The Star Destroyer SS Teachable Moment

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by jacktrash, Feb 22, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

@littlepinkbeast @seebs

a thread for discussing, gossipping about, and flailing over our tabletop dtd game, with a particular focus on brainstorming little vignettes for me to write about the destroyer crew. because i love them. i love them all.

please feel free to invite the rest of the players here, btw; i don't email and they don't tumblr so i have no contact route.

• Like x 1
  2. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

yay! I will repost my notes thing here so it can be for easy and convenient reference. @seebs do you want to do the invite sending since it is your forum?

• Like x 1
  3. jacktrash

[​IMG]

vent mochi

• Like x 4
  4. jacktrash

[​IMG]

death mochi

• Like x 3
  5. littlepinkbeast

SS Teachable Moment, formerly VCS Think About What You've Done. For people familiar with 40K ships, the base hull is pretty much a Sword-class frigate, but it's started to get a little orky all up ins.

Before the reorganization:
    Captain Ishikawa (kenku) - easy going and well liked by crew but not overly competent, got sent out for failing to record much of anything in his log for several months at a time.
    Astropath Vip (irken) - tries hard but is kind of low powered, got sent out for misunderstanding a message she received, resulting in a couple of regiments being sent out to do a couple of squads’ worth of fighting.
    Navigator Akrix (goblin) - solidly competent, got sent out for disobeying a direct order to take a particular warp passage that he considered too dangerous for the ship.
    Lieutenant “Kittyboots” Mrrashe (catfolk) - general attitude and discipline problems, got sent out for attacking a senior officer after one too many “pussy” jokes. Is one of the more feline-faced catfolk, with a resulting speech impediment; a lot of her fights and such have been over people mocking her for it.
    Chief Engineer Harford (human) - tends to drink on the job but otherwise competent, got sent out because he missed a memo and was visibly drunk when a VIP inspection tour came through.
    Chief Purser Merydeth Baleshadow (tiefling) - has a habit of picking up random small wild animals and selling them as exotic pets, got sent out because one of them turned out to be the larval form of something rather bigger and more dangerous.
    Head Cook Lalun (ophidian) - Unappreciated culinary genius. Mostly competent. Occasionally experimental. Her peanut butter and teriyaki sandwiches on rye did not go over well at the diplomatic reception.
    CPO VanKemmer (human) - cracked under stress while stuck on a vessel trapped in the warp and nailed the eldarin in the crew to a bulkhead by their ears for listening too loud. Not allowed hammers, stapleguns, similar. Is somewhat more stable now that he’s been given a “volume control” to turn down how loud people are listening at him, just make sure there’s spare batteries for it.
    CPO Anstel (human) - probably related to Nobby Nobbs. Got sent out for pawning a senior executive’s wedding ring.

After the reorganization:
    Former Captain Ishikawa is now the XO and doesn’t have to keep logs. The official captain according to the crew’s vote and the ship’s allegedly-official documentation is Glorious Eternal Captain-In-Absentia Long Dong Johnson, who does not exist. Temporary Acting Master-And-Commander In The Absence Of Our Glorious Captain “Kittyboots” Mrrashe does the actual running of the ship.

Chief Engineer Harford is a reasonably competent generalist engineer, but no miracle worker; a large part of his skillset is “can talk to people who aren’t in engineering”. Most of the engineering department is Cult Mechanicus techpriests and enginseers who believe that machines have kami which have to be kept happy to keep the machines working properly. They have reached a tentative ceasefire with Throg’s mekboyz and an agreement that the mekboys can work on the guns and the hull, as long as the Cult Mechanicus checks the hull for spaceworthiness afterwards, but are to stay the fuck away from the warp drives and Geller field.

Merydeth Baleshadow has a number of schemes for making money off of vent mochi and death mochi. Lalun is much happier now that she has access to a steady supply of coconut and curry spices and other ABSOLUTELY VITAL NECESSITIES and is working on a giant list of what flavors do and don’t go together for various species, one experiment at a time. Today's science: Chocolate coconut curry, yes, no, or interesting? Vip still gets kind of panicky when people interrupt her or ask her questions but has at least stopped absconding every time a higher-up says something to her.

Vent mochi look pretty much like creamy-white floofy dwarf hamsters, except they have only the barest tiny trace of external ears, because they'd freeze off in the harsh conditions of Space Siberia. Death mochi, uh. Take an arctic fox, and make it floofy and spherical with leetle stubby legs. Then give it the ability to shoot its jaws out of its face just like a goblin-nosed shark. They tend to hunker down someplace cosy right near the opening of a vent mochi den and nompf them as they pass by.

Drop lizards are basically alligators with sloth claws. Depending on the height of their branch and the size of their prey, they may drop completely out of the tree and land on it, or may just sort of let go with their front legs, bend down and chomp it, and then curl themselves back up into the tree.

Further notes as I think of them!

• Like x 4
  6. jacktrash

[​IMG]

mochi mochi

• Like x 1
  7. jacktrash

do you recall how it went down between murphy and jake van kemmer during the takeover? all i remember now is that murphy was dancing with him, then got him alone and punched him out. but i'm p sure there was more story there. perhaps some witty banter.

• Like x 1
  8. littlepinkbeast

I don't at all, sorry. That's all I remember as well, for that part.

9. jacktrash

hmm, what do their uniforms look like? are the pants tight? tell me murphy got to call him 'chief petty officer tightpants'.

10. jacktrash

ok i recall perfectly how we got to the idea of domhnall gleeson being our visual model of jake, and it had little to do with his exact features, but i saw this

[​IMG]

and immediately went "something VERY WEIRD happened to that man in the warp, look at his eyes, the fuck happened to his eyes"

• Like x 3
  11. jacktrash

my ramble from tumblr, mostly for my future reference:

also:

and although i kind of tapped takeshi kaneshiro for a pb, that's only because there aren't enough outlaw-looking pictures of yoshi sudarso

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  12. littlepinkbeast

Uniforms aren't particularly tight by design, but he could have easily had a uniform that didn't quite fit right, it's not like they were amazingly well supplied. And I do seem to remember Murphy picking him out based largely on the niceness of his butt. Googling around for various kinds of uniforms, I think the Russian navy has about the right look to it, although the vast majority of the crew isn't going to be particularly strictly uniformed beyond the fact that dark pants and stripey shirts are about all the ship has in stock. And yes, not so much a thousand-yard stare as a ten-dimension stare.

13. jacktrash

[​IMG]

dorks :D

[​IMG]

*fans self*

• Like x 1
  14. jacktrash

ok i'm gonna attempt some character bios here. the easiest for me is, obviously:

Augustus Zhulong Murphy

murphy.png

height: 6'5"/196cm
    weight: 220lb/100kg
    skin: med-light brown
    hair: black, straight, thick and shaggy
    eyes: dark brown
    alignment: bahamut
    class: monk/priest
    exalt: paragon
    aliases: Roadflare Murphy, Coalmine Murphy, A.Z., Murf. NEVER Gus.
    distinguishing marks: prosthetic right arm, bright red lacquer with a gold inlay of bahamut; tattoo on left arm of sumi painting of mountains and clouds with bahamutian psalm in chinese calligraphy
    clothing: usually wears jeans, cowboy boots, cowboy hat, a t-shirt advertising some alcoholic beverage, and, if the weather warrants it, a fleece-lined leather coat, all of it in black or dark brown. for formal occasions, the t-shirt might be replaced by a black button-up shirt with clerical collar. for partying, he wears his tightest jeans and ditches his shirt as soon as possible. he is a man of simple tastes.
    armament: comfortable with handguns and shotguns, and usually carries one of each on a mission, but kind of considers them 'varmint control' and would much rather solve his problems with kung fu. if things get nasty, there's a knife in his boot that he's a lot better with than a padre probably should be.
    life philosophy: freedom stems from interpersonal respect and strong ethical principles; you can't just selfishly do whatever you want, you have to think hard about what's important to the others in your community and how to make things better for everyone. there's nothing wrong with power or command, but you have to use it responsibly for the benefit of the group. people who ruin shit for everyone else need a good whupping. laws aren't sacred just because they're laws; when the law is controlled by corrupt people, it's your duty to be an outlaw.
    personality: fearless and unphaseable, though occasionally grumpy about shit being too weird to work with. very friendly, if somewhat overbearing and sometimes loud. nearly impossible to manipulate, due to his 'wall of nope' level of mental resistance -- he's a bred-in-the-bone skeptic about all new information, and won't accept anything until he's thought it through himself. this exasperates his mother, but makes him hella hard to mindtrick.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Like x 7
  15. jacktrash

==> Murphy: Talk To A Cute Boy

He’s ignoring you. Probably.

It can’t be that he doesn’t know you’re here. The shop is a big, cluttered space, but you’re sitting on top of the truck with a welding torch, that’s kinda hard to miss. You don’t know if he glanced at you when he came in, because you had your welding mask down and were focused on fixing up the halfassed job you made of the gun mounting. But he’s got his back to you now. Rummaging among the parts drawers. Pale and slim and fascinating in his slightly rumpled uniform. Most of the crew doesn’t wear their uniforms anymore since the ship turned pirate, but Jake van Kemmer does.

This is an opportunity you should probably take. You’ve been working yourself up to talking to him. You’ve just about accepted that there’s no right thing to say, that you’re just going to have to wing it and look stupid. Now here he is, so you should definitely go for it. Yes.

He has to have noticed the welding torch is off. Hard to tell if he’s nervous, though. He’s always tense. You wonder if you’re listening too loud. You’re kind of expecting the remote control to come out any second here. Like, if there is such a thing as ‘listening too loud’ that is what you’re doing right now. Well, that and staring at his ass. It’s really quality. He wears his uniform pants tight, like he knows it. But then he’s all twitchy and scowly and it should be a weird contrast but it works, is the thing, and… yeah, okay, he’s nervous or something, he’s not rummaging in any kind of organized way.

You set down the welding rig and mask and slip off the truck. When your boots hit the decking, his twitch is subtle enough that you’d have missed it if you weren’t a martial artist. You strip your gloves off and toss them on the workbench beside where he’s standing. “Help you find something?” you offer.

“I’ll be out of your hair in a second,” he mutters, glancing aside at you. His weird, Warp-damaged eyes make your heart go thump.

“No, that wasn’t a passive-aggressive — like — I am legit asking if I can help. I know where stuff is.”

“Oh.” Another flicker of a glance, and then he visibly gathers himself and looks at you straight-on. It looks like his calm expression is costing him, but you can’t tell whether it’s because he’s angry or scared or awkward or just… the usual van Kemmer twitchies. “Octadic capacitors. I need six of them. I found one but it looks like a cat pissed on it.” He holds the item up to show you: disgustingly corroded.

“Oh, what the fuck, who put that back in the drawer. Toss that before someone tries to use it. Yech.” You look in the usual drawer for those, and sure enough, there’s nothing but a dried puddle of whatever did the corroding. You toss the drawer onto the workbench so you can clean it. Then you start searching, flicking drawers open and shut with quick fingers.

After a minute there’s a soft snort beside you. “Well, now you’re just duplicating my efforts.”

“I know, but it’s faster than you telling me where you looked.”

“Weren’t you watching?”

You look over and find him leaning his (exemplary) ass against the workbench and crossing his arms, raising one rusty eyebrow at you like he’s proud of himself for catching you out. He’s such a smug, why do you like it. Why. “Not, uh, the whole time?”

He sighs. “Look, I’m not going to come after you, if that’s what you’re nervous about.”

“I — wait. I’m nervous?”

“I know the trope, the hero does a seduction for plot purposes, and the poor moron they macked on takes it seriously and follows them around forever. Calling them stupid pet names and making stupid kissy-faces. Look at me, Murphy, do I look like comic relief to you?”

You shake your head slowly.

“So you can quit watching me like I’m about to do the fangirl squeal and call you Snoogums in front of your cool outlaw friends.”

Laughing softly, you shake your head again. “Boy, have you got me wrong.”

Another smug jerk eyebrow quirk, just as inexplicably charming as the last one. “Well, you’re not afraid I’ll punch you back. I’m a mere mortal and you’re made of truck.”

“I kinda wish you would punch me back.”

“Uh-huh.”

“I mean, so we’d be even. Um, not that that would really make us even I guess, because probably the punching wasn’t as much of a problem as the thing where I tied you up and took over your ship. I’m not sure if it makes any sense to apologize for that, because it was necessary to rescuing my dad, so I wouldn’t undo it if I could. Which is why I haven’t yet. Apologized. Because I was overthinking it.”

“Riiight.”

“Mostly I was staring at your ass, though.”

He looks genuinely baffled. Not offended, though. “Mine?”

“Well, yeah,” you say, ignoring the opening for a sarcastic remark. Now’s not the time. “It’s quality.”

“My ass is quality.”

Deep breath. “Jake van Kemmer, I would follow your ass into Hell. Your eyes are like jade lamps. Dancing with you on the cruise ship was the nicest date I’ve ever had, and I was hella bummed that the plan required knockouts out instead of makeouts.” Oh good, you seem to have finally remembered that you’re not a chickenshit. Unfortunately, you are actually sort of an idiot. Case in point, he looks like he might be mad.

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

Yeah, that’s definitely mad. Shit.

He points at you with the corroded capacitor, eyes flashing with mesmerizing pale fire. “You humiliated me. You ended my career. Granted, it was a terrible career and I hated it, but you took the choice away from me. You’ve got my crew hero-worshipping you, and they all know about the thing where I followed you away from the party like an absolute chump because I was thinking with my dick, and I will never live it down. And now you’re, what, offering me a pity fuck? Fuck you, Augustus Zhulong Murphy. Fuck you and the trashy redneck halftrack you rode in on.”

Welp. You think you are probably in love. “How do you know my middle name?”

“I do my homework,” he spits. “It’s an officer thing. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go beg capacitors from the techpriests and try to get someone to clean out those storage drawers because I’m pretty sure the vent mochi got into them and oh my god you’ve got me using that stupid name for them I hate you.”

“Jake.”

His pointing capacitor prods the center of your chest sharply. “That’s Chief van Kemmer to you, cowboy.”

“Okay but do you want to go on a date?”

He freezes in the angry-prodding position. “What?”

“I don’t know about any pity fucks. Um, in fact, okay, I’m not quite a panicky virgin but I’m not exactly mister experienced either and even if I wanted to be a vile seducer I wouldn’t know where to start?”

“What.” He’s fighting a smile, he’s winning but you can see the battle. “What kind of cool outlaw doesn’t party with a babe on each arm?”

“The Murphy kind? I was just thinking maybe we could try the date thing without the hitting.”

“Well, but the. The cruise ship is? You can’t dock in the Warp.”

“Yeah, no, I know, but we could have a picnic on the farm deck maybe? I’ll cook, I’m a good cook, do you like Chinese food?”

There’s a long, still silence. Then he slowly straightens up, and allows the smile to take one corner of his mouth before he reclaims the territory. “Pick me up tomorrow at 1200, and we’ll find out.”

He turns on his heel and strides off, posture and gait halfway between smug and get-me-out-of-here-before-I-lose-my-cool. You watch him out of sight. This time you’re not fixating on his ass, nice as it is; you’re watching his shoulders, his hands, the flutter of his coppery hair escaping from whatever product he tames it with — and the backs of his ears. They are scarlet.

You spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning the shop with your music cranked, boot-sliding across the blastproof deck plating and singing into your mop.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    • Like x 12
  16. littlepinkbeast

now i'm imagining them having their picnic in among the hydroponic onion tanks and sunlamps :D

• Like x 1
  17. jacktrash

yeah that's p much what murphy had in mind! :D

he'll pick out a spot where there's a bit of a leaf canopy and spread a picnic blanket on the floor, and they will have dim sum and beer. either this is as romantic as he thinks it is, or jake enjoys the fact that he's an entire dork.

• Like x 1
  18. jacktrash

[​IMG]

does it have that wack-ass cowcatcher on it btw and have they graffittied it yet

• Like x 1
  19. littlepinkbeast

It used to! Imperial ships in the 40K verse tend to have that sort of front end as an extra-heavily-armored bit for deflecting and soaking up incoming fire from things they're trying to approach, although most of them aren't as oddly sharp as the Sword's nose. Now it still has that basic structure but sort of Mad Max-ified into a post apocalyptic looking ramming prow. And IIRC at least one side of it has Nyancat with "The More You Know" written along the rainbow trail.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Like x 4
  20. jacktrash

so i'm thinking about writing murphy doing the cooking for his picnic date, and i'd like to know more about cooking/eating/food storage arrangements if you've got ideas. and also about lalun, what's she look like, what's she sound like, etc.

iirc murf and lalun got along pretty well from the very beginning. he heard about the sandwiches, and went to her to suggest trying salty-sweet peanut sauce on spring rolls instead, and she was pleased that SOMEONE recognized peanuts/soysauce/mirin DO go well together, if maybe not on rye bread. i'm thinking she would probably enjoy watching him make a bunch of little chinese delicacies and talking about what goes into them. what i don't know is if she would tease him about going on a date with jake, or approve, or disapprove, or be like "i thought humans were mammals don't you need a female mate", or what.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice