Tiny things: dollhouses and miniatures and such

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Lerxst, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Oh, that one is even better. It's just in a shadowbox frame that comes mostly already put together (you have to put the "glass" in the frame part and attach the frame to the box part with a couple of hinges, but the actual putting together of the box part has been done for you). And then once it's done you just hang it on the wall! Though I did have to add a couple of tiny eyebolts and some twine to hold it closed.

• Informative x 1
  2. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I was worried about the bit you were working with before you put it all in the box. What you put the wallpaper on. Once you were putting stuff in it seemed damn sturdy! But the little triptych (that's SUCH a fun word) bit that went inside, for some reason even once you were working on the floor my brain wasn't parsing it was in the frame by then so there was extra "oh no what if tearing"

3. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Yeah, the worst case scenario in my head at that point was "what if wrinkle in paper and tear it trying to smooth it out and it is glued and stuck like this forever" which... given the theme of this particular project, certainly would have not actually been catastrophic and would in fact have been something that could have been turned into a cool effect! Generally I'd rather paper the walls before gluing them together but on this kit you kinda don't have a choice :}

4. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

candy.PNG

So the Japanese grocery store kit comes with beads and toothpicks to make the heart lollipops here... and also some weird bright red dango-looking things.

I am pretty sure this is a combination of the Chinese manufacturer going "hmm what can we tweak so we won't get yelled at for ripping the Billy kits off" and "hmm we have ten metric craptons of little red wooden beads, what can we have the end user make out of those" with possibly a side of "how do Japanese junk food? three ball thingies on a stick is a thing? cool, roll w/it"

Anyway, I repainted them more appropriate dango colors and gave them their own tray. Which leaves a big empty space here in the candy box. So I made little quick and dirty Pocky and Botan rice candy boxes--find box image, add sides, print, cut out, glue to bit of scrap foamboard, wrap in clear packing tape.

• Like x 2
  5. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Capture3.PNG

That's it for the building, all that's left is the base, the light pole, and hooking up the lights.

Good news--I may or may not have mentioned that this kit was supposed to come with a plexiglass cover, but didn't. Just for shits and giggles I shot off a message to Cuteroom a couple days ago to the effect of "um I ordered version with cover and got no cover?" to which they replied "oh no! we'll send you one right away, sorry about that!" and a cover is on its way so hey, A+ customer service.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Its not even close to on the same scale or skill level as these doll houses, but my boyfriend has been making dnd dungeon pieces for a campaign he wants to run, and ive been helping where i can. You'll probqbly be hearing a lot from us about that. Today, i made a couple little chests!

IMG_6413.JPG

Theyll be brown eventually. Bf has the brown paint, and hes at work tonight.

But wait, there's more!

IMG_6414.JPG

MIMICS!

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

They're all great but DAT MIMIC!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice