The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (a thread for Potterheads)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Soul, Aug 27, 2015.

1. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

apparently the cursed child was originally nine hours long.

i learned this while talking to the guy who shortened it, over lobster, last night.

what is my life and also this is really cool guys.

• Like x 11
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

3. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Whaaaat.

• Like x 1
  4. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

that's impressive

• Like x 1
  5. peripheral

It's now like, not quite as long.

Apparently he had to fight Jo (as he calls her) every step of the way for the cuts, or something.

Also: I HAD TO EXPLAIN FANFIC TO THE GUY WHO HELPED ON THE CURSED CHILD

WHAT

• Like x 9
  6. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I demand details. what got cut. who decided Delphi should have circa-early-2000s-fanfic hair.

• Like x 5
  7. peripheral

I didn't ask those questions but I might. I haven't actually read it yet.

Apparently James used to be a REALLY BIG CHARACTER

Because he was supposed to exist as what Albus thought Harry was like.

• Like x 3
  8. peripheral

Also I DON'T KNOW IF I'M EVER SEEING THIS GUY AGAIN

so i don't know if i can ask questions

but he basically said that Rowling had a lore-checker person, and also that she would not let characters act in a way she thought was OOC.

Also this guy i was talking to was a malfoy apologist and this made me so happy.

Also there was supposed to be more Dumbledore originally.

• Like x 6
  9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

With loyalties that is pretty accurate to how I am, yes. While I do have strong loyalty to my beliefs and what not my people come first and foremost. Which makes me hideously biased. If you are in the tuath then great you are loved and precious and I will fight tooth and nail for you. If you are not though that depends. Heavily. While I'm generally fine and try to keep peace with most I know there are just some that I do not want around myself or those who are deemed part of the tuath.

• Like x 2
  10. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

I took a version of the Patronus quiz with all the questions included, and it told me mine would be a magpie. going into it I thought I should have a crow or raven, but upon looking into it I discovered that I very much see aspects of myself in the European magpie (or the American black-billed magpie, which is almost identical). also they're pretty! I have concluded that my Patronus (or daemon, for that matter) would definitely be some kind of corvid, and now I think it's more likely to be a magpie than a crow or a raven, although it also depends on what size of bird would be most convenient. so yeah, the complete Patronus quiz did a pretty good job for me, and I wasn't giving it super consistent, stereotypical answers, either. :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    • Like x 3
  11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It'd be nice to have a list of all the possible results too. (I got a shrew with the full test. Might try retaking it but I'm very :/ about any result it gives rn.)

edit: I say that, and then Google provides.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    • Like x 3
  12. Aondeug

Fuck my life I want to work through Harry Potter in Irish. At least the first book. But I do not want to spend 20 dollars on the book and I can't find a pdf like I could with it in Arabic.

why have i been cursed so

grumble mutters and buys harry potter

13. Aondeug

oh yay i found a cheaper copy. THANK CHRIST.

I also initially panicked because one of the editions I found in Irish was like 40+ USD. At least it wasn't like the horrors of looking at Arabic editions. The first book was a couple hundred dollars compared to the later books in Arabic being like 17. Was a strange time.

14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I talked to my sibling today and I felt you guys needed to hear thoughts about the Patronus quiz which included:
    • "I got a sparrowhawk and I want that to be a reference but it's probably not"
    • "Maybe thestrals aren't over-weighted in the complete quiz, it's just that most people with thestral Patronuses can't see them"
    • "Whenever someone can't produce a Patronus it's probably because their Patronus is a thestral and they haven't seen death so they don't know it's there"
    • "??? Nothing happened but the dementor ran away???"
    • "I should have gotten an octopus"
    • *discussion of various methods of octopus Patronus locomotion*
    • *discussion of an octopus patronus doing the two-tentacle octopus run at a group of dementors with two other tentacles waving threateningly above its head*

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like x 13
  15. Aondeug

I am now reading Harry Potter as Gaeilge. It is very, very hard. But I really do like I it. Voldemort gets called Mac-an-Té-Úd-Eile by most people in it. Which comes out something like Son of that other person in question. The Philosopher's Stone meanwhile is An Órloch. I have absolutely no fucking idea what that means. Witchcraft gets translated out as draíodóireachta which means "conjuring" and is related to draoíochta which is "magic". Both share their roots in the word druídecht which means "Druid Art".

• Like x 5
  16. raginghearts

raginghearts Well-Known Member

thank you and your sibling for making me wheeze-laugh for like, a minute straight

• Like x 5
  17. LadyNighteyes

Other methods of octopus patronus locomotion discussed included "octopus-on-land aggressively squelching forward" and "stick two tentacles out to the side and flap them really hard like squishy wings."

• Like x 3
  18. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

don't Patronuses (...should be Patroni, actually, but eh) sort of float anyway? like, I remember their being described as bounding or twisting through the air, and I'm pretty sure those were land animals. so an octopus Patronus could just kinda do its jetty octopus-y thing, which would probably make it look like an angry glowing balloon, but hey, whatever works.

fake edit: what if glowing Patronus octopus ink though like it would just spray the dementors

• Like x 5
  19. LadyNighteyes

That was considered, and agreed to be boring when it could do the octopus run at them. :::PPP
    3wXMF13.gif

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like x 8
  20. Pesh

Pesh schtroumph

Ngl I'm super hyped for fantastic beasts.
    Even if for something supposedly set in America (?) it looks astonishingly white and london-y

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice