Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love, and a Hard-Boiled Egg

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by LadyNighteyes, May 24, 2016.

?

What's your favorite Discworld theme?

1. Rincewind

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. The Watch

35 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. The Witches

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Death and Susan

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Moist von Lipwig

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. Tiffany Aching

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Stand-alone novels

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Yeah, I can't decide at all.

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Sam Vimes is an amazing character, and it always entertains me that it happened completely on accident. You can see reading Guards Guards how he stole the narrative out from under the planned protagonist (Carrot), and it's fantastic. (Guards Guards is also funny because in that one Colon is the anti-monarchist. Though that might just be because he's bitter about his wife embroidering crowns on her underwear. :::PPP)

• Like x 7
  3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i mean, my Vimes tag on tumblr is "my one true love sam vimes".

SHIPPING TALK, i can't believe me it took me as long as it did, but when i thought about Vimes/Vetinari it instantly became my favorite thing. i also would like to submit for your consideration Vimes/Vetinari/Sybil ot3. i like to think that Vimes and Vetinari were dancing around things for a long time, and one day Sybil just decided it was time to sit the boys down and have a talk.

• Like x 6
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Anyone combined the coinciding geek days and got a lilac towel?

• Like x 3
  5. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

oh! i took a lilacselfie a couple days ago (before the lilacs were gone) at my parents' house. #how do they rise up

IMG_3501.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Like x 5
  6. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Guh I was gonna take a selfie but most of the lilacs near me have gone brown...

7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

image.jpeg
    mine don't even have floooowers anymore

• Like x 2
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I eventually went with the Watch because Vimes is my favorite character to see cameo in other peoples' books, but boy was it close.

• Like x 2
  9. LadyNighteyes

You mean like how he makes a big deal about how he insists on shaving himself as an act of rebellion, but everyone describing him when he shows up in their books comments on him being badly-shaven? :::)))

• Like x 15
  10. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

I have lilacs in full bloom, but the thought of going outside right now is Nope, I can't reread Night Watch because that book is at home and I am not, and I don't have any of the other Discworld books either, so I'm just gonna... pretend like it's still the 25th tomorrow and do it properly then.

(also i keep typoing Discworld as Discoworld in my tumblr tags and it's a nice mix of amusing and infuriating)

• Like x 2
  11. smyxolotl

smyxolotl a person.

@LadyNighteyes YES. It fills my heart with song tbh.
    My favorite Vimes cameo is probably in Monstrous Regiment, because that book is made of things that I love, and then: SURPRISE VIMES. I yelled out loud (in a public place even).

@hyrax ALSO YES. Sometimes I go to the Vimes/Vetinari tag at AO3 and weep over the scarcity of fic, just to torture myself. Vimes/Vetinari/Sybil is so sweet too. For some reason the relationship just becomes so much more sensible and cuddly with her in it, in my mind.

• Like x 7
  12. Petra

Petra space case

They rise feet up!

• Like x 3
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

how did i never notice that

• Like x 9
  14. KarrinBlue

Did you by any chance notice that the Selachii and Venturi families are a pun off of the sharks and the jets?

• Like x 4
  15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I didn't until I read a thing on, I think, Lspace? but i laughed very loudly when i found out

• Like x 1
  16. LadyNighteyes

That was probably the single one in my Discworld name puns post that got the most "WAIT WHAT" comments. Well, that and Casanunda.

(My favorite part is that it's a reference to West Side Story, which is based on Romeo and Juliet, and Hwel wrote a play equivalent to Romeo and Juliet starring a Selachii and a Venturi. And so the circle is complete. :::PPP )

• Like x 6
  17. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

feet up, feet up high

• Like x 2
  18. blue

@LadyNighteyes until you pointed out the Les Mis thing, I really didn't notice the parallels, SUCH AS carcer claiming that vimes is pursuing him for stealing a loaf of bread once

(I'm rereading night watch. vimes is excellent, as ever. bby!vetinari is adorably terrifying. carcer is such a complete bastard, I love him.)

• Like x 6
  19. blue

Havelock sighed, but inwardly, because he respected his aunt. He just wished she was a bit more sensible about cats. He felt instinctively that if you were going to fondle a cat while discussing matters of intrigue, then it should be a long white-haired one. It shouldn't be an elderly street tom with irregular bouts of flatulence.

other things I never caught: this bit of irony. MY DUDE, I ASSURE YOU YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND AS SOON AS YOU DISCOVER YOU ARE ACTUALLY A DOG PERSON

• Like x 11
  20. KarrinBlue

RIP Wuffles.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice