Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Heck, depending on where you are you can probably buy tiny fossils for cheapsies from your local mineralogical society! :D (by which I mean yessss join me in the Weird Bone Collecting Pit)

• Like x 1
  2. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

TIL that you cannot add cornstarch to frosting to make it thicker unless it is specifically a frosting that you make on the stove (to the website who said adding cornstarch to frosting without that addendum, eff you -_-); Cold butter works a hell of a lot better as a thickener

• Like x 2
  3. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

TIL that I am not a good enough cook to get away with not measuring things. Also it would probably help if I bothered with recipes beyond "how long do I have to heat this before it stops being poisonous?"

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    • Like x 2
  4. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

TIL that not only was Sir Frederick Banting involved in the isolation of insulin, but he also contributed to work on the first G-force suit, and tested mustard gas antidotes on himself.

• Like x 4
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Today I learned that the Dancing Pumpkin Guy's teenage son is genuinely proud of his dad and even did an impression of the video in a middle school talent show. He even comments on videos parodying his dad's when people assume they're the original, just to politely correct them.

• Like x 6
  6. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

TIL: Higgins Eternal ink is not waterproof. >:(

• Like x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Til david blaine, that scary af magician, wrote a book about minecraft mods.

• Like x 4
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

venting, drinking water, petting a dog, then eating food = good for brain/feelings

• Like x 3
  9. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

TIL I learned that you can buy electric dentist drills on amazon for reasonably cheap. (I'mma use them for fossil extraction)

Also I learned that don't bring dead starfish home from the beach unless you're SURE it's not smelly. What doesn't smell in the wind and open air may well stink up a contained room. I managed to bag it to contain the gases, but the hotel room will never be the same D:

• Like x 4
  10. budgie

Til the little compressed gas containers we use to make whipped cream are recyclable. (the package said so but I didn't know if the local recycling plant could handle them)

• Like x 1
  11. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

TIL I'm not just left-handed, I'm cross-dominant. I do most things with my left hand, but I learned to use a computer mouse, trackball, and then laptop touch-pad with my right hand because corded mice were always on the right side of the computer.

• Like x 4
  12. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Today I learned that apparently turkeys think that humans are super sexy and I'm still upset

• Like x 5
  13. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

14. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

@BunjyWunjy
    Where is this coming from, I want to know more

15. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

@Imoyram @Technicality

oops I should probably clarify that I WAS NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN, HARASSED BY A TURKER OR OTHER LARGE GROUND BIRD and my upset is purely intellectual because jfc who wants to know that gross wattlebirds think they're the sexiest thing on two legs? NOT ME

• Like x 2
  16. Technicality

@BunjyWunjy
    I still have no context or idea what made you think this

17. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

@BunjyWunjy
    okay but where have you gotten this information from? is there an article online about turkeys being attracted to humans?

can I read it

18. Technicality

@BunjyWunjy what I'm saying is 1. What made you think this and 2. [citation needed]

• Like x 1
  19. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • Like x 1
  20. budgie

Oh man I saw that post too, but the person who posted it sadly has a private tumblr.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice