The Toy Box

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by TheMockingCrows, Dec 11, 2019.

?

Are you ever too old to play with toys?

1. No

18.8%
  2. Hell No

81.3%
  1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

the blushing turned out very light and natural, im pleased, but it doesn't show up super well in picture. the eyes... hm. i like them as they are for once? they're different than I'd planned bc i went out of order but i like them. c: i need to eventually add two little beauty marks, and trim her hair, find a way to make it lay down flatter... buuuut. voila, the in-progress mini me is nearly done. need to figure out how to give her tiny glasses :/c

doll4.PNG

• Winner x 5
  2. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

!!!! I commissioned @keltka for some microknit leggings and hat for troll girl and they just arrived!!!
    35C3E779-6752-45F8-ACB5-A29AEB5BC818.jpeg
    Only one of the leggings made it, but they are sending another.

Still need to take the plastic helmet apart and add the jewels and horns back in, so she’s not done quite yet.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. TheMockingCrows

:vibrates excitedly: almost got a great doll lot last night for christmas gift but instead i got a load of doll hair. four colors will be delivered soon, including the two i needed for the mermaid project. as well as new needles.

and there was enough left over that when i scrolled ebay, i was able to find a great condition Honey Swamp who will be coming home to live on a nice stand :'D im so excited. i love honey swamp's design so much.

• Winner x 2
  4. TheMockingCrows

i have a few dolls i want to do a spa day for without altering, finally. i've got a cupid with most of her items, save for her wings, and i finally got my hands on a honey swamp. but cupid's hair is Nasty save for her little heart twist, and her face is dirty. and honey swamp's hair is p gluey but i don't want to damage her curls at all. i might also be keeping another girl in-tact but im undecided yet.

any recommendations on how best to spa-day these ladies safely without wiping them?

eta: @rorleuaisen you seem the master of doll spas, any advice?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  5. rorleuaisen

I haven’t actually had to do any serious face cleaning, but I have a few spare dolls I could test out some methods on.
    Hair degooing is a Process and there was one doll I just could not get cleaned well. So, keep in mind that you may not be able to salvage if they are really bad.

Anyways! The process:
    Degoo
    Give a quick wash in dish soap(or wig shampoo/laundry detergent(hypoallergenic is best cuz less stuff to build up in hair). You can fill a bowl with soapy water and do some gentle swishing if you want to mess with hair structure as little as possible. I try to squish out extra moisture or let dry before the next step.
    4AB7E298-2E74-4855-85FA-BF7C3E15C49A.jpeg 709037E6-F6BE-40A1-A189-E3588979D316.jpeg
    Soak head(can keep attached to body or remove head, either works) in googone(IMPORTANT: you want the nonstaining kind! Some versions of googone will stain your doll’s skin! You can use sun bleaching to counter the effects, but is best to avoid damage if at all possible. Light skinned dolls are more susceptible to staining).
    14CD6FE5-51C3-4AF2-81DD-51D08C6DD46C.jpeg
    • Use gloves!!!
    • Very smelly!
    • soak no longer than 1 hour
    • Rubbing in helps
    After soak, wash again in dishsoap(must be a grease cutter this time) til googone oilyness is gone(smell won’t be, but the oily feel should be). Then set them to dry.
    Hung upside down, but risk of head glue seeping out more, so upright is recommended method. Also note they are inside. Which I also don’t recommend xD I fixed my method in later attempts but don’t have pics of it unfortunately. 73AA87B5-E028-4898-AFB4-CCB17E0FE052.jpeg
    • preferably outdoors so smell doesn’t invade house
    • Hang up right so glue doesn’t continue seeping out of head
    If there is only mild stickiness left, or you just don’t want your dolls to smell like googone, I then apply baby powder to the dry hair

• brush in Gently
    • this absorbs goo and dries out hair so be gentle and slow to prevent hair loss/breaking
    • Let sit for a day or so
    • Rinse out
    Wash in laundry detergent(or preferred doll hair wash). You can style hair after your final rinse. You can’t so a very strong style, but if you are looking for strong styling that is a different guide :p

• final dry(upright)

• Informative x 1
  6. rorleuaisen

And some examples of clean girls/slow styling girls:
    199F7A36-6CC2-40DD-A505-91B5365E0BEC.jpeg 82FA220B-A6D4-443E-BAF6-E6E98C3C5388.jpeg note the rubber band around cupid’s neck that has been sitting there for months.
    Rubber band removed(just now xD): 6368032E-4811-4159-9966-4EECC229BF41.jpeg

I got tired of the process cuz it is a lot of effort @-@ so robocca steam has some of the sticky glue hair still but I have decided it fits her char :p

eta: I redid the whole googone soaking and washing process several times on some of the girls. Any girl I felt the need for a third soak wasn’t helped much by additional soaks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  7. TheMockingCrows

i haven't played that one, but I've seen people play it I believe. c: what a cutie!

8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

oh man what a good design merge i love popuri she was like my first real case of heartbreak bc i couldn't decide between her and ann and then popuri had rival events and I sat my little 10 year old butt down like >:O

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice