Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Oh man now that is an argument that not only illustrates the need for evidence, but outright frames it in the same rhetoric that was driving the hunt in the first place. I can see how that would be convincing to enough to change policies.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

There ought to be movies about that guy, there really ought.

• Agree x 3
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

TIL what fossa beans look like and they're fuckin ridiculous
    8126891863b8654ab9ae94a98a26b2d4.jpg

I swear the more I learn about these critters the more they seem like a goddamn hoax

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 4
  4. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Maximum Beans

• Agree x 8
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

TIL Marie Curie and Lorde both have the same birthday as I do!

• Winner x 8
  6. PotteryWalrus

• Winner x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Winner x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

9. PotteryWalrus

No matter the interpretation, Helicoprion always seems to have the eyes of a murdered victorian child.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Informative x 5
  11. PotteryWalrus

TIL that beavers actually prevent flooding!

• Winner x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

About a Helicoprion relative, that, again, no one is sure of the true appearance of because all they've found is teeth. Whatever it was, it's butt-ugly.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

That fingers do in fact fing.
    As of yet, I've found no word on whether otters ot.

• Informative x 5
  14. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

TIL (thanks to Wikipedia's main page) that the reason blackcurrent flavor isn't A Thing in the US is that there was a federal ban on blackcurrent cultivation until 1966! and the reason for that ban is because blackcurrent, which isn't native to north america, is a secondary host for a fungus that attacks white pines, a tree that was historically very important for the timber industry. the timber industry is less important nowadays, and also more research showed that there's really only a risk to the tree when the two plants are cultivated close together in moist conditions, so the federal ban was lifted. but many states still have their own laws on the books.

which a damn shame, because imo blackcurrent purple skittles are FAR SUPERIOR to grape purple skittles and i miss them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant_production_in_the_United_States

• Informative x 9
    • Winner x 1
  15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

:0 oh dang, it's also not really popular AFAICT in Canada. I only see like, bottles of Ribena in some stores and maybe blackcurrant nectar in import stores

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Okay that is WILD, I had no clue! Very interesting stuff, thank you for sharing!

BUT I am mostly responding to say:
    Artificial grape flavor is Bad and Deceptive and The Only Bad Purble. I had no clue that purple Skittles were blackcurrant-flavored elsewhere, but now I really wish they were here, because I am absolutely certain you're correct about their superiority. :(

EDIT: Also @Everett that is some interesting anecdata! I'm guessing it's unpopular in Canada for the same reason as in the States, since it sounds like they're not native to any part of North America, but now I'm deeply curious about Canadian blackcurrant law...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    • Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  17. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Native currants have also been removed in some areas for the same reason, which is a damn shame.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

• Informative x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  19. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I was taught my sewing skills in a weird order! This video postulates that a zigzag stitch is a beginner's method for finishing a seam and a french seam is advanced and couture. I was taught to sew by larpers, and the first two ways I learned to finish an edge were a french seam and a rolled hem, both on my first tunic almost nine years ago. I was never told that a zigzag stitch would do anything but annoy the fabric until a February of 2019, when I took an advanced sewing skills workshop at the same larp.

Though to be fair, french seams aren't that hard if you know all the steps, and they're nearly indestructible for years of regular wear and harsh washing. I still have, and still wear, the tunic I made in 2011. It's faded a lot and is more baby pink than bubblegum these days, and Hello Kitty's face came off in the wash a few years ago (it was fabric paint and peeled off bit by bit), but the seams are still as solid as the day I made them. The fabric is going to wear through and tear before the side seams give way, at this rate.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice