Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Funori, a type of red seaweed, can be used in a solution to clean paper artefacts and to consolidate torn paper or flaking paint.

(If nothing else, scroll down through this paper to see the before and after pictures; it's very effective.)

It was also used in fixing chalk a chalkboard (the professor the chalkboard belonged to won the Nobel prize, and his campus was storing it as part of his legacy.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    • Informative x 3
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I welcome our octopus overlords

(joke aside, that option is fucking fascinating and would indicate an incredibly advanced mental progress even for a species that's already known to be wicked smart)

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

and thats from 2015, what have the octos been up to in the meantime...

unrelated Today I Learned:

someone mentioned "uterine casts" and i was like what... is that... google tells me its when the uterus just yeets the whole lining out at once. In one piece usually. So you basically get a spooky looking uterus shaped blorp of tissue. wow grody!

• Witnessed x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The word "boustrophedon".

5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

That the tilthat.tumblr.com url should be parsed as "TIL that", not "tilt hat".

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

I reflexively read it as "'til that.", as in 'until'.

7. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

My phone translates multiple languages! This Chinese lady and I at the shuttle stop were totally having a conversation by typing things into our translator apps.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  9. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

• Informative x 5
    • Winner x 2
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Agree x 1
  11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

twitch ran that as a twitch plays pokemon run

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Til there is a shitton of wwe fanfiction. I dont know why i expected any different

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  13. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

TIL that one of the reasons that birds lay eggs is that their core body temperature is much higher than that of mammals - 40°C would literally cook any fetus that tried to incubate internally.

• Informative x 7
  14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

FUN FACT, I have a longtime friend who wrote WWE fanfiction as a teenager. I never read any of it, but yeah, I actually know someone who’s written it!

• Winner x 2
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  16. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

When your credit card company places a hold on your card, for instance because they're concerned it might've been compromised, the message you get from the front-end isn't "there's a hold on this, please contact your bank". The message you get from the front-end is "THIS CARD IS MASSIVELY OVERDRAWN, THERE IS NO MONEY HERE, GO AWAY". On a related note, my credit card company is very attentive to my normal spending habits and isn't afraid of putting holds on my card if they see something that's massively out of the norm for me. Which is nice to know, really.

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  17. cleverThylacine

Unfortunately my credit card company isn't very good at noticing my normal spending habits, because they're not typical to my demographics at all, and this front-end message has caused a lot of trouble with me and a few Japanese businesses. D:

• Witnessed x 3
  18. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

Today I learned that discrimination against Appalachians was significant enough in some areas of the US that "Appalachian regional origin" had to be specifically included in anti-discrimination laws in a few cities

• Informative x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

In Japan, Kit-Kats are SUPER popular, which I already knew. What I DIDN’T know is that part of their popularity is that “kitto katsu” is a Japanese phrase meaning, roughly, “you’re sure to win”—a term of encouragement! (It’s common for students to give them to their friends during exams as a way to wish them good luck.)

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 1
  20. cleverThylacine

YUP

one of the few gluten items I genuinely miss eating are white chocolate and matcha kitkats

I used to buy them by the box and keep them in my freezer.

Japan has amazing kitkat flavours.

I'm kinda bummed that I never managed to eat a sakura kitkat before I found out that they're full of poison (for me).

• Witnessed x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice