TIME TO GET RRRIIIIIIIPPED!!!!! - the exercise thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by wixbloom, Jun 4, 2015.

1. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

@jacktrash I'm sure this is in an earlier thread and I did go hunting for it but would you mind if I asked what the PT is for? Or for a link to the thread I'm sure I utterly failed to find?

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

idk if i ever explained it on here. i've talked about it on my tumblr a lot. basically it started with arthritis in my spine and propagated from there. i erased and retyped that sentence like 9 times so apparently i'm too nonverbal to explain more. *rolls self in the rug and pretends to be a burrito*

3. TrillianAri

Oh dear, I'm so sorry, that sounds horrid! Quick, burrito like the wind and doesn't afear anything. *Wafts comfort thataway*

• Like x 2
  4. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I was given a Wii with fit plus on it a couple of days ago, which is rad because now I don't need to buy one. Did my first 15 minutes on it just now. Still have some of the progress from pole, thankfully. Want to focus primarily on my legs and arms atm, and then core so I can get back into sit ups. Taking it slow.
    Weight loss is just a side effect of being able to walk without shaky legs and relieving pain from shitty posture.

• Like x 1
  5. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

No change according to Ye Olde Scale but, since I've started the bike-and-swim:
    -Calf muscle development
    -Regained lung capacity
    -"Tummy Control" panel of work-yoga pants (I swear the "uniform" is the best perk of this job) is now loose and baggy BUT I can't get a smaller size because...
    -Thigh muscle development (YAY!!)

Also I'm tan again for the first time in years. Oh melanin, how I've missed you.

Next step: Ankle weights and a step tracker

• Like x 1
  6. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I was going to go for a trail run today, but it is 95 degrees, sunny, and humid and I think I might faint. To the gym instead!

• Like x 2
  7. TrillianAri

Fainting is def. not conducive to health as pretty as that trail run might have been. I will be spending my time aggressively not moving out of the way of dudes who pretend they don't see a 5'4 female walking in a straight line on the gym weight floor and chortling as they nearly overbalance to avoid collision. (But of course sharing gym apparatuses, because I'm not an asshole.)

• Like x 2
  8. TrillianAri

Also, also, I have an MFP (my fitness pal) if any of y'all are doing that.

• Like x 1
  9. Aviari

I am intrigued by this MFP, what is? Also, kudos for your gym attitude.

10. TrillianAri

Oooh, is very helpful tool - it logs all of my intake and stratifies it into macronutrient intake (how much is fat/carb/protein - how many grams of sugar I consumed etc) and then has a separate side that logs fitness. It then pops out expected loss/gains after you plug in your day and allows people to see how you're doing based on, of course, privacy settings so people can cheer you on on a tiny little social media-type feed.

Mine also syncs with my smart scale and phone, which is uber nifty.

11. TrillianAri

Guess who just beasted a 90 min workout? 40 min of strength training (preacher bench, sumo deadlift, bench press, military press, lat pull) and 50 of HIIT (stairmaster and treadmill).

*Self five*

Yeah..I don't have much to do with my time.

• Like x 5
  12. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Thankfully, there's a gym at my current apartment complex, so I have a place to start an exercise regimen. So far, since I just started exercising about once to three times a week, I can really only walk for a half hour to an hour before my knee starts to go stiff/brittle and I feel like it's going to pop out, but I know a lot of that is because of my current weight issues so that will only alleviate with exercise and a better diet. I do need to look into more arm exercises, though. There's a weight machine, but I have no idea how to use it and we have no proper instructor so that seems like a dangerous thing to try. There are small hand-weights though, so I just need to look up an exercise for those!

I've been considering on trying out the Zombie Run app once I improve my speed on running, but I'm not sure if I'll find it as enjoyable. While I do like horror, I don't want to give myself an accidental panic attack because suddenly my tablet is screaming horrifying zombie noises and chewing at me, so I want to find an alternative. I do think there's a DnD-style fantasy app, but I need to check if it's available for Android or only the iOS. Does anyone have any luck with these kind of apps, when it comes to running and earning 'benefits' towards your next running-adventure?

13. TrillianAri

I haven't heard of any but if you end up finding some definitely post! I'd love something to keep me a little more motivated. The only productivity app I know of that's RPG themed is HabitRPG - and while amazing, it's not specifically for fitness.

14. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

It might have been HabitRPG that I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure. All I know is that apparently you need something to monitor your heart rate and is compatible with the device, since it measures your EXP/Treasure from how you maintained heartrate as you exercised? I think it's specifically meant for the apple Watch, but can also work with iOS programs + a blue tooth heart monitor.

I do hear good things about Zombie Run though, and will be checking out the Android store closer to my birthday, since most of them are paid or subscription apps (since new missions upload monthly or so).

15. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Zombie Run has a lot of nice content and there is actually very little zombie noises, at least in the first third of the program. The introduction has a bit, but the missions not so much, there is actually a lot of interaction between the npcs as it were.

I get the itch to go do stuff, but the larping I did means my foot is still messed a bit, so I'd rather not strain with exercise atm.

16. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@TrillianAri there's also fitocracy, which awards you points for exercising and keeps track of your personal bests, as well as including challenges/miniquests. it's got a pretty good database of exercises, too.

17. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I have Fitocracy but don't find it particularly motivating. I track both types of fitness work with Way Of Life, which is a habit-forming app. Seeing the little boxes fill up with green every day is so satisfying. And it has graphs! So many graphs. You know, if graphs are your thing. It also reminds me every night to complete it, which is useful, because my brain doesn't work properly for that.

• Like x 1
  18. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm allergic to expectations, so if i have a list or a box to fill or a goal to meet or whatever it has the opposite of the intended effect. like i just think "ugh another thing i can fail" and if i succeed i don't feel accomplishment, i just feel like i had a narrow escape from humiliation. SO what i do instead is play tappy games on my tablet, and kind of time the exercises by the game. i'm not trying to do the most number of reps -- and in fact i'm not keeping a total at all -- but rather, trying to find the best timing to fit with the rhythm of the game.

puzzle and dragons is good for short exercises like those lift-your-butt curl things, you can do one with each attack while the next set of orbs is filling in. one piece treasure cruise requires dexterity, which is incentive to hold your both-legs-at-once-lift thingie an extra second or two. then you rest while the enemy takes their turn. final fantasy record keeper has an auto fight function, so you've got like thirty seconds where you don't have to tap anything; that's a good time for free weights.

in general, i have no clue how many reps of what i ever do. i don't know if i do more from day to day, except in the sense of how many dungeons i ran in which game. i just do 'em til i'm tired. maybe that's not very fitness-minded or motivated of me, idk, but i know i've managed to do my physical therapy at least 3 days a week ever since i started doing it like that. so i figure that's a win. :D

• Like x 3
  19. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

i went to the gym today and actually managed to get my hands on a loadable bar. (there's bigger plates for deadlifting to keep things at a uniform height). i stuck 20 on either side, which is well within my usual range, and it. was. heavy. i managed one before my grip wanted to give out. so i took the plates off to go down to a lower weight, and that's when i looked at them more closely...

turns out the weight was in kilos, rather than lbs, and i'd been trying to lift 130lbs instead of the expected 85. no wonder.

• Like x 3
  20. Aviari

Picked up a dumbbell to walk around with when I'm doing my "pace the house with dogs and laser pointer to boost pedometer high score while making Fat Dog run off some extra weight"

Been fine for a few days but apparently I zoned out with Tumblr mobile in my other hand for a while and now aaaagh.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice