The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (a thread for Potterheads)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Soul, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Some of these things, like the area 51 bit, have also been discussed over in OOC Hogwarts Stuff (24 pages), which led to the creation of Sage Academy (only about 3 pages).

I'll come back to add links in a bit

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    • Like x 2
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I know, but there was a fair bit of ritual... what's the best word, self-harm? Bloodletting and stuff like
    drawing thorns through tongues
    . That's what I was referring to with the blood magic and ideological conflict with the Aztecs, who did human sacrifice for everything.

Didn't know "Mayan" as an adjective was wrong, oops.

• Like x 1
  3. raginghearts

raginghearts Well-Known Member

I remember, a long time ago, one of my friends and I were talking about the American Wizarding Armed forces (because, let's face it, this is America and we do so love our armed forces and I get the feeling the Wizarding world would be no different) and we decided that, in true American fashion, the American Wizarding Army would do absolutely ridiculous things to get advantage in battle.
    Such as training dragons (or at least attempting to).

• Like x 10
  4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

are you saying that you wouldn't try to train a dragon

because i would absolutely try to train a dragon

....."RELEASE THE NARGLES"

• Like x 8
  5. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

there is a rumor about attempts to make bigfoot-human hybrid super soldiers, among other things

what are the thoughts on aliens? america seems to be pretty big on them

• Like x 5
  6. kmoss

kmoss whoops

house elves

• Like x 2
  7. bornofthesea670

kids are told to keep their dorms clean, theres a janitor for most of the non-dorm places, a probably very odd gardener (we will have pretty desert plants gosh darnit, you don't need grass or lots of water for landscaping...) and i like the idea of harpy cooks, just because harpies are great and i am sad i have yet to meet one in Skyrim you don't have to kill. kids compete to sneak into the kitchen and successfully escape with empanadas or cookies.

....i might make a cook. as a side character. if i manage to join this at all, ahhh I'm bad at remembering to

• Like x 4
  8. bornofthesea670

wait i think i mixed myself up with the threads, lol i just read through the Sage one

• Like x 2
  9. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

Full of muggle tourists, though

Maybe Alcatraz is a decoy for the real, invisible island prison nearby

(maybe the real prison is underneath it)

• Like x 5
  10. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

Damn it I have five billion stories as is

• Like x 5
  11. LadyNighteyes

Aliens are a cover story for a mixture of drunk wizard frat shenanigans and supernatural creatures which are not aliens.

• Like x 5
  12. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I mean i did say that Rifka (veela girl) was giving stories about weird flying things a boost after school...

13. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

in JKR's "defense," I go to a very definitely American school and it has Houses! and has done for a while, too. to be fair it was deliberately copying the British boarding school tradition, but I don't find it too outlandish for British Wizarding settlers in America to have copied the homeland in that regard. especially since, in the colonial era, sending your kids to school in Britain as a sign of class was very much A Thing. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of rich American kids ended up going to Hogwarts in that period, and the slightly less rich ones would go to the American Hogwarts clone. that said, though, I think my school is legit the only American one with Houses, and they're more like dorms than anything else (although we do have a House Cup and House bonding and shit like that). and JKR's explanation of how Ilvermorny got its Houses is still super shitty, so.

(off topic, people were sharing their Hogwarts houses upthread, and by the Sorting Hat Chats system I am a Gryffindor primary/Ravenclaw secondary, although my Gryff primary is a very structured one. I'm pretty sure that if I were to go to Hogwarts I would end up in Ravenclaw, and eleven-year-old me definitely would. I didn't see any other Kintsugijin as Gryffindors, though; anybody know what's up with that?)

• Like x 5
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

no, it's absolutely plausible that there'd be at least one wizarding school in america that blatantly based itself off hogwarts. the weirdnesses are in it being the only school (????) and what little i know about its houses origins.

• Like x 6
  15. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

it might just be skewed by the type of people we've got on here
    there's a lot of ravenclaws cause this is full of people who like learning stuff

• Like x 5
  16. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I'm a slytherclaw who has been realizing more and more he's most likely some kind of Hufflepuff.

17. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

that's a fair cop; I mean, I'm a Ravenclaw, and I'm on here at least partially 'cause I like learning stuff, so. I'm just wondering why there aren't more... idk, I guess "strongly moral" is pretty close, although that implies judgement that I don't want to convey? people who are upset that things are wrong, sort of intrinsically, and would like to fight for those things, even if they actually can't. that's what I'm drawing on when I say I'm a Gryffindor primary, and I'm a little surprised that there aren't that many people like that here, because Kintsugijin seem to feel prejudice pretty keenly. although I guess the sort of "this is Right, that is Bad" instinct might tend to push people more towards, like, the anti side of things, huh. luckily my brain will accept arguments as to why Bad things are actually Right and why Right things are actually kinda nuanced; it's subject to logic, but viscerally emotional.

• Like x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

The internet has tragically failed to provide me with a suitable picture of an eagle wearing sunglasses to proclaim my intense Ravenclawness.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Like x 2
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'm a Gryffindor Primary/Slytherin Secondary last time I checked.

• Like x 2
  20. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

im some kind of huffelpuff/slytherin thing. either a super burned huffelpuff primary or a slytherin primary, but definitly a slytherin secondary.

im mainly using sortinghatchats sorting system (primary = why and secondary = how) but also the two times i took the pottermore quiz i got slytherin and huffelpuff, which counts for something i guess. im still slightly resentful that i could never figure out the website :/

also @esotericPrognosticator i have a pretty strong moral compass (strong in this case meaning "stubborn" and not "objectively correct") but it's spurred much more by loyalty than by ideals. ive considered gryf because i do think some things are just Bad and Wrong but the reasoning behind that is always some variation of "this thing hurt someone i care about".

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice