Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The noise baby pandas make!

• Winner x 7
  2. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

HEY!

• Agree x 5
  3. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Since the invention of vaccines a bit over 200 years ago, the human population has increased from around 1 billion to over 7 billion.

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

From a Dreamwidth comment:

• Informative x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

The reason really little babies grab your finger when you put it in their tiny baby hand is due to the Primate Grip Reflex. I dunno why but I found it delightful that babies that small don't actually know what kind of monkey they are yet so Wanna Hold just in case mama's gonna go swinging off through treetops XDD

• Winner x 10
  6. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I mean, if someone puts their finger in my hand I still kinda just want to grab it, and I'm pretty sure what kind of monkey I am.

• Agree x 8
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

There’s a scene in Wayne’s World where Wayne begins to play a few chords on a guitar in a music shop before an employee puts his hand on the strings to mute them and points to a sign that says “No Stairway to Heaven”. Wayne turns to the camera and says, “No Stairway! Denied!”

I didn’t really realize it the first time I saw the movie, but the chords he plays sound nothing like the opening of Stairway to Heaven. Apparently this was not the case in the theatrical release, but they changed the chords for the home video release because Led Zeppelin wanted a lot more money. Or far fewer chords. Or both. It wasn’t feasible, hence the completely unrelated chords in the home video version.

So Led Zeppelin accidentally made the joke meta, and in my opinion much funnier. No Stairway. Denied!

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Baby crocodiles make laser beam noises!

• Winner x 6
  9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

the best bit is that that is happy baby crocodile noises and they seem to think the person is their parent (i saw a breakdown on a video like that, possibly the same video, as relating to crocodile behaviour and ecology and so on)

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

TIL in the chowder theme song, schnitzel's line is "you share a big piece with everyone"

Here's the confirm from the creator:

Screenshot_20200123-055908.png

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

• Informative x 4
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Soff,,, teeny tiny peets,,,,,,

• Agree x 5
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

15. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Apparently the spiders that pretend to be ants do so to deceive potential predators that would be happier eating spiders over ants, rather than to deceive ants. Warning: picture of an ant and a spider pretending to be an ant. At least, I think one of them is an ant, and I'm pretty sure the other one is actually a spider.

I guess this makes me feel a bit better about them; for some reason, when I first learned about the ant-mimics I got my first case of arthropod-related heeby-jeebies that I can remember.

• Winner x 4
  16. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

TIL that great white sharks and other super big fishes are super slow growing! The really big female white sharks we know of are at least in their sixties and seventies - ultimate badass grandmas :D

• Winner x 11
    • Informative x 3
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

There is a company which sells different-shaped condoms for more comfortable fits on different dick shapes (link obviously NSFW), with randomised letters and numbers on the measuring system to avoid turning it into a literal dick-measuring contest.

• Winner x 4
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Til my 3ds can run for about 7 consecutive hours without pause before the battery dies. I also learned that hyperfocusing on something is no joke, and boy do I feel like shit. I'd still be playing if my 3ds wasn't currently being charged. Bluh.

• Witnessed x 9
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Til some techniques for how animal sounds are made in movies!

• Informative x 4
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice