there are no rules in kintsugi

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by fake and gay, Apr 19, 2017.

1. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

It only took like 22 hours of yelling at seebs to finally get here.

I need more toast.

• Witnessed x 6
    • Like x 3
  2. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I suggested moderator philosophy and the stuff that drives moderator action be its own section when the ideas for new foundation texts were still a much-argued-over google document. It has since been weeks, and I haven't had to resort to toast once. Step up your game, Rigs. :p

• Like x 5
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Spoiler: You can get results much better by trying to identify the communications gap and explain it rather than yelling.

All the discussion of casuistry and such was a distraction from the thing that was actually missing, which isn't "a system of rules for user posting" but "a discussion of what moderators are doing". If someone clever who understands these distinctions had, say, pointed that out 21 hours ago, this would have likely been a much shorter thread.

There's a weird contradiction in how I engage with questions. I nearly always focus only on the questions I'm being asked... But I tend to abstract them a bit. So if someone asks me about a specific situation, I'll likely respond with general patterns for that-or-related situations. But! I won't stop to think "but is this question even the right thing" for a while. So from my point of view, the summary of why mods do things is the opposite of an answer to the question I was being asked; it's an explanation for why that question can't be answered.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  4. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I have to use Google Docs when dealing with my debaters and I fucking hate it more than burnt toast. So I didn't look at it much.

• Like x 1
  5. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Natural human reasoning isn't usually a straight-line process. We meander and dance and sing and do all manner of other fun and interesting things on the way to doxastic consensus.

• Agree x 2
  6. seebs

In which case, why the snide remark about how long it took to get here?

• Agree x 1
  7. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

i'm doing poorly enough that i probably wouldn't have survived whatever the original post was had iseen it

• Witnessed x 7
  8. seebs

I saw a couple of your posts, you doing okay? And yes, I saw that there was a response that looked to me like mockery, and I'm not okay with that but I'm also not sure how to respond.

9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Because the end-point was not clear at the beginning of the process. Because the process itself can be fun for some of us. Because I like to explore unstated assumptions. Because I like to give authority a hard time. Because asymmetric conflict is my jam, homie. Because it gave me a chance to continue the toaster running gag.

• Like x 4
  10. seebs

... Okay, fair enough. FWIW, the thing where people present it as a Problem With Seebs that it takes a while to hash things out is a sore point.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Informative x 1
  11. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

FWIW, this isn't even my final form.

12. seebs

Yeah. I'd just appreciate it if you'd keep the snark less pointed at things I'm actually annoyed about, because I make worse decisions then.

• Agree x 1
  13. seebs

Please don't dominate the rap Jack
    if you got nothing new to say
    If you please don't back up the track
    This train got to run today

Spent a little time on the mountain
    Spent a little time on the hill
    Heard some say better run away
    Others say you better stand still

Now I don't know but I been told
    it's hard to run with the weight of gold
    Other hand I heard it said
    it's just as hard with the weight of lead

Who can deny? Who can deny?
    it's not just a change in style
    One step done and another begun
    in I wonder how many miles?

Things went down we don't understand
    but I think in time we will

Now I don't know but I been told
    in the heat of the sun a man died of cold
    Do we keep on coming or stand and wait
    with the sun so dark and the hour so late?

You can't overlook the lack Jack
    of any other highway to ride
    It's got no signs or dividing lines
    and very few rules to guide

I saw things getting out of hand
    I guess they always will

I don't know but I been told
    if the horse don't pull you got to carry the load
    I don't know whose back's that strong
    Maybe find out before too long

One way or another
    One way or another
    One way or another
    this darkness got to give
    One way or another
    One way or another
    One way or another
    this darkness got to give

14. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

what's a rap jack?

• Winner x 3
  15. seebs

... i can't tell whether you read my rant about this on tumblr or are just having the same parsing error. The canonical-form lyrics omit the commas before "Jack" in two places.

16. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

$20, same as in town

*shows self out*

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  17. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Since a lot of folks respond to moderator action by thinking they've Done A Bad, or folks are afraid to post much bc they might do a bad and hurt someone or get scolded, that seems like a really valuable addition to the welcome info.

• Agree x 4
  18. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

Sorry to cut in late, I was pretty nervous about saying a thing here, but since no one has brought it up I'll go ahead and say the thing:

You (moderators) emphasise that 'this is not a safe space' in your guidelines. I, a generally-allistic person who has now been immersed in your culture for a while, can now understand this to mean 'we can't keep everyone safe even though we try'. But! 'This Is Not A Safe Space' has a specific meaning, in the wider internet, and when I first came here I thought this is what you meant too - in other places, 'this is not a safe space' means 'I don't really care about your feelings, I'm going to say things anyway, cry more'.

I can absolutely see how someone would read those guidelines, see that line, and think, 'oh, okay, spoilering is optional'. Because spoilering and tagging text - or splatting it, in the before-times - has long been the domain of the triggered. That's exactly the opposite demographic of the sort of people who say 'this isn't a safe space', generally. 'This is not a safe space' is associated with people who say things without warning labels, because they're Not Obligated To Cater To Your Feelings. Which is a valid community loadout, but not what you're actually going for.

And, like, this is something I had trouble with even though I'm allistic. I can imagine it would be even harder for someone who's autistic, has already learned that Social Rule, and then comes here and the Social Rule means... basically the opposite of what they've learned! I think that being explicit about trigger warnings being expected in some places will help, but you might want to consider disclaiming your safe space language to get across your intent better.

(Sorry for bringing up a relatively unrelated point, it just... seems like the sort of thing that might be tripping people up.)

• Agree x 10
    • Informative x 3
    • Useful x 3
    • Like x 2
  19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

"We do not guarantee that this is a safe space. We do, however, ask that you to pick up bicycle horns and land mines when you can, and we may intervene to pick them up as we become aware of them" ?

• Like x 5
  20. seebs

Damn, that is a really good point, and I think you're right and I need to rework that part of the guidelines. I'm gonna need more time to think about it, but it's a really good insight. Thanks.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice