Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Not to use my American passport when coming home to the UK, ever. This will result in crying profusely after trying to answer the questions "what is the purpose of your visit" and "how long are you staying" with "I live here!" and being told that no, in fact, I do not.

Also that having misplaced my UK passport is much more of a pain in the ass than I had previously assumed.

• Like x 1
  2. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

Ouch, sympathies. :V (I presume you got through safely eventually, but yikes, that must have been awful. :/)

3. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

It sucked. But there was this really lovely security woman who took pity on me (unlike the extremely unimpressed customs guy), and she helped me figure out how to get home (since all the trains had left) and was just generally incredibly kind to me.

I had brought my UK birth certificate with me in case something happened re: the US passport thing, but when I had no difficulty flying out I assumed it would be OK flying back in, you know? Still, it's a good thing I brought it - that way I was able to prove my UK citizenship and the department was able to look up my UK passport details. They told me off and said to sort it out before next time, but they did let me go. And then the lovely security lady looked after my bags so I could go to the bathroom and get tissues and so on, and when I got back, she said that she'd called the bus driver to make sure the last bus home didn't leave without me! Then she walked me to the ATM and to the bus stop. I'm crying again now just from thinking about how kind she was.

• Like x 6
  4. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

TIL I'm not allergic to jellyfish venom! Yay?

• Like x 4
  5. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

TIL blebbing is an actual for-real technical scientific term

It's such a fun word. Bleb.

• Like x 5
  6. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

You can play every game boy game using only three devices. Gameboy and gamboy color games can all be played on the gameboy color, gameboy advanced and DS games can be played on the DS, and the 3ds games need a 3ds, because nintendo forgot about backwards compatibility.

• Like x 5
  7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I remember playing GBC games on my gba but i dont remember if it can do gameboy games

8. Sethrial MacCoill

gba can do color games but not original gameboy games, i don't think (but I've been wrong before so who knows). I know that DS can't do any gbc or gb games, so I had to add in the gbc to handle those.

• Like x 2
  9. Spooky Mulder

Spooky Mulder Quiet places are good places

TIL about Leonard Lake and Charles Ng who were serial killers in the 80's but they had like a torture bunker and stuff. I dunno. I'm not sure how graphic I can get on this forum. But it was all based off Lake's obsession with the book, The Collector and his desire to create "an off the shelf lover". It's actually way more in depth than I'm getting into. Just like look them up.

10. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

TIL that if I press my pinky to a certain spot in my left ear, I hear a high constant pitch. I have no idea why.

11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

TIL Disney is making another Indiana Jones. Why, Disney. Why do you do this. Let Harrison Ford rest, he deserves it.

• Like x 1
  12. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

maybe they'll get whoever they're casting as Young Han Solo to do it. :P

• Like x 1
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Nope, it's definitely gonna be Ford. The article I read says the crystal skull was supposed to pass the baton to Shia, but since that failed horribly theyre trying again with Ford and some younger actors in 2019. He'll be 77 for God's sakes! He already broke his damn ankle and had to stay in the hospital for quite a long time when they were filming that new star wars! Let him rest, Disney, you money grubbing corporation!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    • Like x 2
  14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Indiana Jones and the Thoroughly Tenured Professorship. Featuing "seriously Doctor Jones, you don't have to prove yourself anymore, we get it, you're amazing, would you please teach this course like you signed up for so we don't have to hire another associate"

• Like x 6
  15. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

It's all a ruse to get out of grading papers.

• Like x 9
  16. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

...valid

• Like x 3
  17. Chopin42

Chopin42 New Member

Found out today in class that, even though none of the computers at school have ProTools running, like they were supposed to several weeks before classes started, we have a pretty extensive collection of nice microphones.

• Like x 2
  18. Sethrial MacCoill

Today I learned that Emma Watson has freckles

image.jpg

• Like x 1
  19. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Today I learned that the closest extant relatives of the pronghorn antelope are giraffes and okapi!

• Like x 5
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Today i learned what an okapi was

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice