there are no rules in kintsugi

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by fake and gay, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Your feelings were not an afterthought. I'm going to leave you to it for now I guess. I hope you feel better soon.

2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

That makes sense.

I'm curious about this. Had you noticed the content warnings other people often used in the time you've been here?

Okay. But what if it's not "necessary"? What if it's up to you to decide what you can and can't deal with, and if you can't, you can just say "okay, if you think it needs a cw, feel free to add one"? Or you can argue with us. Because I am really big on trying to preserve user autonomy as much as possible, and by most people's standards rather more than is a good idea.

We can totally add a thing about content warnings to the protocol guideline stuff. But! I think you're still expecting a forum that isn't this one. Like, for one thing, as of this writing, we don't have anyone on post moderation who hasn't asked to be on post moderation. We've had people on post mod temporarily without actual permission and engagement, but it's never been a lasting thing.

I'm offering situations that are technically within the scope of what you described, but are very different in other ways. Personal vent threads are still public threads!

Nope! I do not have such an expectation, and no, we won't necessarily moderate to reflect that expectation. We will consider it. In this case, you were super upset by that, so I didn't go edit it more or whatever, because clearly in this case the distress to you was a big problem. And that's the key thing: There's basically nothing that we'll do "regardless of any OP's feelings on the matter". There's probably situations where we'll act first, ask questions later... But we'll still ask the questions and talk to people and try to work things out. In short, OP's feelings will continue to matter. So there's a ton of case-by-case going on here.

Okay, so the thing is: I totally get this, but in this case, it's not that there's actual definite rules which are mostly unspoken. (Okay, rigs has a point about the spambot rule.) It's that we really are talking about a different kind of thing than the rules you're thinking of. I have spent my whole life hating it when people won't tell me the rules, so I understand that, and I'm not doing that thing. I'm doing a different thing which is more confusing but less innately incompatible with autism.

3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Ah, okay, this defines 'rule' as Seebs is using. In the context of f&g's questions especially, I think they're somewhere between the if-x-then-y and the social rules definition, closer to the social rules usage. But slightly in that in-between space because a lot of forums will try to pin down the social rules in a hard and fast, consequence-based way, and also because surprise modly post editing can have a very punishment-flavored feel to it, especially if you're already starting from a bad place and not primed to look for the most charitable explanation.

So some of the stuff is already being addressed up above, like thinking Bel was making a regular old yes/no request, and not being aware of the guidelines thread. But in terms of future issues, if they have more questions, I get the feeling that it's more like when I get upset because of the 'tisms and there are a million social rules that I'm tripping over on my own, and when I ask questions, people are acting like there aren't rules at all and what am I talking about? And from where I'm standing, that's obviously untrue, and asking me to believe that is kind of insulting.

I'm really exhausted and probably not completely parsing all the conversation that's been happening up above, but if f&g has any more questions about forum rules to address, it might work best to approach them as questions about the forum culture and general social guidelines (maybe unspoken) that result from that, and particularly what sorts of deviation from those guidelines are likely to result in pushback from the mods.

• Like x 5
  4. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

You have an excellent point that a lack of Rules makes this forum difficult for some people. I don't think that can be denied and I don't think dancing around the point does any one any good.

On the other hand, the experience of the proprietor (that would be seebs) is that the presence of detailed Rules makes forums difficult for a lot more people. So, on balance, seebs has decided to run this place on a "no Rules" (kinda sorta) basis.

I don't see a good way to accommodate both those who need Rules and those who cannot abide Rules. Maybe there is, but we haven't found it yet.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Agree x 6
    • Like x 2
  5. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Oh, the joys of posting and catching up from mobile. Some of this I managed to cover in my last post, but if you try to approximate a definition of 'necessary' that isn't dictionary-perfect, but is more a mashup of what the forum expects, what people in the forum will get upset about, and what will draw mod attention and/or action, I think that's more the line they're asking about. Which is still a very fluffy, hard-to-define line, and it's still open to debate, but it narrows down the parameters enough that a response might not be DEFINITE, but it will still help them define the bounds of what is Accepted, etc. All very fluffy social terminology, but from the other side of the conversation, it's hard to bring things down from philosophy into practical usage.

6. fake and gay

fake and gay Member

I broke the quoting thing and can't fix it, seebwords are started with >

>That makes sense.

good

>I'm curious about this. Had you noticed the content warnings other people often used in the time you've been here?

>Okay. But what if it's not "necessary"? What if it's up to you to decide what you can and can't deal with, and if you can't, you can just say "okay, if you think it needs a cw, feel free to add one"? Or you can argue with us. Because I am really big on trying to preserve user autonomy as much as possible, and by most people's standards rather more than is a good idea.

I actually would have been fine with having mod assistance on the cw if I knew someone had to do it beforehand

but I didn't know and I wasn't asked and that's my purse I don't know you etc

that's the whole point

>We can totally add a thing about content warnings to the protocol guideline stuff. But! I think you're still expecting a forum that isn't this one. Like, for one thing, as of this writing, we don't have anyone on post moderation who hasn't asked to be on post moderation. We've had people on post mod temporarily without actual permission and engagement, but it's never been a lasting thing.

I'm really, truly not. I'm just expecting better out of this shitshow and I'm asking for it because I believe it's possible to get

I'm perfectly aware of how weird things are moderation wise, that is, as hands off as you can manage. you don't have to do that thing you do where you share all your nth repeated anecdotal evidence to prove a point

>I'm offering situations that are technically within the scope of what you described, but are very different in other ways. Personal vent threads are still public threads!

it's still not what I asked, though

I was being specific on purpose and I don't appreciate the forced big picture. next time just answer the actual question instead of the question you want to be answering instead

>Nope! I do not have such an expectation, and no, we won't necessarily moderate to reflect that expectation. We will consider it. In this case, you were super upset by that, so I didn't go edit it more or whatever, because clearly in this case the distress to you was a big problem. And that's the key thing: There's basically nothing that we'll do "regardless of any OP's feelings on the matter". There's probably situations where we'll act first, ask questions later... But we'll still ask the questions and talk to people and try to work things out. In short, OP's feelings will continue to matter. So there's a ton of case-by-case going on here.

if there is no expectation that triggery posts are content warned for then why did Beldaran ask me to spoiler it and why did you edit my post in the first place what the fuck are you even talking about, of course there's an expectation. stop it

>Okay, so the thing is: I totally get this, but in this case, it's not that there's actual definite rules which are mostly unspoken. (Okay, rigs has a point about the spambot rule.) It's that we really are talking about a different kind of thing than the rules you're thinking of. I have spent my whole life hating it when people won't tell me the rules, so I understand that, and I'm not doing that thing. I'm doing a different thing which is more confusing but less innately incompatible with autism.

as spockandawe just pointed out above, there definitely are rules in my book and my book is not completely outside reality and it sucks to be told over and over that there are not rules when I was just today moderated over one against my wishes

i'd appreciate an attempt to not incessantly nitpick at my words, i know you come by it honestly but i believe in your ability to ask clarifying questions instead of acting like the things i'm saying are wrong at the core

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  7. fake and gay

fake and gay Member

I know this now

in the beginning it was not as obvious, as the first addressed concern was to shield my feefees from view

8. Beldaran

The first addressed concern was the very real emergency of the possibility of having multiple suicidal people on my hands because of one suicidal person's untagged suicide planning.

After trying to make sure that cascade wouldn't happen I had the ability to pay attention to you in the specific. Ensuring that you were the only one I had to pay attention to was as much for your sake as it was for others'.

• Agree x 4
  9. fake and gay

fake and gay Member

same difference to me

I never said it was the most logical way to feel about it

10. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, this is hard, and I'm not smart today, so I'm gonna sort of try to express a thing.

I don't have an expectation that people will content-warn stuff, in general, because I have observed that this is not consistently a thing. I do have an expectation that, in general, people will be amenable to content-warning type things if other people request them. Like, that they won't specifically be offended at the suggestion that there should be content warnings. But even then, it's not that it's necessary, it's that it's probably a pretty good idea unless you have a strong reason to object.

So, lemme use an example from conversations I've seen elsewhere, adapted a bit.

Situation #1: User A mentions having been raped. User B is upset because they would have preferred a spoiler tag or something. User B fusses, User A responds "lol no tags are bad".

Situation #2: User A mentions having been raped. User B is upset because they would have preferred a spoiler tag or something. User B fusses, User A freaks out. They've just gotten out of an abusive household where it was extra super forbidden for them to ever talk about the thing or refer to it or mention it, even in contexts like "no, I do not want to go out for dinner with the person who raped me". It is a huge trigger for them to conceal this information in any way.

In situation #1, I might well say "you know what, tags are important to other people, i don't really care much about your dislike for tags". In situation #2, I might say "okay, but could you try to keep from bringing it up in the recipe thread?"

In situation #1, we're comparing a user's actual triggers to another user's mild distaste for a slight inconvenience. In situation #2, we're talking about actual triggers all around, and I'm more inclined to try to find a way to be accommodating, or consider a compromise solution of some kind.

So what I think I'm running into is... From my point of view, the fact that I can come up with a case where I might well say "okay, you have a legit reason to refuse to spoiler this, I'm not gonna argue with you about that right now" means that I don't really have a generic expectation that people will always content-warn stuff. I do have an expectation that they'll usually do it if someone asks politely, I guess?

So I'll at least add something about content-warning to the guidelines post. Possibly not tonight, I need to think more and my head hurts.

EDIT: I still owe you a more coherent response on the "same or different question" thing but I cannot brains today. Feel free to nag me if I space it off.

• Informative x 6
  11. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I am tired and have started drinking with no immediate plans of stopping or being a real person at any time tonight, so I'm throwing this out there because it seems the time and place and I'm the one who does the FAQ.

There is currently a technical how-to for how to warn for triggers in the 'community basics' section of the FAQ. I had assumed this implied that triggers would be something to consider in participating in the community (I am sometimes very, very allistic). Should there be a FAQ explicitly stating that the use of trigger warnings is expected as a general principal in threads treated as communal?

Alternately, if the implication is sufficient, should there be a line in the 'read this first' thread suggesting that more community guidelines can be found in the FAQ?

12. fake and gay

fake and gay Member

YES

13. fake and gay

fake and gay Member

14. Beldaran

Seebs is working on how to word that sort of thing @Chiomi, because there are large cases where trigger tagging by means of spoilers isn't likely to be necessary at all, and therefore not expected and overly burdensome on the posters. ITA threads (mostly), vent threads (sometimes), etc.

Spoiler warning for self harm discussion in the communal Self Harm Megathread is not expected, for example.

Spoiler warning for discussion of rape in general isn't necessary in the Rape, Sexual Assault, and Harassment Megathread but graphic descriptions of it do need spoilered, as stated in the opening post. It's contextual.

• Informative x 1
  15. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Sorry if this post runs long, I have tried to break it up into smaller bits so it isn't just a text wall.

In fact I did not, so it's very plausible that the context of that thread would dramatically alter my interpretation. What I wrote was based on the information presented here in this thread alone. If I missed some important details, I'd be interested to know about them, but I don't know how well I'd necessarily discern them from reading the original thread bc my interpretation of things can be weird sometimes.

But all that aside, I really would like to ask you, if you are willing and able to explain it, why you don't want to put that post behind spoilers? I know a few folks here who really hate to use spoilers because they've had so much experience of being shamed and being pressured to hide their identities and feelings, so I was wondering if you were dealing with something like that in this situation. (in fact, the kink thread in Bottom Serket sort of split off into a second thread to accommodate the folks for whom using spoilers was triggery, but maybe that's not relevant to this conversation.)

I can also imagine that if you openly share the feeling of wanting to die and you are immediately asked to keep your voice down because you are upsetting other people, that would feel pretty awful.

Idk, obviously these are just conjectures on my part. I would like to know what you are going through here.

I will try to allocate some spoons to reading the original thread tonight, but I would very much like to hear your thoughts directly, if you have the spoons to share them.

Edit: whoa, a billion things posted while I was writing this, and I see that you expressed what was going on for you. Thank you, I'm going to read through all this ASAP.

16. Beldaran

No, not really. We don't have and won't be able to create a comprehensive list of Triggering Topics To Be Spoilered. It's still contextual, much like with the "triggering posts in the status box" discussion from a while back.

17. Beldaran

Pretty much, yeah.

A request to add a spoiler or let a spoiler be added isn't quite the same as death by explosion but other than that, spot on.

And it's more like "try not to step on them but if you do it's not a big deal" because hopefully no one dies in the process. Hopefully.

• Agree x 2
  18. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

This is why I intend to spend most of my service getting drunk and yelling at seebs.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
  19. Beldaran

It also triggers people's scrupulously and leads to people posting less due to anxiety. It's why we haven't had a big rule thing about it in the past and just hoped people would work with us on a case by case basis. Which we still intend to keep doing, just with a note about that in the guidelines it seems.

• Agree x 2
  20. michinyo

michinyo On that Dumb Bitch Juice diet

Okay @seebs I understand your two situation thing, and I can see where you're coming from about the lol no thing seeming to come off as someone seeing it as a mild inconvenience.
    I think you might be forgetting though that some people react differently even if stuff is a trigger. Like, I'd be that lol, no person and seem like a total shit cause it'd make me mad cause I wasn't allowed to bring up stuff before and how dare someone else try to quiet me. Do you get what I'm explaining?
    Basically, just reading their words isn't fully enough in my opinion.

Also in this situation I would have contacted f&g and asked if they were okay first instead of immediately asking them to edit their post. I feel that was a HUGE faux pas on the moderation's part.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice