Kubrick films. A few days later I get in to work, and one of my colleagues comes over to my desk to tell me a secret. The secret is that we have a tonne of movie props in the room next door that we've been tasked with photographing. The props in question? One of the soldier's jackets from Full Metal Jacket. Stuff from 2001: A Space Odyssey. And the dungarees the little kid wore in... The Shining. All Kubrick films.

Even better: That day I was wearing a Clockwork Orange t-shirt.

(I'm aware that this is essentially a version of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, but The Shinning just sounds so much better imo).

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I have a family ghost story too! Quoting from an old post of mine in the wixcraft thread:

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  5. Acey

I know, right? And yeah, that's pretty much how I view her--she's just chillin' here, she's not doing any harm, y'know?

(Relatedly, though, my mom apparently had a really nasty ghost in her childhood home. A few years back she told it to fuck off because she's been to Ireland and she knows goddamn banshees would you want to fuck with a banshee...and it worked. My mom is kind of a badass.)

• Winner x 5
  6. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

My family has this weird thing that Everytime someone dies deer show up near the closest relatives. For example when my cousin was killed in a car accident deer where standing in her mom's driveway and kept her from leaving the house before the police had called to tell her what had happened.

Then recently when my grandma died deer stood in her back yard all night looking through the bedroom window where my aunt was watching her. According to her it was a very creepy sight.

• Like x 7
  7. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Like x 2
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Been listening to Bedtime Stories, and a lot of mysteries have solutions which are just as horrifying as the paranormal theories. An abandoned baby that's lethally disabled is less scary but more tragic than an alien baby, and him not having been mutilated by aliens is not much comfort to the loved ones of the guy who appears to have been
    eaten alive by vultures.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

• Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
  10. Acey

Jeez, glad that poor lady is getting some decent sleep now!

Kind of a brilliant idea for a burglar deterrent, though.

• Agree x 3
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

So tonight I got to use a spirit board for the first time! I wasn't expecting anything, but it reacted really impressively (see the "laughing your ass off" thread). The people running the ghost hunt had a trick to make it a lot harder for anyone to push or pull the glass which might be common knowledge among spirit board users but I'd never seen before; we put our fingers on the glass nail-side-down, so we couldn't grip it. It rocketed around the board pretty fast even so.

12. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice