The True Crime Thread (tw: all)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by valenstyne, Oct 24, 2016.

1. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

Since so many of us seem to be interested, here is the thread for talking about murder and mayhem that happens in real life. I figure we can toss around book/podcast/tv show recs, discuss crimes that interest us, etc.

• Like x 2
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

TOOLBOX KILLERS TOOLBOX KILLERS TOOLBOX KILLERS

• Like x 1
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I already recommended My Favorite Murder and the heavy hitter episodes of The Last Podcast On The Left (H. H. Holmes is my favorite serial killer, but the Albert Fish and Dean Corll episodes are also pretty fantastic) as podcasts, but I also adore the book The Devil In The White City (also H. H. Holmes). I read that when I was in Ireland, walking the Giant's Causeway, and it was unbelievable.

edit: also the podcast You Must Remember This has a 12-part Charles Manson series, which is pretty incredible.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    • Like x 5
  4. valenstyne

Ohhh my god those guys. So creepy.

The Devil In The White City is so good! The author's other books are really good too—he's got one about Dr. Crippen that I really liked.

5. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i recommend cayleigh elise's dark matters/nameless series on youtube for, IMO, respectful descriptions of unsolved crimes, if that's anyone's bag. i'm very interested in cases like elisa lam, particularly the how and why they happened, and i think she does a good job respecting the dead and speculating without going 'AND THEN A DEMON PUSHED HER IN THE WATER TANK'

rob dyke's anatomy of murder/serial killer files are also really good, though less in-depth than caleigh's. he has an illustrator, too!

• Like x 3
  6. spockandawe

Oooh, I didn't realize that author had done other stuff! I unfortunately haven't had the chance to read any other serial killer books in the last few years :( Spoons and focus have been crazy out of whack for a few years now, and I sometimes struggle to even get through listicle rundowns, which sucks. But I am definitely hoarding recs for when I finally get my life back under control! And in the meantime, I'm so glad that podcasts are around to give me my nonfiction fix when I need it.

OH, and since I mentioned it before, this is the H. H. Holmes jigsaw puzzle I bought. There are so many murders and so much detail! And it was designed using the actual murder castle layout and the artist is just amazingly talented at packing tons of personality into a tiny space. My favorite favorite favorite detail is that okay, the ferris wheel was designed for the Chicago world fair, which is when a lot of H. H. Holmes's murders took place. In this cross-section of the hotel, you see one itty bitty window peeking through to the opposite side of the building (in the top left room). And through that itty bitty window, you can see half of a ferris wheel on the other side.

• Like x 3
  7. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

*smashes in* I love this podcast! My favourite part is how they persistently talk about how most of these killers are FUCKING LOSERS.

• Like x 3
  8. valenstyne

I have podcast recs!
    Blurry Photos - mostly paranormal stuff, but also some great true crime episodes (Hinterkaifeck, the Bloody Benders, the Axeman of New Orleans, D.B. Cooper on the non-murder side) and I just love the hosts so much.
    In Sight - Only 16 18 episodes so far, but they're really good.
    Unsolved - Just six episodes, but I think it's going to start back up soon. Really good stuff.
    Already Gone - This one focuses mostly on missing persons cases but also does quite a few episodes on murders.

• Like x 3
  9. Ducks

Can someone sell my favourite murder to me? I tried an episode but half of it was babbling about a retail area in Los Angeles and the rest of the episode didn't make up for how boring that was.

10. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Do any of these podcasts have transcripts?

• Like x 1
  11. valenstyne

@Ducks I, um, I noped out after they responded to a listener's story about her mom having gone on a date with a serial killer with "This bitch almost got murdered!" So. Yeah. Plus I was skipping about half of every episode because of, well, the babbling. Although I haven't listened in a while so maybe they got better.

@cryptoThelematrix I don't think so, alas :(

12. Ducks

I mean to be fair lpotl would probably make that joke. They aren't wasting my time the rest of the episode though. Darn, I wanted to like that show.

• Like x 3
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'm not sure, but I would LOVE some LPOTL transcripts if they exist...I love that podcast but auditory processing disorder is still A Thing Acey Has, and I've probably missed a bunch. :(

I'm deeply fascinated by true crime myself. A big part of it is my weird obsession with death in general (acey confirmed for Actual Megido??), but part of it is also, I think, the fact that like...killers themselves are a fucking mystery to me. I don't understand how normal people work, and then there are these shitheads who are so disturbed on a level that makes them almost like a totally different species, as far as Acey Figuring Them Out goes. It's fascinating stuff.

• Like x 5
  14. Aondeug

The Toolbox Killers have been a particular fascination of mine since I've heard of them because there is just something so starkly raw and cruel about them. The same can be said of many sadistic serial killers, but there's just something about that really gets to me and bothers me. Perhaps it's the knowledge that there are tapes of their tortures and killings and that one of these was played in court. They're now used for desensitization exercises if I recall correctly.

I do rather dislike the one part of the pair though. Like more than the other. They've both done monstrous shit but the one has tried to push blame onto his partner entirely. The lack of owning up is just. Urgh.

The killer that frightens me most though is Albert Fish. I can't sleep at night at times because of him.

My most hated killer though is Jim Jones because he is a dirty fucking coward ass bitch who would not drink the Flavor-Aid. If you're going to mandate a mass suicide by drinking cyanide laced not-kool-aid then you are going to fucking die that way. Not by a gun. And not by another's hand. You dirty, dirty coward.

• Like x 4
  15. Aondeug

Also someone brought up Ireland which reminds me of Dublin stories. Namely the story of Billy in the Bowl who is just now...part of Dublin's colorful characters.

• Like x 1
  16. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I mean... if you don't like hearing two ladies ramble about shit then mfm is probably not for you in general. They never claim to be an authority or be a serious podcast- they are in the comedy section for a reason. Ironically, I kinda feel the same way about lpotl. I just found the hosts' voices aggressively unpleasent.

17. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I might check out MFM! I'm always on the lookout for more podcasts to hoard.

• Like x 1
  18. valenstyne

Oh wow, I had not heard of him! That's amazing. Oh, Ireland.

And Albert Fish is like…the archetypal boogeyman. He's so horrible it's hard to believe he was real. *shudders*

• Like x 1
  19. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I am predisposed to really liking it bc a) Karen and Georgia remind me of all my moms friends growing up and b) the podcast has done a lot to help me get over my extreme fear of serial killers, ironically enough. I have gotten to the point where I can sleep without any lights on!

20. spockandawe

I personally enjoy the conversational stuff, but that particular episode wasn't really one of my favorites :P I found my way to the podcast through the cracked podcast episode that had them as guest stars, so you might enjoy that one, which has them a little more tightly focused on the murder-y topic! Or mmmaybe their recent live episode (which features a guest from the Dollop podcast, which also does true crime, but I haven't checked them out) is also a little more focused? Sorry, I'm not in a position to dig through that link to check. I think that most of their episodes, they try to talk for about 25 minutes each, so if you aim for ~50 minutes from the end, that's when the actual crimes get discussed.

I don't know, if I'd started in the middle I might have gotten frustrated, but I went from the cracked episode to episode one, and the conversational style grew on me. The 'bitch almost got murdered!'-type stuff didn't really affect me, because in general they're big advocates for the whole 'trust your instincts, don't worry about looking like a jerk, protect yourself,' type of thing, and I've got good friends that do the affectionately-calling-you-bitch thing, so it didn't even register until it got brought up here. I guess... yeah, I'm listening to one now and the intro tangents are pretty long, but it actually bothers me less than the LPOTL derails into character acting and such.

Haha, sorry, I'm much better at selling fiction than nonfiction, I think :P I don't think I'd enjoy it as my main stimulus, but I can't deal with any audio-only input as my main stimulus, I need to keep my hands busy. I've been loving it as one of my go-to background distractions for work or art or chores for a month or two now.

(also their anxiety things make me feel better about my anxiety things, and I'm the kind of person who can really use reinforcement on that whole 'it's okay to be a bitch, protect yourself' mindset, and they're great for that. I'm a lot like Georgia irl and have friends that remind me of both of them, so it all feels very friendly and companionable)

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice