The Wheel Turns

Discussion in 'The Queen of Cups' started by Zin, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Arie Kluss

Arie Kluss from here on out I wear this face for both of us

"No, no, it's okay, stringbean!" To hell with anything anyone else is saying if she's hurting Ethan now too. "You didn't know they were wrong, okay, none of this is anything you did..."

2. Ethan Kluss

Ethan Kluss Smol Cinnamon Roll

Ethan hugs her tighter, nodding. "O...okay. I... A...Arie... w...what's wrong with mom and dad?"

3. Nul

Nul Who the hell is Mica?

After a few moments with his head buried in his hands, Nul looks over to Legion. "Okay, I can almost buy that they knew about me and Mutt, but how did they know about you?"

4. Arie Kluss

"I... I don't know, I'm so sorry," Arie babbles, and if Ethan doesn't start feeling like he can't breathe then she's exercising considerable self-control. "But, but I think maybe I made some friends that might have an idea, all right?"

She did hear Even, after all.

"There's a drawer under the oven. Skillets."

5. Even

Even Smoke Never Rises Without Fire

"...I need you to get them. I can't touch cold iron. Neither can Legion, Mutt, or Nul. It'll burn our skin." He says quietly. "If you show me where oven mitts are?"

6. Legion

Legion For I Am Many

"I.... don't know," Legion frowns, then slowly starts unwrapping the gift. She lets out a quiet gasp of delight as the paper rips away to reveal a sleek looking shotgun with an etched inlaid handle.

7. Ethan Kluss

"...you...is it gonna help?" Ethan hesitates, looking at Even.

8. Nul

Nul Who the hell is Mica?

Nul nods appreciatively. "Pretty. These gifts are suspicious as hell, but they're good quality."

• Like x 1
  9. Arie Kluss

"They're hanging right over the-"

No. Even if almost the last thing she wants in the world right now is for Ethan to be out of her sight for a second, Arie's getting the feeling that whatever happens next is going to be deeply unpleasant. The actual last thing she wants in the world is for Ethan to be hurt. "Look, stringbean, I think this will help, but if you could go at least into the other room for now, okay?"

• Like x 2
  10. Ethan Kluss

Ethan hesitates. "I... I can go into my room. And... and close the door?"

11. Arie Kluss

"Yes, that's good, I'll be sure to let you know when everything's safe, okay?"

Everything is never going to be safe again, but that's the kind of realization she needs to spare him.

With that she goes to the kitchen. She doesn't even need to open the drawer, it turns out. That stupid iron fish they'd bought when Mom was pregnant with Ethan and got anemic is propped up on a counter, mostly decorative now. It's small enough to fit in her palm. But if it burns, that should be enough, right?

• Like x 1
  12. Ethan Kluss

Ethan quickly heads up the stairs, door closing shut behind him.

13. Even

Even follows behind her, looks at her uncertainly. "...that's cast iron?"

He looks around, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around his hand. "....let me do it. If I'm right..." He goes silent, then shakes his head. "...just trust me, I think it's better if I do it."

14. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt trails after them. "What are you doing?"

15. Arie Kluss

"You're supposed to boil it with your food if you have an iron deficiency," says Arie, feeling obscurely as if she ought to defend her choice of tool. "You can get the skillet if you don't like this."

16. Even

"....I need to test something."

Even stares, slowly, then nods. "...no, just wanted to make sure. It should be enough. May I?"

17. Arie Kluss

Arie hesitates, but only for a moment, then she places the fish gently in the terrycloth.

18. Even

He takes it, carefully, and turns, heading back into the main room.

19. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

The Kluss' turn to smile at him as he walks in, and Mother holds out an envelope.

20. Even

Even stares, breathes out slowly, and thrusts the fish forwards towards the her bare skin of her hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice