Therapeutic neglect

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Elph, Jun 30, 2016.

1. I'll start from the top, then. Have you taken out the trash?

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'll go through part of my Document Shame Pile if you vacuum. :::PPP

3. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

My roommate did the vacuuming already D:
    I can go take the trash out now, though.
    *edit* Done! It wasn't actually very full, but my roommate had taken the bag out of the bin and tied it up like it was ready to go out, so. Yeah.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Kitchen!
    Okay, I have no ideas on that as I am not allowed there (it has dangerous things like microwave ovens I might set on fire and sharp objects I might forget to put down before having a rage attack) but there is cleaning things that can be done there! (besides the aforementioned setting on fire).

• Like x 2
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Do any dishes that are lying around. If there are any obvious ones that have accumulated in your room, get those out too.

6. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

hey, Elph, have you taken the trash out? it might be a good idea to do, like, a surface-level scan for additional trash in your room as well. don't worry about digging it all up, just get what you can see.

edit: didn't see other peoples' prompting. huh. feel free to ignore mine if you're going to do theirs.

additional edit: oh, and you took out the trash. my reading comprehension is A+ today. my suggestion for a surface-level scan of the room still stands, though! you could still look for trash, or maybe clothes or some other reasonably common category of thing. papers, maybe?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  7. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Pick up laundries you may have dropped around the room since you last picked up laundries.

8. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

stack up books and paper stuff that isn't trash

9. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Do you have any clean clothes that are not put away yet? If so, next time you check this thread, be sure to fold up five items and put them in their drawers.

10. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

ok i just had a lightbulb because i just realized the fact that i think it's significant progress that i manage to do 25-50% of the things i want to do in a day is a sign that things are wrong. i thought that was a sorta normal state of existence.

also, do you guys have a recycling bin? looked like you had a lot of plastic bottle trash around (if you dont anymore, hey, good job!) but being able to specifically look for recyclable trash and get what you can see of that out of the way could be a good thing! and also helping the environment! (if you dont have designated recycling trash I also understand, separating stuff out to be recycled is also exhausting)

• Like x 1
  11. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

oh! i just remembered another thing I was going to say: a friend of mine started successfully working on strength exercising because of a tip she learned that might help you!
    basically it's a every time you do something you're guaranteed to do in a day, you have to do another thing when you're finished. hers was every time she uses the bathroom she had to do a ten second plank. but like, idk, you could do something like clean up a few pieces of trash or something like that? .3.

12. Elph

Just now I took out the garbage and the recycling! Including all the glass I had hoarded in my room.
    I hold onto empty wine bottles (this is a Scottish household, there are a lot of them) to keep in my room for times when I'm too scared/cold/tired to go to the bathroom to pee. I have a funnel that I bought specifically for this purpose. I was scared of my mother coming to visit/help me unfuck my room because first of all, she's straightedge and things that getting drunk at parties makes me an alcoholic, and secondly I don't want to reassure her by saying "don't worry, those are just bottles of my urine".
    There's still a lot of other recycling in here, but same problem as before, really. I didn't get any unfucking done yesterday. Today, though, I think I've been doing well - at least in terms of keeping my head in one place.

I'm trying to practice "monotasking", because I compulsively multitask to a detrimental degree, and I've been doing a lot of it today. I didn't have to listen to musicals to go take out the garbage and recycling, and I even went to Subway on the way back to pick up a sandwich without bringing anything to occupy myself while I waited for it.

Just now, I was looking up the number to call the clinic to ask about my occupational therapy, and as I was about to type it in the phone rang. And I answered it! (That's still hard for me to do.) And it was my new OT, making an appointment with me for Thursday. How good is that?

I did mention to her on the phone that my old OT was disorganised/inconsistent, and that I've been asked to move out because of the difficulties I'm having, and she was very reassuring about her approach being much more structured. So that's good :)

• Like x 9
  13. Elph

Taking notes for myself for when I see the new OT:
    • Subtly emphasise that therapeutic neglect is why I'm being kicked out of my home, just to make sure she knows that I really need this help
    • Talk about food shopping (ED remnants make it difficult)
    • Also talk about difficulty cooking (secondary to difficulty food shopping)
    • Need help with paperwork type things (benefits, Student Finance, job applications)
    • Need help looking for a new place to live
    • Want help applying for a new course of study (will need extra support if I do become a student again)
    • Increasingly bad concentration issues & need to occupy myself through multiple channels of intellectual input at once, to the extent that this hampers my ability to Do Shit such as feed myself and go to bed
    • Need help with stuff relating to the things I can't talk about without crying

• Like x 2
  14. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

that's awesome! you've done a lot of work on your room and you should be proud of yourself!

I'm also rly impressed by your notes for your new OT. I always mean to make a list of things to talk about w my psychiatrist, and I always forget to do that, so I end up only talking to him about half the things I meant to bring up

• Like x 2
  15. Elph

An update:
    • My new OT is great, but next week will probably be the last time I see her, because I'm moving to London!
    • Seriously though, check out my room!!!
    WIN_20160801_13_36_30_Pro.jpg IMG_20160810_165207_655.jpg IMG_20160810_165156_773.jpg

Compared to before:
    IMG_20160705_101950_387.jpg IMG_20160705_102009_636.jpg IMG_20160705_102035_534.jpg

I moved the bed - still got a bad habit of accumulating stuff on the side where I'm not sleeping (currently: some dishes, sketchbook/pen/paper, a few toiletries) so I'm thinking I'll grab the beaten-up-but-still-usable thing I was using before as a bedside table. Better a cluttered bedside table next to a completely usable bed than a cluttered bed!

Still, it's exciting enough that I HAVE A USABLE BED.
    WIN_20160801_13_36_23_Pro.jpg
    A REAL LIVE BED!

• Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice