Trans Headcanons

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by autopsyblue, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

@Deresto thanks! Undertale's been a special interest of mine for about a year now.

• Like x 1
  2. I'm not entirely sure why, but Tabitha from Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire seems like they're trans to me. (shrugs)

That's about the only time I've had a trans headcanon on my own. Usually I get mine from other people, either directly or just by being asked to think about it.

• Like x 1
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

If we're talking Pokemon I've headcanoned Bugsy as genderqueer for years now.

• Like x 1
  4. Crossposting

• Like x 5
  5. adrius

adrius New Member

Okay okay. So nobody is watching this shitty anime, and that's fine, I know that it looks bad (as in it leaves a bad impression as one of those "cute girls doing 'guy things' anime" a la Girls Und Panzer), is being handled by a brand new studio, and this kind of story isn't everyone's cup of tea. I know because I thought exactly that when I heard about it. Military stories aren't my thing outside Code Geass, and I don't buy into that whole battle loli bullshit. But this isn't what it looks like.

The main character of Youjo Senki (or The Saga of Tanya the Evil) is a trans man.

I'd normally say "I headcanons Tanya as a trans man" but this is the first time that I've seen a character's transness so baked into the identity of a character that isn't outright stated to be transgender.

Let's look at the evidence:
    • Episode 2 it is revealed that Tanya has memories of his past life
    • In his past life he had been a young adult/middle-aged salaryman
    • When he is killed for being an asshole, the creator (whom he doesn't believe in and calls instead Being X) decides to reincarnate in the most austere possible environment to make him believe in god. So what does he do?
    • He puts him in the body of a baby girl in an orphanage in a world very similar to pre WWI Germany (but with magic)
    • He is raised as Tanya and decides to join the military, seeing it as the only way for to not starve to death, and he thrives
    • That sounded like a plot summary, but that's because his story IS the plot, and the story itself is proof he's trans
    • There's also a heartbreaking extra story about him getting his photo taken for wartime propoganda.
    • He shows up ready after buying new pants, tying up his hair perfectly in his hat, and shining up his medals and boots......only to be forced into a dress
    • I made a whole post about it.
    • It's super indicative of him still identifying as male and thinking of himself as a man.
    • I've seen canon trans people with less obvious "signs of being trans" than this.
    I usually don't try justifying my headcanons this much, but I think this is a legitimate way of interpreting this series. And I want other people to appreciate an actual trans character in anime. He's so badass and is literally making this show for me. I love him and I want others to love him too ;- ;

Save my trans son from his shitty fandom.

• Like x 3
  6. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

I JUST REALIZED I HAVEN'T POSTED IN THIS THREAD FOR TROLLHUNTERS YET, TRAVESTY

jim, draal, angor rot, and nomura all ping me very strongly as trans in particular, and for some reason i also feel like aaarrgghh is nb but fine with male pronouns?

• Like x 4
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I've been playing Baten Kaitos and after many hours of gameplay in which the game steadfastly did not give a gender for the party member Mizuti (who wears a mask, and is always referred to in the third person as "the Great Mizuti"), it did a Big Reveal where we go to Mizuti's hometown and party members are shocked when someone refers to Mizuti as "she." Purely because my brain has by this point gotten used to thinking of Mizuti as a "they," I decided that Mizuti's gender is "Mizuti" and the Great Mizuti has simply not felt like putting in the effort of explaining this to their family and neighbors.

• Like x 4
  8. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I really like trans jim. i don't know why but I do.

• Like x 2
  9. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

frisk, chara, napstablook and monster kid all seem to be heavily implied to be nonbinary to me, and i like it that way with all of them. i kinda dig transboy Asriel bc i bet toriel and asgore would be very supportive, and I enjoy nb Papyrus too. I like.... Undertale. a lot.

i guess bastion is stated by the creator to not have a gender? which is cool... im taking that to mean bastion is nb... much to everyone's chagrin bastion is my favourite, so I like that.

It's cool to see S76 talked about in this thread, bc transdude s76 is a a big one for me. I like to imagine him giving advice to the baby queer kids, as rough as his advice might sound sometimes and just... I'd like someone in the series to be queer and old, especially knowing that S76 - Ana - Rein - Gabe - Torb are all pretty much born into our generation roughly. It's relatable. I do wonder if Blizzard will have any trans characters, or if they just mean gay characters when they said there would be LGBT characters. anything is good, but im curious.

also, there's some canonical trans/genderqueer characters in read only memories.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  10. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

monsters seem to use 'it' as their neutral pronoun, which would put they/them as having a similar status of "sure of their gender" as he and she are for us.
    which would put MK, Frisk, Chara, and Napstablook all at confirmed NB.
    Papyrus's door sign implies NB but he could just as easily be a boy.
    Other monsters are up to interpretation because the narrator is human and may use a mixture of monster neutral 'it' and human neutral 'they'.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Like x 5
  11. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

My favorite OW trans headcanons are Reinhardt and D.Va; they both have a sort of... conscious performance of self? thing going on. Like they've decided who to be and are being that person as hard as they can, and while that doesn't have to indicate trans-ness it's sort of nicely compatible with it.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 1
  12. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

• Like x 6
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

that's adorable

• Like x 1
  14. Ed from Cowboy Bebop strikes me as some kind of nonbinary. Ed came up with Ed's own name, and probably gender too.

• Like x 4
  15. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Ed's gender is Ed.

• Like x 2
  16. Ed/Ed/Ed's

• Like x 5
  17. Aondeug

That just makes me think of one of the Eds from Ed, Edd, and Eddy as being trans. My inclination is Eddy. I am not sure why. Just he seems like the one to me.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  18. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Ed/Edd/Eddy's

EDIT: Damn, Aon ninja'd me.

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  19. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I think it's how much effort he puts into coming off as masculine. Which sounds horribly stereotypical, but especially considering their age and Eddy's inflated-but-really-fragile ego I can see him being the kind of transdude who has to make being a guy a performance art. I've known a who figured out their genderfeels young and went through the "have a mentioned I'm a guy today" phase around people who didn't know they're trans.

• Like x 4
  20. Aondeug

Yeah that's probably it yep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice