Things that are currently annoying you

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Emma, Mar 9, 2015.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Forgetting how to do *thing, especially when asked to explain it verbally, is one of those human quirks, and particularly prevalent if the activity relies on muscle memory. The guy who taught me to truss a roast consistently gave me instructions to loop the knots the wrong way, even though we were watching him demonstrate it in real time, for example.

• Agree x 3
  2. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

It is perpetually infuriating to me that the trilby (Which, also, is NOT called a fedora, fedoras are a group of hats not just the short brimmed ones with the pinched crowns, stop calling it a fedora that's like calling a fox a canine, its not WRONG but its imprecise and incriminates the whole group by association ) is permanently stained by association to neckbeards and misogynistic 'nice guys' online.

I love hats, okay. I used to look awesome in a nice pinstriped trilby. But now that whole group is shut off to me because I don't want to ever associate with that stereotype, and it makes me sad every time I see them in shops. I hate those people and I don't want anything to do with their idea of style, but I hate almost more that their presence has soured me on a perfectly nice hat.

Poor hats. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 3
  3. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

One of my eyelashes has betrayed me. Eyelashes are supposed to keep things out of eyes, not dive in themselves.

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 4
  4. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

My colony in Oxygen Not Included keeps teetering on the verge of fucking up, but I'm sure I can fix shit if I just get more duplicants in. And I spent all day playing, and my neck hurts, and now it's six in the morning and I meant to go to bed a lot sooner than this.

• Witnessed x 5
  5. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Low-fat diets are Hard* and everything tasty has so much fat in it. And I'm not even trying for super low-fat, just "don't exceed your rda" which limits me to 30 grams of fat a day, which means there's a lot of things I now can only have One of in a day or need to go "okay, I can't have enough of this to be worth it".

*in that I am bopping against the windowpane of "that has how much fat in it per serving? the fuck?!" and not so much "shit, I ate too much fatty stuff" because this is to try and deal with gallstones. It's a lot easier to avoid eating stuff that would put me way over when the potential consequence is "screaming agony that leaves me fetal on the bathroom floor, with a side of puking up the entire contents of my stomach".

• Witnessed x 6
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

People who don't get the references in the Troll Call's names and thus don't pronounce them correctly. What the fuck is Pol-LIE-pa, it's POL-ip-a, as in polyp, as in baby jellyfish, because she poisons seadwellers. DIE-men should be DEE-men because Van Diemen's Land because he's a thief. No that troll is not named Sharon, they would be Ka-run because it's from the Greek Charon. And I KNOW not everyone knows all this detail but it's very aggravating to me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

There's this one voice line in Skyrim that makes my eyelid twitch every time:

> I'm not afraid of you, you know, even if you are my elder.

They read the line wrong, with entirely the wrong intonation around the commas.

Whose idea it was to hire voice talent with such painfully american accents among all the norse ones, I don't know - but dear god, was the director out to lunch when they recorded that line?

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  8. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

sshd doesn't tell you if the authorized_keys file has bad ownership, it just silently ignores the existence of the file.

Thanks for that. Really helpful.

• Witnessed x 3
  9. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I can live with the store being rearranged, but why the FUCK am I scheduled for six hours when I can't access ANY OF MY DEPARTMENT

• Witnessed x 4
  10. Yesterday we had someone call in sick. Fair enough, she had to go to the hospital over the weekend and needs to rest.

But then someone else left halfway through her shift. I was the only technician in the pharmacy for over seven hours.

• Witnessed x 3
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I missed one week at the gym and my arms went totally out of all condition. I was basically patting the punching bag because if I'd actually been punching my arms would have fallen off >:(

• Witnessed x 1
  12. Every single technician except me has called out once this week already and it’s fucking Wednesday.

• Witnessed x 1
  13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

"introduction to rhetoric". Except the teacher thinks it's some kind of mind control technique that lets you rule over the world if you master it. Great power/great responsibility speech and all.
    Which is why you're a Catholic school philosophy teacher the local university occasionally brings to teach the students from the last-option major. Seriously, if you're actually trying to apply your own teachings there, I don't think it's really successful.

14. Don’t fucking tell me to smile. Don’t fucking tell me how to feel. Don’t tell me life isn’t so bad. You don’t know me, you don’t know my life. It’s my job to sell you your medicine, not laugh and smile at your jokes. Go fuck yourself.

• Witnessed x 2
  15. Loq

1: I'm spending more time leading customers around by the nose bc everything's moved to temp shelves than doing my actual work
    2: the one day I need to talk to head manager is the one day she's not here dawn to dusk micromanaging everything

• Witnessed x 1
  16. Loq

I forgot my original schedule and accidentally gave myself two extra hours of work when I moved my shift OTL

17. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

god sometimes I really hate the forced friendly atmosphere of my workplace

JUST GIVE ME MY WORK AND LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE TO DO MY JOB

• Witnessed x 7
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I do appreciate roads being repaired, but why must every street in my commute be under construction at once?

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 2
  19. Boy, I sure wish I could just make up alien space rocks and sell them on the internet for money. Just fucking create intellectual property that explicitly isn't canon and have people like it enough to make a profit on it. I can't even get people to like my writing and I've been working on that for years.

• Witnessed x 2
  20. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

taking too long to get my work done, i just got into bed at 250 am. I have to be up for work at 845 at the latest. S c r e m

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice