The Witch Of Babbling (blog thread)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by witchknights, Dec 15, 2018.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

2. witchknights

Thank you! I didnt do too well on my midterms so I'm trying to be a little more proactive for the next round haha

3. witchknights

Did i use the four day weekend to catch up on stuff i missed and pre-study for the upcoming classes or did i play six hours of conan exiles and then slept for three days? You have only one chance to guess.

4. witchknights

Dessa songs for my biowareverse characters

Liesyn Surana: 5 to 6
    Garnet Hawke: Warsaw
    Idrilla Lavellan: The Beekeeper
    Joan Shepard: The Crow

5. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

EYES EMOJI
    if you have specific reasoning i'm very [chinhands] at this, i love the reasoning behind assigning songs to characters, and dessa, and the reasoning behind assigning dessa songs to characters

6. witchknights

ooooOOOOHHH how familiar are you with dragon age lore

7. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

nnnot incredibly? i can probably osmosis a significant amount from character backstory, but a quick-n-dirty summary might be good

• Like x 1
  8. witchknights

a patient called me 'doctor' this morning at the clinic for the first time, as in 'oh doctor please help me my arm hurts so much' as soon as i called her name and she kept calling me doctor during her interview even when my preceptor was there and i have been feeling the purest form of 'i need an adultier adult' ever since the first time a kid looked up to me as an adult

like it is just so SHOCKING being called that. im not a doctor yet. i JUST got out of basic cycle and into the clinics. i still have four years to go!! you can't call me that!
    except that i was alone in that office with her and when im alone in that office with a patient i am the medical authority there for all intents and purposes because it is me actually that will go through her symptoms and history and physical exam and test results and come up with hypothesis?????? it doesn't matter that actually i know jack shit and that I need a doctor-er doctor to even log into the system and that i'm being graded for every single stupid shit that comes out of my mouth, cause like. i'm wearing the white coat. i'm carrying the bendy headphone tube. i'm on the other side of the table and i'm THERE to HELP and FIX THINGS and like. when my professors told us that people will see us as doctors even if we are still just med students i was all 'yeah right' because obviously you can see it in my face that i'm obviously just pretending to know what i'm doing but apparently?? yeah??? someone called me doctor this morning???? this is WEIRD this feels WEIRD

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Witnessed x 1
  9. witchknights

also i have one final a day starting monday and going until the other tuesday. the order is:
    blood pump
    blood tube
    blood filter
    things that are structurally wrong with these things and how to fix them
    air sponge
    being sick as a group
    radioactive ways to tell people what's wrong with them

• Like x 1
  10. witchknights

Also i use my customer service voice when i ask patients 'how can i help you today?' and this keeps amazing me because i only worked in customer service for like six months

11. witchknights

ALSO ALSO there was a patient with bilateral symmetrical varicose veins or a web of anomalous veins or something like that... in the palms of her hands!! it was very weird and even my preceptor didnt know what could be causing it

• Informative x 2
  12. witchknights

Got a 67% average on Cardio. Passing grade is 70%. I want to scream

Also I have my pneumo final today at 7:30. It is 4:30 and i only slept two hours. I am so fucked

• Witnessed x 2
  13. witchknights

Ok i'm on my day off so i'm finally going to answer this lmao so sorry
    ok so: generally speaking in Dragon Age you have a bunch of fantasy races, humans and elves being among them (plus dwarves and qunari, who are the original flavor of the setting). Humans are the dominant race with the dominant religion - Andrastianism, which worships a warrior messiah called Andraste. One of the cool things that she did to become a worshipped warrior messiah was defeat the Tevinter Empire, which is a Rome-esque evil empire with slavery and magic fueled by human sacrifices. At her time, humans were enslaved, but the gross of their numbers were elves. Elves used to have this massive empire as well as being super extremely magical and immortal, until the humans arrived in the continent and did Something that made them mortal; these humans enslaved the elves and stole their magic, creating the above mentioned evil Tevinter empire.
    When Andraste defeated the Tevene the empire broke into a variety of other nations, and Andraste's descendants gave the newly-free elves a piece of land called the Dales where they could rebuild their empire. It didn't last long because humans are shit and wanted that land back, so they started a war that drove the elves from their lands again. Some elves were absorbed into human cities and became city elves, living on walled-off alienages and some refused to and became the nomadic clans known as Dalish. While they're not outright enslaved (except on what's left of the Tevinter empire), elves are still considered second-class citizens and not really allowed to be, like, considered fully people.
    Through all that, there is the Blight. the Blights are periodic zombie apocalypses that have hordes of monsters guided by a giant intelligent dragon, that is the corrupted zombie corpse of the Tevene dragon gods. The Blights happen, allegedly, because the most evil things the Tevinter higher-ups did with the stolen magic was try to get to the Golden City, a city in the world of dreams where Andraste said lived the Maker, the god-creator Andraste believed she was the prophetess of. There have been five Blights, lasting anywhere from like two hundred years to 10 months max. They can only be stopped by Grey Wardens.
    Also, because mages did the evil thing, mages are considered innately evil and are also second class citizens; a mage cannot inherit property or titles and they have to live their lives in a prison guarded by anti-magic warrior priests or they are lobotomized.

OK SO WITH THAT OUT OF THE WAY

Liesyn Surana is this very theatrical little cannon ball. She is an elf, and she was born in a city where the elves were instrumental in defeating an enemy but their contributions were forgotten. But why would the elves forget what they did?? They were heroes, they defeated oppressors. They remembered even if the humans swept them under the rug. So she grew up with this... sense of confrontation with the world, and when she found out she was a mage and was sent to the tower she ran with it, because even if the guards and the other mages thought she was a timebomb ticking she would pass all the tests and prove herself, her value, and she has like this terrible hero complex and super intense attitude. She becomes a Grey Warden and saves the day during the shortest Blight ever and ends up being the commander of all the wardens in her country and a noblewoman and the king's misstress and advisor, with an enormous amount of power that she uses for good things, aggressively good things, and people have to recognize her, have to recognize her people. She did some things that were maybe not 100% wise and because she was a teenager at that time she made mistakes that she regrets, and they weigh on her mind, but she doesn't regret things. She's dignified and gracious and passionate and she just doesn't stop being no matter how people mistreat her. So when I heard the song I just thought that it really fit her? idk.

Garnet Hawke... Like she's the protag in DA 2 and the plot of the game is that you start with nothing as a refugee having to be in indentured servitude to criminals just to let your family enter the city, and you do various shady things to help them survive, and things keep happening to make you Important but also it's sad and shady. And, idk, Warsaw just... seems to fit it? Fit her attitude? this part here "And I sleep/ With both eyes open/ Standing up/ Alone and holding / Off the rust/ And I'm still living by my maiden name/ The name I came with/ The name I made" just... fits her. DA2 has the less RPGy protagonist because so much of your backstory and stuff is predetermined but this is just a really good Hawke song.

Idrilla Lavellan is a future Keeper of the Dalish - she's a mage priestess in training, supposed to be a leader in an ethnic group that is struggling to survive, to recreate their lost religion, their lost language, their lost homeland, who aren't accepted anywhere, that are nomadic because no place welcomes them for too long. She's trying to keep her people together in the face of despair and anihilation and assimilation, and give them hope and guidance when she doesn't have any answers, when she's struggling with her circumstances. She is sworn to protect them, to provide for them, to heal them, and she works so so hard for it but it is so hard and she struggles so much. and I just think that The Beekeeper is such a nice fit for this and the circumstances... "sweet Prometheus, come home, they took away our fire", the whole verse about the surgeon and the farmer. it fits. it has a sweetness and a bit of desperation and it fits her character i guess

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    • Winner x 1
  14. witchknights

LIKE Idrilla has these amazing reality bending magic powers and what is she trained to use them for? for clearing undergrowth in forests, for making fires, preserving food, building caravans. it's just a tool for her to do practical things for people and it is a humble practical aspect and it's all kinda fucked because of game plot and aaaaaaaa idrilla is my baby

• Winner x 1
  15. witchknights

I GOT A 93% ON MY CARDIO FINAL FINAL. REMEDIAL EXAM THING.

• Winner x 3
  16. witchknights

I have never sewn anything more complex than a tote bag, so of course I am looking at how to make a fully boned plus size victorian corset.

17. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

and i support you!

I went from 'the most complicated plushie I ever did was a really simple cloud, in elementary school' to 'humanoid robot. with zipper and compartment and smaller companion robot'

Join me in hubris (and remember: it's only hubris if you fail)

• Like x 1
  18. witchknights

I am thinking i could maybe do a small one, on a smaller scale, to maybe work out how to do things??? I was going to get sewing classes this year during winter vacation to learn how to make my own clothes but corona happened :'^) and i really, really want a corset

19. TheOwlet

honestly, from personal experience: small items tend to be harder than big ones, because you got so much less space to navigate while stille holding the item, even if you have it on the sewing machine.

• Informative x 1
  20. TheOwlet

so maybe start with a simpler corset cut that's to size, or at least roughly, but keep the bells and whistles off for now to simply that way?

• Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice