The Witch Of Babbling (blog thread)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by witchknights, Dec 15, 2018.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Yeah like. I forgot a lot of the commands and how to make DOS do what i want, but i remember enough that if i needed them i wouldnt have to learn from the ground up and I certainly know enough that I can operate a simple program about cell potential thresholds that was already opened in our stations; my first computer had Windows 95 but technology arrived late in Brazil and a lot of the school computers still had DOS games by the time I started having computer classes in second grade, which is why i am familiar with command systems :P

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Informative x 1
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

honestly, DOS familiarity is a pretty neat skill :P
    it's not like you learned to operate those punch-hole-card computers, i think those are in fact firmly outside of the realm of relevancy by now sadly xP

• Agree x 1
  3. witchknights

*looks at dragon age icon on desktop*
    *looks at huge amount of biochem things needed to study for a test on tuesday*

gimme game

4. witchknights

the thing is: will i attend said test wearing a fullmetal alchemist shirt?

• Agree x 1
  5. witchknights

(that said i really wanted a lousy 'human transmutation workshop' tshirt)

• Winner x 1
  6. witchknights

videogames allow us to live our wildest fantasies, where you can be anything, like a doctor that got her degree because she could make people glow blue and not because she studied the structures of proteins

• Winner x 1
  7. witchknights

that said my next dnd character WILL be a very prim and proper lady of high birth that decided to become a physician and then immediately lost her license to necromancy

• Winner x 3
  8. witchknights

which makes me think about Pushing Daisies and now i wanna make a sheet for the piemaker and the crew

• Winner x 1
  9. witchknights

Almost 13 hours out of home because i stayed late for the palliative care league presentation

I want to join it so i had to stay

It was cool but i am so so glad to be home

And monday ill prob stay even late because there is another presentation by another academic league that i want to join

• Witnessed x 3
  10. witchknights

I have vanilla ice cream and dulce de leche and you know what? Life is good

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  11. witchknights

Tutors did a... test run of our Tuesday test, or at least the practical/lab part. I got a few wrong because i was nervous and we only had a minute with each microscope/anatomical piece but then when i got going i had a decent score i think, i only got three wrong-wrong answers and four or five where i got the spirit of the thing right but switched the specific name of the bone accident with the name for the other, mostly similar thing

• Like x 3
  12. witchknights

13. witchknights

my cat is using my clinically oriented anatomy as a pillow.... so cute......

• Agree x 1
  14. witchknights

doctor kitty wants to grow up to be a people veterinarian

• Winner x 3
  15. witchknights

i am only on my fourth week of med school... please... i am begging you.... stop talking about kidneys............. (we are studying an osteoporosis case so im reading about calcium homeostasis)

• Witnessed x 3
  16. witchknights

i wrote ten pages about osteoporosis today and i don't even wanna remember i have bones ever again

• Witnessed x 3
  17. witchknights

MARIE WITCHKNIGHTS: DRAGON AGE ROYAL HISTORIAN ATTACKS AGAIN WITH MORE CODEX ENTRIES ABT MY WARDEN

ETA I might have written a bunch of things wrong bc its midnight and my head is full of cotton

The Heraldry of the Hero of Ferelden
    An interesting element on the study of the legacy of the Hero of Ferelden is her heraldry. An early sign of the times to come, it was the first of such given to an Elvhen citizen; and despite its recognition happening relatively easily on her native land, Chantry and Orlesian documents of the time suggest that the process was not so straightforward in the rest of the world - Chantry officials in particular worrying that the granting of nobility to a mage and the Arling associated with it would be too close to giving political power to a mage -a grave crime in the eyes of the Chantry at the time.

Unlike the elaborate, ostentatious shapes of the families of Orlais, Fereldan heraldry traditions aim for simplicity and level-headedness, using primary forms and few adornments. They are used to identify the family and the land to which they belong, its general size and location, and maybe the alliances involved: a simple way to catalogue Ferelden's chaotic, very loosely organized monarchy.
    -> The shape of a shield is reserved for the family currently sitting on the throne.
    -> Circular and oval shapes are reserved for high nobility and ancient houses, the owners of vast amounts of land, like theirin, guerrin or cousland; although the Theirins use their shield-shaped heraldry as they are the currently reigning family.
    -> The pentagon is used for upper nobility, who administer large or medium arlings and have the sworn allegiance of a few banns on their land.
    -> the rectangle is used for banns and medium nobility, like medium to small arlings.
    -> the triangle is used by knights, minor nobility and the occasional freeholder powerful enough to be granted the honor.

As for embellishments, you can see one to four colors on a design - the Theirins have blocks of white and red on their royal shield, but as the teyrn of Denerim their heraldry sits on a fully red background. This repeats with the solid Cousland blue and the solid Mac Tir green. Generally speaking, the vassal families would try to incorporate the colors of their lords in their own, although that was not always a guarantee of loyalty in tumultuous times. Other design features included images of dogs, wyverns, birds of prey, horses and other animals, and occasionally plants. A yellow owl sits at the top of the Mac Tir green circle; two red dogs guard Ferelden's royal shield. Other images can be used inside the design, such as the five pointed star on the Guerrin coat.

Knowing these facts, it is easy to interpret, even at a glance, the meaning of the Hero of Ferelden's personal coat of arms. It consists of an inverted triangle, divided in two: an upper black half and a lower blue half, divided by a red and white rose, and has a silver griffon resting atop a branch of evergreen at the point.

Black is a popular color for the coat of arms of knights, and the shape is traditional of this class, emphasizing her role as a combatant and protector serving the kingdom. Some royal documents of the time suggest that a first design was proposed by the King with either a pentagon or, as an amending by the Queen, a rectangle shape as the Hero of Ferelden would assume the Arling of Amarantine, which was an important enough position at the time to warrant one of those - although which is debatable and not made clear in the documentation available. Either would be a great honor, and there was opposition of a part of the nobility who argued that the Arling was going to the Grey Wardens and their Warden Commander, not to the Hero of Ferelden personally; this side seems to have won. Blue represents the teyrnir of Highever, to which Amarantine is subordinate; it is also a colour associated with both magic, in the form of Lyrium, and the Grey Wardens. The silver griffon is thus self explanatory; the branch of evergreen nods to the Hero of Ferelden's humble origins in the Gwaren Alienage.

The white and red rose is the only unusual element, as roses are considered too delicate for traditional Fereldan symbology. It is known that the rose became the Hero of Ferelden's personal signet, to the point that the few suspected paintings of the Hero all share a red rose as an element, but why exactly has been left frustratingly unclear. The first design proposed by the king and queen suggested a sun as a symbol of the hope she brought to the country during the Blight, and it seemed to go relatively unchallenged until the publication of the finished coat of arms; it is possible the rose means the same thing, but the reason of the change has never been written down. Still, its coloring reflects the colors of the Theirin reigning shield, a reassuring sign of subordination at a time where Sophia Dreyden was still remembered for her betrayal of the crown.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Winner x 1
  18. witchknights

Idrilla doesn't suffer so much from the "painting an elf in any way other than as a servant in the background is a chantry crime" law because Leliana sits her ass in the sunburst throne and yells YALL KNOW WHATS BULLSHIT? ALL THIS, but Lissie suffers a bit because she had ten years of invisibility plus however many years it takes to come back from finding a cure for the Blight, and those things aren't so much fun anymore when you're not a nineteen year old fresh from the high of killing the archdemon. I mean comparatively idrilla suffers more with being recognized as the herald of andraste and some artists definitely shrink her ears but that's not like. Written into law. And Lissie is still a diva even when she's solidly an adult. But you know what I mean.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like x 1
  19. witchknights

every positive reaction i have to a codex entry i write feeds my desire to write a fanfic dissertation for my minor in thedosian history and makes it stronger

• Winner x 2
  20. witchknights

i have never gotten drunk and i don't smoke anything but this song is a mood

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice