Things that are currently annoying you

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Emma, Mar 9, 2015.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

People are fatphobic ableists, and also wrong, on the internet.

• Witnessed x 11
  2. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Thought this would be as good a place as any to share this. From a friend on another forum:

Anyone with children over the age of five should sit down and have a serious conversation with them about vaping.

On Friday, my son Dylan took a hit off a vape pen, in his high school bathroom, before his 1st class of the day. What he wasn't told, until after he took the hit, was that the pen contained PCP. My idiot son, thinking he was going to show this kid how cool he was, took a giant hit off this vape pen and almost passed out immediately. He went back to class, and within 10 minutes this drug (I guess it's called Angle Dust?) hit him. This was a drug he did not intend to take, nor was he aware of what its effects were before he took the hit.

Now, my wife and I will punish him accordingly for intending to use marijuana before class (at all is not allowed in our house to begin with, but during school, BEFORE CLASS ???). So that is a separate issue that we will handle with our son. But we are also going to speak with the police about our son being essentially 'drugged' without his knowledge or consent.

My wife and I just spent the last 4 days in and out of the ER at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma. We were finally able to get our son a bed at the Adolescent Behavioral Health Unit, which is a 27 bed psych hospital. He is showing signs of the psychosis fading, and his thoughts and speech are returning to normal, but his brain is still broken. He will hopefully make a full recovery, but that is a long road ahead. His brain may be permanently altered. From one bad decision. One hit off a vape pen, from some acquaintance at his school.

Was it a stupid decision to hit that pen in the first place? Yes, absolutely. It is stupid if the substance is nicotine or marijuana. It is dumb, no matter what.

But it could be more than what you think you are using. It could be tainted. It could be poison that will destroy your brain.

I would appreciate your prayers for my son Dylan. I would also ask you to pray for God to give me the strength to forgive the kid that gave this to my boy without warning him. All I can think about are fantasies of exacting vengeance and retribution, and it isn't healthy.

So warn your own children, and the kids in your life, about the dangers of vaping in general. But please also warn them especially about the danger of being poisoned by strangers, or dosed intentionally by friends.

• Witnessed x 3
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

that looks like mommypasta. you know, the copypasta that suburban moms get from facebook and cc to everyone on their contact list? how well do you know this guy?

there are so many problems here, starting with: where the fuck would a high school kid get pcp in this day and age? how did he get it in the vape pen, and why did it WORK in the vape pen, since vaping is not smoking, and pcp is not a liquid? or rather, it can be dissolved in ether, but that's distinctively smelly and evaporates really fast. and this parent (who isnt quite sure pcp is also called angel dust, even though it's been on every cop show since 1975 under that name, but still thinks that's important to mention) believes his kid was going to get marijuana from this vape pen? which, let me remind you, is not smoking! it uses liquid. water-based liquid.

ok so. assuming that this bathroom menace got hold of pcp dissolved in ether, put a drop in the vape pen just before offering it to the kid so it wouldn't have evaporated yet, and somehow didn't ALSO end up hospitalized from the fumes -- and the writer's kid went "hey this smells like sweetened gasoline and just standing near it makes me feel like i've been huffing spray paint, but sure, i'll take a gigantic rip off it" -- why is this about the dangers of vaping?????

it should be about how some absolute nutjob poisoned his kid! why are they going to speak to the police, rather than having told the cops that came with the 911 call the name of the jackass with the pcp ether vial in his pocket??? why is 'drugged' in irony quotes?

i'm sorry, this whole story is ultra sketch.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    • Agree x 5
    • Informative x 3
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Could've been a mixup with saying vape instead of dab pen, which is similar enough and is often used with Cannabis wax and there are some kinds that can help reduce smell. The pcp bit is still sketch to me though. Not impossible, just improbable

Edit: oh! And because it's an extreme concentrate, hash can cause health issues as well.

• Agree x 1
  5. Kodachi

I know him pretty well. He's an experienced and well established CNC programmer and machinist, and has given lots of very good technical advice to the community over the last two decades. People that I have worked with in person have worked with him in person. He has never trolled or even gotten involved in political discussions; he's always 100% professional. He didn't copy it from elsewhere, he's talking about his own kid. In follow ups today he's said the kid's improving and is expected to turn out ok. The cops have video from the school surveillance cameras so they know who it was, and are "handling it appropriately". If it were my kid I also would be first and foremost concerned with keeping my kid alive and promoting his recovery, and pursuing the offender later.

I don't know much about PCP or vaping, since I've never messed with either. I'd say it's not unlikely that it wasn't PCP, but rather some other drug, but I haven't talked with the kids doctor.
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3qbyj/why-some-meth-and-dmt-users-are-using-vapes

There have been a lot of people selling THC vape cartridges, which is I'm sure what he meant by MJ. There are also a lot of shady refilled or made in China cartridges, the contents of which are a mystery.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. jacktrash

ok, sorry to be a dick about it then. i guess it's just the way he wrote it that made it sound suspicious. like it sounded as if he hadn't talked to the cops yet, for instance.

anyway, i hope his kid makes a full recovery and they get the jackass who did it.

• Agree x 2
  7. jacktrash

an LSD overdose can have symptoms like that, and that's a water based liquid, and quite easy to get.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Yeah, PCP seems unlikely—there are absolutely issues with street drugs getting cut with PCP, that happened with a family friend (which is a whole long and extremely depressing story in and of itself), but marijuana (regardless of its form) seems an unlikely one. And the symptoms described sound a lot more like the kid got a fuckton of LSD, because PCP has very specific behaviors associated with it—namely violence, which...I’m pretty sure that would’ve come up.

...I will also say that yeah, I don’t get why he made it about the dangers of vaping, given that drugs being cut with harmful substances is far from a vape-exclusive thing and it wouldn’t have mattered how he consumed whatever it was.

9. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

My guess would be that a lot of folks see vaping as a safer alternative to smoking/other drugs, so the point was to highlight that it isn't? You're right it's not a vape exclusive thing, but I'd guess maybe that's not something many might expect from this ... format?

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'd assume part of the "dangers of vaping" screed is one dash of "even kids who you wouldn't normally see buying drugs have bought into the juul thing", one dash "teens vaping is a Hot Button topic at the moment", and one dash of "we already know contaminated THC vape cartridges have been killing people so mom & dad should probably seriously stress the one hit and you'll die thing isn't just the usual drug hysteria, it's a serious consideration along with don't take drinks from strangers at a party".

And yeah, can confirm, the fact that vaping is healthier than smoking tobacco has mutated into 'there are no harmful effects from vaping (even addiction, it's definitely not a nicotine addiction if it comes out of a vape pen' from certain sources. Not unlike the 'well, weed doesn't have any tar in it like cigarettes, so there are NO POSSIBLE ILL EFFECTS from inhaling smoke, how dare you suggest otherwise when an asthmatic asks you to Please Not' thing that runs around sometimes too.\

Which is also, as I understand it, part of why juuling picked up as much steam as it did before the contaminated cartridge deaths. :/ But I have a whole 'nother bugbear about how the tabacco industry has been handling that and set it off in the first place.

• Agree x 4
  11. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Too tired to go to bed. Executive function completely shot to hell -_-

• Witnessed x 6
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

if you haven’t tried it already I’ve found melatonin supplements to be a p good antidote to this! apparently if you have adhd you’re supposed to take them around sunset instead of 30 minutes before bedtime. they just take that point where you’re literally too tired to keep your eyes open, and shove it forwards about 4 hours.

13. Kodachi

I don't sleep unless I take melatonin and a unisom.

14. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Can't connect to the internet with anything but my laptop.

• Witnessed x 2
  15. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

Stuck in traffic on the m25. (Not driving, I'm a passenger this time around.)

• Witnessed x 3
  16. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

My sister and her boyfriend are sickeningly sweet together and I am single ><

• Witnessed x 3
  17. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

It's 11C outside, 19C inside the house, and the furnace wasn't kicking in because dad had the thermostat on eco mode. And suggested that mom and I just put on more sweaters, if we were so cold.

I went 'fuck it, i'm freezing' and turned eco mode off. Because no, there is an upper limit to how many sweaters is reasonable to wear at once.

• Witnessed x 6
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

note to self: oven timers work a lot better if you actually get up and check the oven when they go off :/

• Witnessed x 2
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Read through posts by a guy whose blog I left a while ago purely because I was so desperate to hear from someone else who wants to complain about a certain fandom thing everyone else loves and I hate, and was forcibly reminded why I left in the first place, because I can't stand his opinions on other fandom matters.

• Witnessed x 5
  20. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

Went to bed too soon after eating last night and now my stomach won't stop going brlbrlbrlblrblrblrblrblrblrlblrblrlb :/

• Witnessed x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice