Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Tea candles though, Jesus

Oh! I've also seen them used in rip-off scentzies. Instead of a special light bulb heating scented wax it was a little hole to sit a tea candle in to do it. At that point I was just like "jfc just buy a candle"

• Informative x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Exactly how the traditional Korean age-counting system works. I knew they start babies out as "one" at birth, but apparently instead of counting age on birthdays everyone ages on Korean New Year. Technically if a baby is born in late December it'd be two within a month.

• Informative x 1
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Informative x 3
  4. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Okay so I had to lie still, unsedated while an accursed MRI machine made cosmic washer-dryer noises at me for FIFTY MINUTES today so they could get a good look at my pelvis and spine.

And then when I googled how it works later at home I learned that it involves making my hydrogen atoms wiggle. Like, no. Just no.

Nobody should be allowed to fuck with my molecules like that while I'm still alive, holy shit. Like, no. Put that thing away or so help me.

Idk why I'm so disturbed by this knowledge, but all I'm saying is it better show some clear results or I fully reserve the right to shank someone outta frustration.

• Witnessed x 9
    • Winner x 1
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Putting frozen meat in a ziploc bag in a cold water bath defrosts it really quickly.

• Useful x 3
    • Agree x 1
  6. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

More miserable malady facts with Mal - so when I hit my spoon limit, I nearly always get this brain-sensation that feels to me like old rusty gears in my head struggling to turn and making that awful 'EEERRHHH EEERRRHHH EEERGH' noise, except there's no noise but just a grinding feeling in my head and brow and temples, right?

I always just figured that was how you know you're completely out of spoons and your MP is flashing in the negative points. Called it my gears grinding, bc that's what it feels like.

Happened to describe it to my GP today and what I've been getting is NOT standard exhaustion, it's tension headaches. What you are describing is a tension headache, go take some ibpurofen and lie down, dumbdumb. (Obvs not in those words but the implication was there XD)

Just another thing to add to the list of why my body sucks, I guess!

• Witnessed x 5
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

New Weird author Jeff VanderMeer accidentally created a cryptid.

• Winner x 1
  8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

They discontinued Sierra Mist thirteen days ago

[EDIT] In case anyone is concerned, I am neither happy nor sad about this development; rather I'm just surprised.

Also in case anyone is concerned, Pepsi has rolled out "Starry", which is their new competitor to Sprite. So far reviews are unclear as to whether there is any actual taste difference from Sierra Mist.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Wasn't today but I looked this up recently; polecats are called that because of the French word "poule", meaning chicken, since they eat ground-dwelling birds. Before I looked it up I thought it was because they're long and thin and thus shaped like a pole.

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Today one of my friends mentioned that they know multiple people who thought that
    vaginas contain tastebuds.
    I am in despair at the educational system and that mental image.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  12. houndsoflove

houndsoflove New Member

"Fiesta" and "feast" have the same root word. I noticed this was probably true today, and Wiktionary confirmed it!

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

14. houndsoflove

houndsoflove New Member

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Witnessed x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Sperm theft can be referred to with the word "spurgling". Ewww.

• Agree x 2
  20. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice