The Witch Of Babbling (blog thread)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by witchknights, Dec 15, 2018.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

slow class day so i'm trying to organize my sims 4 custom content and.......... i have so much of it. that's like. way too much. help

• Winner x 1
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

That’s the Sims mood.

• Agree x 1
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

sits in a corner still being confused and alarmed at mods and refusing to tinker with game files
    help i think i'm doing this wrong

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Verily

Laughs maniacally in python.

I seriously wrote a (very terrible) script in python in college just to move unzipped files out of subdirectories into the main download directory because it was taking far too much time on a regular basis to unpack all my downloads. (I mean it worked, it was just not an example of a good python script.)

5. witchknights

Untitled.png

this is mostly just CAS cc because I suck at decorating houses

you don't need to tinker with game files to use most custom content on the sims! there's a mods folder in documents and you just drop them there. if something goes weird you just delete the files and there's that. the only ones that can do damage are script/gameplay mods and usually these damages are contained to the save

• Winner x 1
  6. witchknights

I wish I had a software that would organize my stuff. right now it's organized by creator, but I want to sort by category. there was one that made easy to organize like that for ts3 (which i had almost 60gb of mods for) but i havent found one for ts4

• Agree x 1
  7. Verily

Yeah, it definitely didn't organize it. It just moved downloads out of the five levels of subdirectories that some people zipped their download files into, which is a problem when you repeatedly download dozens of files at a time. I could unzip files in batches, no issue, but getting the files out of the unknown number of folders was making my soul sad.

I miiiiight be capable of actually examining a file and discovering what it's supposed to be by now? I know how to actually open files now, which is an improvement. If I know exactly what I'm looking for and where to look for it, I might at least be able to sort it into a folder based on that, though that type of organization wouldn't show up in the game. Hmmmmm.

8. witchknights

I bought it and it arrived last week btw

• Winner x 1
  9. IvyLB

.......... hm that is doing me a temptation, i did not realize it was this easy.
    :thonk:

10. witchknights

wish i knew why i always go to bed way too late before a wednesday, the only day of the week that lasts two years

• Witnessed x 2
  11. witchknights

hard same on the downloading in bursts. I had a lot of trouble on sims 3 with the .package and the .sims3pack divide and the people who would put both files in their zips, because all i did to move my downloads after i unzipped the 50+ files at a time was search *.package and *.sims3pack and move in bulk, so the nesting of folders drove me goddamn insane because i also had to sort that out. i prefer sims 3 to sims 4 in many aspects but i do not miss having to deal with two kinds of files.

all my programming experience was playing with Delphi in highschool and making flash web games in college, so i have no idea how to do anything and get like super impressed that anyone can.

Sims is a bit of an outlier in that, because most games really do require you do horrible things to the game files before mods can work. but TS ships with the expectation that you're going to add custom content because the modding community has been there since the beginning and is a major draw for a lot of people, so they have made life a little bit easier. even making mods (cosmetic mods, that is - i have no idea how script mods are made) is a lot simpler for the sims and fairly straightforward, compared to the way you have to, say, beat Dragon Age Inquisition with a stick and throw sand at it until you annoy the engine into submission.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. IvyLB

gods yes i have heard horror stories about DA:I and mods, even just pulling existing armors out of the gamefiles and putting them into, say, the skyhold clothes folder is a nightmare and a half apparently?

• Witnessed x 1
  13. witchknights

It is. Texture mods are pretty easy to do, strongarming-the-game-wise, but anything that involves messing with meshes is just. Fucky. I have a male elf armor mod that i havent finished yet and i started working on it like, a year after the game launched, and thats because the tools needed to put edited body meshes in the game require the mod to be made in a entirely different tool from the one to edit hair meshes and textures, and that tool couldnt do that reliably until, like, six months ago.

• Witnessed x 3
  14. witchknights

My new apartment!!!! Is going to look!!! So cool!!!!!!!

• Winner x 3
  15. witchknights

20191007_155117.jpg

We had juice and yogurt during physio to illustrate blood dynamics and I got the Halloween color straw

• Winner x 3
  16. witchknights

It is also pretty chilly today for October and so I seized the chance to wear Samhain today and I just. Love that scent. So good and cozy

• Winner x 2
  17. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

(did you see the weenies for this year yet?)

18. witchknights

I did! I want the Samhain hairgloss, one of the Dead Leaves hairgloss, and Must Obtain Dead Leaves and Chai. I've been buying their weenies for like six years at this point so I have a lot of the traditionals, and most of what interested me has oudh and oudh goes straight to dirty litter on me ):

• Witnessed x 1
  19. witchknights

I also liked some of the Dracula scents but they are very similar to things I already own and What Is Money

20. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

oh what a mood

i convinced my parents to spring for some bpal for my birthday so I'm less money-constraint rn but I do plan on getting one of the dracula ones because AESTHETIC

for me it's oak moss that goes right to ammonia on me it's a tragedy, so anything that has oak moss is right out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice