The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (a thread for Potterheads)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Soul, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Hearing about what an evil Hufflepuff would look like reminded me of The Sorting Hat Chats - it's a method of sorting that also includes speculation about what it looks like when each House goes bad in a variety of ways. I'll quote directly from their site but here's a brief explanation of how they sort first:

TSHC sorting is based on why people do things and how they do things, so each person is sorted into two Houses - a Primary (motivation) and a Secondary (method). Primary and Secondary Houses can be different - for example, by their method Harry is Gryffindor (Primary)/Gryffindor (Secondary), while Hermione and Ron are both Gryffindor/Ravenclaw and Ginny is Slytherin/Griffindor.

Here's a post explaining the basics, but even more basically: Slytherins and Hufflpuffs are motivated by loyalty, Gryffindors and Ravenclaws by idealism. Slytherin Secondaries are adaptable and Gryffindors are direct; Hufflepuff Secondaries persevere and Ravenclaws plan.
    I need to stop before I write a novel on the subject (I've sorted myself, my family members, my friends, other people's friends that I happened to meet, my characters, other people's characters, and so on and so forth) but here's a link to their sorting of a few characters from the books, and detailed explanations of why they've sorted them they way they have.

Oh, and while Pottermore gave me Ravenclaw, which I find acceptable as cloud-cuckoolander House, TSHC gives me Slytherin/Ravenclaw, which makes more sense to me.

• Like x 7
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Dang, I like that. Systems that separate motivation and method just tickle my fancy.

Ravenclaw Primaries have a constructed system that they test their decisions against before they feel comfortable calling something right. This system might be constructed by them, or it might have been taught to them as children, or it might have been discovered by them some point later in life. But it gives them a way to frame the world and a confidence in their ability to interact with it morally.

Ravenclaws do not lack an intuitive sense of morality or gut feeling about things, but they distrust those instincts and have a need to ignore or to dig down deep and dissect those internal moral impulses. Living within their built moral system is as important to a Ravenclaw as to a Gryffindor; it’s the source of the morality that differs between them–what they trust.
    suits me pretty darn well in that system...and
    Hufflepuff Secondaries toil. Their strength comes from their consistency and the integrity of their method. They’re our hard workers. They build habits and systems for themselves and accomplish things by keeping at them. They have a steadiness that can make them the lynchpin (though not usually the leader) of a community. While stereotyped as liking people and being kind (and this version is perhaps a common reality), a Hufflepuff secondary can also easily be a caustic, introverted misanthrope who runs on hard work alone.
    seems pretty plausible.

• Like x 2
  3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I think I'm your inverse, swirlingflight.

Hufflepuff’s loyalties are broader than Slytherin’s, the other loyalist House. This can take several forms. A Hufflepuff can be loyal to a broader concept of people than the Slytherin– Slytherins have a few people who aretheirs, while Hufflepuffs are more likely to be loyal to people in general. One common form of the Hufflepuff is the dedication to the idea that “every person is a person.”
    Hufflepuffs don’t need to be empathetic. They don’t have to be kind or warm or soft– they have to be fair and they have to be loyal. That’s the heart of it. You can have loyalty to people without liking people.

Ravenclaw secondaries gather information, or build problem-solving systems that become vital in times of stress and danger, invent powerful things or processes, or build real-world systems like lists, redundant supplies, skills, and schedulings. When they’re tossed into danger or stress and forced to survive, they don’t thrive on quick thinking. They don’t succeed by having people to fall back on or to call on. Ravenclaw secondaries will already have something in their mental or physical pockets that they can pull out and use.

• Like x 3
  4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

dang, that's cool

I'd copy and paste but I'm on my phone

so
    I'm slytherin/slytherin, but I model ravenclaw secondary

• Like x 2
  5. swirlingflight

I get to be the mirror twin. I could totally rock a goatee.

6. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

My friend and I were sorting our characters for a shared rp universe and of the two big bads one (the more important/personal one) is a Hufflepuff and the other is a Ravenclaw. Yres, the Hufflepuff, is partly motivated by pure bitterness at his best friends who he feels betrayed him (and tbf they all betrayed each other), but he also genuinely wants to keep his clan safe and happy and fair at the expense of everyone else, even if that means waging war against his former comrades and destroying human villages in order to find the scarce few that can be turned into demons to bolster his ranks. I think he's a good enough example of Hufflepuff evil.

(Also hi, I was one of those kids who was convinced they were a Ravenclaw but got Pottermore sorted Slytherin 3 times, and on the big all Pottermore questions test somewhere. I am really shitty at self assessment and tbh at this point I don't think I'd be in any house but Slytherin seems to fit enough?)

• Like x 1
  7. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

IDK. Kanaya did basically at one point in time control the future of her entire species. She also has that thing where she has her people and they are hers and if you fuck with them you get the chainsaw going on. I would put her in Slytherin. She's not one for making enemies needlessly or for rushing in madly where angels fear to dread (Gryffindor), she's not particularly learned OR cloud-cuckoo ish (Ravenclaw) and she's not a big follower (Hufflepuff) even though some of her hobbies are practical. (I mean I make dresses too and I am such a snake.)

Porrim also, keep in mind, managed to keep herself involved with everyone and aware of everything, which is Slytherin. I would totally put the Maryams in our house. Rose is the one I can never decide on. On the one hand she seems to be more motivated by knowledge than power and she does some really stupid things in search of knowledge that a lot of Slytherins would say no to (white text lol) but we can do that kind of stupid if we think we can control something that we really can't, or if we're defending.

• Like x 1
  8. cleverThylacine

Nah I like 'em too.

9. cleverThylacine

IDK, Hufflepuff in canon specifically accepts EVERYBODY. I don't see them as dehumanising people that easily.

10. cleverThylacine

I cannot decide if my secondary would be Slytherin or Ravenclaw but primary is for sure Slytherin.

• Like x 1
  11. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Rose is a light player. She is to light to not be snake. I usually put Kanaya in Ravenclaw, though I suppose that makes sense for Kanaya in that light. Slytherin that is. Rose I can't really place anywhere other than snake land though. She is just snek. ALL THE BEST CHARACTERS ARE SLYTHERIN NOW (the best being the maryams, rose, and aranea).

12. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

(nothing to add, except that this discussion is beautiful)
    (also i am so completely here for Dumbledore hate)

• Like x 1
  13. Aondeug

I now want to write Harry Potterstuck fic. Like just some short one off piece of shit.

• Like x 2
  14. raginghearts

raginghearts Well-Known Member

Dang work making me miss all this cool house discussion >8U

I've been pretty consistently sorted into Hufflepuff on pretty much all sites; Pottermore especially. Once in a blue moon it'll give me Gryffindor but for the most part I'm just not assertive or confrontational enough for a Gryffindor.

Oooh, though, more sorting stuff!! 8D I'm still definitely a Hufflepuff primary, but... honestly idk what I'd be for a secondary. None of them really scream "YES THIS IS ME"...

re: house colors, personally I like Gryffindor's colors the best because I really love warm colors and red/gold is one of my fave color combinations. But green/silver is pretty too... I'm kind of neutral about blue/bronze and yellow/black.
    though I just now noticed that, out of all the houses, Hufflepuff is the only one that doesn't have a metal color in it. I am disappoint. :C

• Like x 1
  15. swirlingflight

Hufflepuff is so metal it doesn't need a metal color.

• Like x 6
  16. cleverThylacine

Gold is a metal. This is why I like the blue-and-silver RC colours from the movies.

Gryffindor is Red with Gold metal
    Hufflepuff is Black with Gold metal
    Ravenclaw is Blue with Silver metal
    Slytherin is Green with Silver metal.

Also Gryffindor is Fire, Hufflepuff is Earth, Ravenclaw is Air and Slytherin is Water (JKR even confirmed this though she certainly would disagree with many of my other theories) so it kinda works.

• Like x 2
  17. cleverThylacine

Snek.

I identify best with Jade personally which is funny because she is probably not snek like me but then again I have a sleep disorder from hell too. I actually identify with all the Space players. But that may be because all Space players are obsessed with fashion and image, from Jade with her many different outfits & furry stuff starting out to Kanaya with her fashion designs and Porrim with her body art and Calliope with her cosplays...

18. raginghearts

I wasn't sure whether Hufflepuff's yellow counted as gold since, for all the other houses, the metal color is the secondary accent color, but for Hufflepuff, yellow is its main color--and yellow completes the RGBY theme, whereas black doesn't. Which is why I didn't count Hufflepuff's yellow as gold |D

• Like x 1
  19. Aondeug

I identify most with the Maryams. Porrim in particular. I am not really a fashiony sort of person though I do like to sew. It's relaxing if occasionally super frustrating because ARTRGTHFN OCD STOP IT NOW. My creativity is spent elsewhere. Mostly in writing, though I do rather like roleplaying and acting. And origami. I am definitely the over protective fussy mom/older sister sort though. With a vision. A VISION OF CRUSHING THE HORROR THAT IS THE BUDDHIST PATRIARCHY. CARVING OUT A WORLD WHERE EVERYONE CAN BE A SUPREME PATRIARCH. Except like with a different name because yeah man. Also everyone being allowed to be named Buddhas. There is some serious bullshit in everyone can be an Arahant but only men can be Buddhas.

Really though fussers gotta fuss and by the gods I will fucking end you if you fuck with my people. I love many people and try to be generally agreeable and keep the peace. My people come first though and I will fight tooth and nail for them.

• Like x 1
  20. raginghearts

[​IMG]

• Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice