Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I've had the green tea, white chocolate, and strawberry ones, but not any others! :0

• Winner x 1
  2. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I've seen orange ones at Nijiya but I can't remember if they were sweet potato or kabocha. Mitsuwa's closer to you, they might have some. I wonder if they get them in during finals week?

• Informative x 1
  3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I may have heard this before but not understood it, but the drummer for the Mountain Goats, Jon Wurster, voiced Marty on Steven Universe :0 what a busy guy

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Acey

Oh man, I knew the name of Marty’s VA but I didn’t know he was the Mountain Goats’ drummer! :0

• Like x 1
  5. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Yesterday I learned that the reason my sweet pea seedlings were all leggy was that the cells I was growing them in were too small! It's a root issue, not a lighting one, which is what I had assumed ^^;;;;

• Like x 2
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Didn't learn this today but remembered it and so you all can learn it! Quote from here.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Today I learned that if your computer mouse is double-clicking intermittently when you're trying to just get a single-click out of it, and the problem can't be resolved by updating the drivers, reducing the speed at which your computer processes double-clicking, and uninstalling and then reinstalling the mouse? Then the mouse is dying and needs to be replaced. Cleaning the contacts or using the very edge of the button to click with can help prolong things, but it's going to die.
    On a related note, I learned that my mouse has been dying for the past year or so. It is so, so nice to have a mouse that just...clicks Exactly Once when I push the button once, instead of having to wrestle with it until it decides it's going to behave.

• Informative x 1
  8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

A few days ago I learned that 1: you can turn grapes into raisins in the microwave and 2: it's very, very much not worth it.

• Witnessed x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

TIL Rick Astley is pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about Rickrolling.

Also apparently someone stole the coat he wears in it after a broadcast in Northern Ireland.

Source (but I wouldn't blame you for not clicking)

• Informative x 4
    • Winner x 1
  10. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

you know, that's a good attitude to have I feel
    better than climbing up his own ass in rage anyway like some people

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  11. budgie

I'm pretty sure that everyone who's clicked agree here has thought of someone different, and the best part is that none of us are wrong.

• Agree x 4
  12. Hawkeguy

Hawkeguy struggling to complete this thought

TIL that this neil cicirega guy everyone's talking about has apparently been responsible for too much stuff i laughed about for just one guy and it's BLOWING MY MIIIIND.
    ([sings] godzilla took a bite outta optimus prime...)

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, he's been this incredibly influential meme factory for something like 15 years now. Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, Potter Puppet Pals, Ariel Needs Legs...

• Agree x 4
  14. budgie

TIL Canada has the world's second-largest national park, Wood Buffalo National Park, which is bigger than Switzerland.

Greenland has the biggest, Northeast Greenland National Park, but imo it's cheating:

[​IMG]

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 2
  15. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

TIL that the skeletons in the swimming pool scene of the original poltergeist movie were in fact real skeletons and not movie props.

• Informative x 5
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  16. Acey

The incorrect usage of an apostrophe to pluralize a noun (e.g. "fresh orange's" instead of "fresh oranges") is called a greengrocer's apostrophe, due to the commonality of this error on greeengrocers' signs.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
  17. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

There's a scene in Going Postal involving a greengrocer, and every single time he says a word with an s in it there's an apostrophe in front of the S. It's beautiful.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  18. budgie

I want to say that there's at least one occasion where there should be an apostrophe and there isn't, but it's been a bit since I've read it.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  19. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

That is even better though.

• Agree x 3
  20. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

that's a running gag in Terry Pratchett, actually! pretty much every time a greengrocer shows up, their punctuation is all wrong.

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice