Things that are currently annoying you

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Emma, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The dance moves for Baby Shark don't take into account that female sharks are actually bigger than males.

• Informative x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Wanted to start going back to dance class after hospital appointment today but had to refrain from eating anything since last night and supermarket was out of EVERYTHING ready-to-eat, seriously. Didn't want to wander around looking for food so went home.

• Witnessed x 2
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I am not familiar enough with the many different Chinese dialects out there to know whether "Cho" is a legitimate Chinese first name and it might indeed not be, but you (general-you) are aware that whether it's a surname in Korean has no bearing on that, right? Fun fact, the same syllable can recur in more than one language. There are other possible objections and I don't feel this particular one is either valid or necessary.

4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

A mosquito came into my house, from where I really don't know, seeing how it's February. Anyway, it bit me and I now have three bites on my left ankle that always start to itch just as I want to go to bed.

• Witnessed x 6
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If "annoying" can also cover "disgusting" and "disturbing", the infamous Poopsie Slime Surprise ad came up in a convo and it occurred to me that I don't know whether the characters are supposed to be toddlers in booty-short-styled nappies dancing to a distinctly suggestive song, or teenagers singing about their own poop, and I'm not sure which option is more uncomfortable.

6. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I'm ill and I hate it. I turn into a big baby when I'm ill and because I'm a stupid grown up I have to take care of myself :(

• Witnessed x 4
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Three buses in a row failed to show up and some old lady I don't know wouldn't shut up about how late it was when I was already angry about that. Had to go home and scream for a bit and missed my booked gym session. At least I could reschedule for tomorrow.

• Witnessed x 1
  8. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Damn fire alarm in the apartment is too sensitive, I'm just making some toast!

• Witnessed x 3
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I used to have one which was set off whenever I tried to take a shower. Apparently they can't distinguish smoke from steam. I share your pain.

• Witnessed x 2
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I know this is a thing I do too but why don't people just say what they mean and why do they have to be condescending fucks when I tell them it's unclear?

• Agree x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

One of those weeks where everything turns into a fight, and I tried new food that turned out to be gross :(

• Witnessed x 2
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Hiveswap hyperfixation is back on and I just KNOW there's gonna be no sign of it on 4/13 and possibly ever.

13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I have to be able to ignore a certain level of fatphobic villain descriptions or I'd never get to read anything, but I do wish writers wouldn't put it in the very first sentence of a book. Gross.

• Witnessed x 5
  14. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Urgh, it's always blatantly obvious in media when the speaker is trying to do a Yorkshire accent without having actually studied it or even heard a real broad Yorkshire speech before in their life.

One of the most distinctive things about this dialect is how 'the' becomes a abbreviated 't' sound, right? Them that tries it without study sticks the t sound at the START of all the wrong nouns - t'wall, t'corner, t'lane.

Except you DONT DO THAT. It can be forgiven at the start of vowel-words - other becomes tother etc - but mostly it's pronounced a suffix, not a prefix. The most notable example is 'of the' or 'down (to) the' - non-yorkshire types may pronounce it as ex 'down t'pub' when actually a local would say 'downt pub' - the 't' adds to a single syllable instead of staying as an independent sound.

Similarly, 'out to' becomes 'owt'* with a dull plosive on the final letter, 'of the' becomes 'oft' and so on.

Sorry, I just had to rant for a sec, drives me mad. Thank you for coming to my TED talk XD

(*Slight edit just to note that this sound is also how you say 'anything' around here, from the archaic 'aught'. Anything > aught > owt, and in the same way nothing > naught > nowt. 'Not worth anything' = 'en't worth owt' just as 'Nothing's wrong' becomes 'Nowt's up'. It's not really relevant, I know, but my dumb squirrel brain wouldn't let it go)

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    • Informative x 6
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

OW OW OW ECZEMA ON MY EYELIDS OW and I can't get in contact with my doctor and the pharmacist can't give me anything rated for eyelids without a prescription.

• Witnessed x 5
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Tried to buy a filleted fish, was given an unfilleted one and the runaround about whether it was possible to get it filleted post-purchase, gave up and had to clumsily hack bones out myself and got covered in mushed fish goo but still didn't manage to get all the ribs, and also knocked my toothbrush into the toilet when trying to let a wasp out the window.

• Witnessed x 6
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm firmly of the opinion that everyone should read Discworld, but it being people's go-to as a Harry Potter substitute annoys me. Discworld is snarky rather than whimsical, it's not YA, it's not about a magical hero coming of age - it seems like literally the only criterion people are using is "duh, it has wizards in, right?" (If anyone wants an actual HP-like book, I just got into Amari and the Night Brothers.)

• Like x 1
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I ordered a pair of absorbent bath mats and got sent a pair of fluffy non-machine-washable shag rugs instead.

• Witnessed x 5
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

People acting like every not-perfectly-PC thing in media by creators they don't like is some kind of murder conspiracy dogwhistle with no care for whether creators of the same demographic and time period did any better.

• Witnessed x 2
  20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The fact that the United States government has decided that I just don't get to have the medication that makes me feel like a person. I just had a prescription denied again. I've been out for three weeks. I can't get out of bed and all I've eaten today is tea and egg rolls.

• Witnessed x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice