Things Which Smell: indie soaps/perfumes/etc

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by ChelG, Jan 14, 2017.

1. shmeed

shmeed plant me

ahhh i got some Contact Caffiene scent sticks in the mail today! Mayan Musk and Earth Dragon. lovely packaging. a bit more perfume-y than i'd hoped but still very good. i like them both.
    Earth Dragon is a sharp, clean smell. juniper and pine really come through.
    Mayan Musk is spicy, earthy and sweet. vanilla might be the strongest note, then the musky stuff like leather and dirt. Unfortunately I don't really care for vanilla so this one's not such a hit for me ;-;
    they go on easy, strong scent, one application lasts a few hours

• Like x 1
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

okay this is gonna be a question for ya'll but does anyone know of a wisteria thing that actually smells like wisteria

3. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

The mail dude just brought my BPAL order, awright let's crack these imps open and dab some test paper
    • The Red Rider (free surprise): MMM LEATHERY. Smells exactly like I imagined The Black Rider would smell. once again, the one I didn't actually order may turn out to be my favorite. Added immediately to the "get a full size" list.
    • The Black Rider: Kinda powdery with some vanilla. I... think I'll pass on the full size.
    • Juke Joint: ????? I mean, it smells good, I just... can't place what it smells like? Is it spicy? Is it smoky? Is it sweet? What the fuck IS it!? Tentatively added to the "get a full size" list pending wear trial anyway.
    • Dragon's Milk: Pounded In The Nostrils by Sweet Vanilla with Floral and Resiny-Musky Undernotes That Come Through On the Second or Third Sniff and I Definitely Want A Full Size Bottle Because Even If It Doesn't Wear Well It Will Work Great in the Diffuser, A Novel by Hugo-Nominated Author Chuck Tingle
    • Golden Priapus: Tangy, spicy, and sweet, somehow without being overly floral or powdery. Definite maybe for the full size list, have to try it on first.
    Upd8: I put some Red Rider on about an hour ago. I want everything to smell like this forever. It's still leathery but with a little more earthiness and spice to it. It... okay this is going to sound weird but it smells like a funeral home except in a good way? I DON'T KNOW EITHER OKAY

And NATURALLY THEY'RE OUT OF STOCK. *slams waiting list button with both hands*

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Like x 3
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

You might have luck getting them sooner in the BPAL sales communities on FB! Also Red Rider is fucking awesome.

• Like x 1
  5. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Sweet, I'll check those out if the imp runs out before it comes back in stock. I put the Red Rider away for wearing-only purposes, I might try it in the diffuser once but that imp's gotta last. That's the second time they've sent me a glorious imp that's turned out to be out of stock. why do you torture me, BPAL. :(

Speaking of the diffuser I just put a few drops of Dragon's Milk in it and holy shit son. It mellows out a lot and doesn't beat you about the head and face with VANILLA!!!!!1! in that form and you get more of the dragon's blood. Think I'll try it on tomorrow.

6. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I once got an imp of Titania, which is almost exactly like my ideal of perfume. It's been out of stock for a while and they have no idea if it'll ever be back in stock again because apparently they are having trouble sourcing one of the major components.

):

• Like x 1
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

OK, Black Rider. I gave you a chance but no, you are way too powdery. Tried it on, it's not quite as offensively powdery but still too perfumey for my taste. Put a couple of drops in the diffuser, five minutes later dumped and rinsed the diffuser. :(

It reminds me of ...something? Something that might have been in my grandma's house, or a used bookstore or antique store or something, it definitely pings the "smells like memories" center in my brain, but exactly what it reminds me of I can't tell. Whatever it is, it's not a strong enough olfactory memory to outweigh the powderpocalypse. Mom might like it, though.

8. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Me: *puts on Juke Joint* OK brain, can you figure out what this smells like now?

Brain: ...aftershave. old spice. except not so spicy. yes. aftershave. good smell.

Me: ok! good! Does it remind us of anyone in particular?

Brain: yes

Me: Who?

Brain: yes

...okay then, it's on the full size list.

9. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

all i can think of are puns :(
    like "Good Scents" "Cunning Scents" "Perfect Scents" (insert sense pun here)

geeky names hmm...
    Periodical Perfumes?
    Test tube something?

sorry ^_^;

10. Marimo

Marimo Member

Ok I'm going to keep this in the back of my mind to see if I can think of anything serious but right now I'm laughing too hard at my brain which decided to land on Odiferous Aromatics

• Like x 1
  11. Marimo

Marimo Member

Right I'm back with slightly more serious (but still terrible and not useful + you probably want something snappier idk anything about branding) suggestions:

Perhaps use the name of a scientist/galaxy(I like andromeda but that's probably cliche)/scientific name of a plant and then lab/perfumery/aromatics/botanicals(if your focus is on natural stuff I guess)

If you're wanting something more out there/mad scientist vibe: mellifluous/calamitous/pulchritudinous (stretching how that word is used but w/e) concoctions

And, because I'm really good at awful names - Miasma lab (idk the words sound pretty together so I guess if no one knows the negative connotations of miasma you're good)

12. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

@ChelG Can I just say I am super interested in whatever products you come up with? Folklore- and fandom-inspired scents are one of my many jams, and BPAL-esque descriptions explaining each fragrance's link to its inspiration are just so much fun to read. Regarding the name, I quite like it, but the reference may be a little too obscure? It is definitely quirky though, and the nerdy bonus could be a plus. Also Pyewacket's a cute word.

Also, to add to the thread in general, I've been wanting to try BPAL for years, but the postage costs are astounding even for imps and I need to know the scents I'm interested in are worth it, first.

Also-also, I'm spilling into the quirky hipstery mainstream here, but I'm a huge fan of Lush's perfumes. Even though they did discontinue 1000 Kisses and Cocktail, which were my favourites. Any other Lush fans here?

• Like x 1
  13. Marimo

Marimo Member

I had to look up Pyewacket because I'd not heard of it before but depending what you go with as your logo it might end up a little more self explanatory. Even if it doesn't it probably doesn't matter too much if everyone gets the reference. Otherwise it's a nice sounding name.

I like Lush, especially the solid perfumes. I use Death and Decay or Kerbside Violet most of the time.

14. Pumpkageist

I have a solid perfume of Death and Decay, and while it is very nice, and I love the name and design, it's not one of my favourites, also it smells a little soapy to me in solid form, but that's most likely a me problem. I've yet to try Kerbside Violet. Out of their newer stuff, I really like All Good Things and Sikkim Girls, and I also tried The Bug because the concept behind it intrigued me, and it was a perfectly good fragrance, it just didn't really suit me, and also seemed to fade really fast, kind of the opposite of All Good Things which clings to my clothes for days (and I'm one of the weirdos who likes that in a fragrance). Karma's a classic fave of mine, but only for warmer months. It's too... Sunny... for Autumn/Winter, IMO.

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Really? Karma comes out really warming peppery-orange on me, I like it better in winter than summer.

16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Man, I love this thread, it makes me wish I knew what would smell good on me so I could get something nice-smelling to wear sometimes. I have no idea whatsoever how to determine that, though.

17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  18. Pumpkageist

It's more of a creamy citrus thing on me, slightly acidic until it settles. The spicy tones are more invigorating than warming, to me, though I can see the lure of a bright fragrance like Karma in Winter. I just associate it with Summer. Winter is when I generally start breaking out the really heavy heady florals-and-spice stuff, so I think it's just a matter of my seasonal 'traditions'.

19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ooh, thanks! I'm probably going to pick up a sample set or two when I get my tax return back.

20. Marimo

Marimo Member

side note: I love how people describe fragrances. I'm literally like it smells good/bad/flowery/reminiscent of something very specific I can't place/so strong that I can't breathe, where everyone else seems to smell entire poems in a drop of perfume.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice