Things that are currently annoying you

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Emma, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Oh man. Don't get me started on shitty approaches to parenting. I hang on various parenting places, and the number of 'how should I punish...'threads that pop up is just mindboggling.

Give your kids zero respect, treat basics such as privacy and recreation as 'privileges' to be earned by modeling compliance, and punish the crap out of them when they don't behave the way you want.

And when this only ends up making things worse? We must punish them harder, obviously.

Do these people attempt to steer their cars with the handbrake, too?

And they have the fucking gall to call it discipline'.

hulk smash.

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

In other news my brain is now autonomously playing randomly-generated big-broadway-musical-duet snippets in my head, and I don't even like musicals.

If this is a new migraine precursor it's invented, I'm going to be so pissed.

• Witnessed x 5
  3. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Importance: High

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I offered to hold a review session for my students and somehow it became "Saro's having office hours for everyone on Monday before the exam" and I think I'm the only TA doing it??? so I may have a Large number of students descend upon me in pre-exam panic

• Witnessed x 8
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My forearm muscles are growing in unevenly. My right arm's getting a nice firmness along the whole muscle but the left arm just has a weird knob near the elbow.

• Witnessed x 2
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Also I've somehow gained a kilo since I started exercising. Apparently that's normal as it takes the body some time to adjust, but it's still frustrating.

7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

• Agree x 4
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

@cthonicfatigue I know, and I looked it up and apparently exercise also causes the gain of water weight in the process of repairing microtears. Frustrating that that's the biggest difference so far... No, that's not true, I am noticeably fitter and stronger (can hold a conversation while using the elliptical now!), but the lack of body changes is disappointing even though I rationally knew I wasn't going to drop half my body weight in six weeks.

• Winner x 2
  9. Jove

Jove [ destination defenestration ]

> go to Joann's to get yarn
    > "Hey, I really like this purple color, do you have mor of it?"
    > "Ma'am, that isn't purple. It's dark blue. Are you all right?"
    > "Yup. Just color blind."

Conversation in and of itself wasn't annoying, but it's seriously frustrating for me, especially since I'm in illustration and various fiber arts. "Picture a bright blue ocean! Like cyan! That would go great with this teal!" I literally cannot do that. Siiiiiiigh

• Witnessed x 11
  10. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I have never had this much trouble getting my body off of the night shift schedule before and it's seriously frustrating

• Witnessed x 5
  11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to design a website with the owner's contact info in a bar on the bottom and an infinite-scrolling "related article" feed loading just above it?

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 3
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

sysiphus

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 3
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

God dammit

I almost never write long comments on ao3 because I’m too shy or don’t feel eloquent enough, but I just finished this amazing fic and managed to actually express my feelings about it in text... and then accidentally hit the back button before submitting the comment. Fuck me running.

• Witnessed x 8
  14. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

One of my housemates has ringworm. And just realized it. And has been in contact with the cats, who have been in contact with me and my bedding, and I've probably used the same towels she did anyways. So now we're going to all have to go in for a clinic visit, to check if it is ringworm (and check if she's the only one who has it, and get treated), and take both cats in to the vet to get them checked (which is going to involve shaving them, which they're going to be Thrilled about /s), and if it is confirmed as ringworm or another fungal thing? We're going to need to wash all the bedding and linens, and anything else that could've gotten contaminated, with diluted chlorine bleach or strong detergents.

Which is going to be extra fun because this housemate has chemical sensitivities, and we need to use special detergent so she doesn't react to - say - the towels. Or the bedding. So we're going to need to do Even More laundry than normal!

• Witnessed x 10
  15. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Also, the scroll wheel on my mouse is either dying or needs to be cleaned. I don't know which. :/

• Witnessed x 3
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The smell of dust burning off from turning on the heater when it's been off for 6 months.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 2
  17. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

No video output on one of the lab computers.

* Reboot computer.
    * Plug video cable into second output.
    * Reboot computer again in case it didn't detect the changed output
    * Get a new displayport cable
    * Try new cable in other output
    * Reboot computer in case the cable was bad *and* it doesn't detect changed output.
    * Get keys, tools, spend a good 10 minutes under the desk uncabling PC and getting padlock free from impossible space.
    * Take computer upstairs to test bench.
    * Fuck me running, it works perfectly up here. Stupid thing.
    * Take back down, spend 10 minutes reinstalling.
    * No dice, what the fuck.
    * Must be the monitor is fucked, although the screen is perfectly able to show 'cable unplugged' and 'no signal' messages.
    * Fiddle with cable management for 10 minutes plugging computer into adjacent monitor: works fine.
    * Fiddle around getting adjacent monitor into this computer, which is surprisingly more difficult: no dice.
    * Well fuck, the monitor really is fucked. I've never seen one fail but still detect cable and have the screen itself obviously fine...
    * Oh come on, surely not. This hasn't been a thing since the 00s...
    * Pull power cable from monitor, wait for caps to drain and power-led to fade.
    * Re-power monitor. Works fine.
    * ARGH.

• Witnessed x 9
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

my hands smell like nitrile gloves

oh and i can't figure out DESeq2 and am too tired and hungry to try to troubleshoot

• Witnessed x 6
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Numerous ladybugs are getting into my kitchen and I can't tell how because the window's not open.

• Witnessed x 4
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Weasel faces are impossible to draw from a head-on view.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice