True Colors

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Apr 29, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

this is a thread for discussing and showing off anything pertaining to creating with color.

[​IMG]

post your favorite colors and colorways, color palettes, your favorite paints and markers and pencils, your fabric sets for quilting, your charts for color knitting, your color wheel experiments, your dyeworks and garden plans!

• Like x 3
  2. jacktrash

the reason i had the idea of making this thread is because i went to order some winter curtains, and i wanted them to be the faded warm red that is in my wallpaper and carpet, and i thought it would be tremendously hard to match, but it turned out to be last year's pantone color of the year:

[​IMG]

and it was therefore hella easy to find the curtains i wanted! so then i thought to myself... why not come up with a pantone palette for the colors i decorate with, so i can search for them by their pantone names when i need household stuff?

behold: http://www.pantone.com/color-finder

and so with a little work i have created the following:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.39.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.40.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.41.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.42.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.42.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.43.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.44.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.44.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.47.08 PM.png

and that is my restful home. ^_^

• Like x 8
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Aromaleigh. Just. So much pretty pretty shimmer. I will take one of everything thank you.

• Like x 2
  4. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

[camps out here] i have excessively good color vision and i have a lot of fun with those gradient-making games owo

5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i'm not that great at complimenting colors or knowing what goes with what, but i do really love warmer colors. reds and oranges and yellows, and even some of the greens (the ones leaning more towards yellow, obviously). when we get in our house, i want to paint my room this color:

wall.png

6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'm totally pimping Dr. Ph. Martins, because they changed my life. I've got a full set of the india inks, and my old highschool art teacher had four that he'd let the advanced students use at their discretion. I'd honestly hated anything even resembling watercolor before messing with them, so it's a big deal for me.

• Like x 2
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Seconding the pimping of Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay inks. God, they're great. And not horribly expensive!

Now you wanna try something with some hella strong pigments in it, get some of their liquid watercolors. I have some Synchromatics, but I want a set of Hydrus like burning.

• Like x 2
  8. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

test.png
    I got a bonus at work, I had a 40% off coupon for Michael's, so I got the Hydrus set.

hnnnnnngggggg yes

• Like x 5
  9. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i found out recently that, if you add all the colors together, the average color of the universe comes out to...

Cosmic_Latte.png
    it's called "cosmic latte". the hex value is #FFF8E7. the RGB values are 255, 248, 23.

i just think that's the neatest shit. we have a hex code for the background color of the universe. amazing.

• Like x 6
  10. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

[​IMG]
    mah fav (clings to it)

and wrt colors in general?

[​IMG]
    i am become death, destroyer of worlds

Take the test yourself! You basically get an initial 15 seconds to pick the "different" color, and every right answer adds some time to the clock.

[4/23/2016 7:26:03 AM] Trahearne is a fuckboy: why does it say survival skills
    [4/23/2016 7:26:15 AM] Trahearne is a fuckboy: does knowing colors help me fukken figure out how to not die
    [4/23/2016 7:37:30 AM] BOOT GRAB SNAGO: MAYBE I DONT KNOW

11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I got Hawk(? It's in French for some reason) at 25, but that could also be because of my screen.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

13. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Robot at 35 :D

14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Screenshot_1 hj.png

omg

• Like x 1
  15. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

science has told me so far the options you can get are bat, mole, dog, cat, tiger, hawk, and robot in that order and it increases every 5 points. i don't know if there's something after robot. i had to keep refreshing to get to tiger because it's really the blues and purples i have trouble with (i don't think i'm colorblind though?) and the squares are somewhat randomized.

17. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

aquafine.png

I love my Hydruses but they're not really portable enough to just whip out anywhere, so I wanted a fun-size pan set, but something better than Crayola or whatever. Michael's had this Daler-Rowney set on sale. Mine now. Mmm, new watercolors.

• Like x 1
  18. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

A lot of people have more trouble distinguishing small differences in a certain section of the color spectrum- I also have a bit of trouble in the blue-purple area
    my color theory professor had everyone take a bunch of color tests for our first assignment so she could know exactly what color deficiencies she was dealing with- a lot of people discovered slight deficiencies they'd never known about

I got 33 on the game!

• Like x 1
  19. jacktrash

i'd forgotten about this thread! here, have some colorful fountain pen ink:

[​IMG]

i need them all but especially the purple, green, and brown.

• Like x 4
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

33 on that color test. I had a lot of trouble with the greens, especially the bright greens. Did best with blues and pinks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice