Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love, and a Hard-Boiled Egg

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by LadyNighteyes, May 24, 2016.

?

What's your favorite Discworld theme?

1. Rincewind

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. The Watch

35 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. The Witches

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Death and Susan

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Moist von Lipwig

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. Tiffany Aching

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Stand-alone novels

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

yeah the lilacs here bloom in April and are gone by early May! i always have to take my lilac selfies like a month before the ACTUAL 25th of May.

2. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Last year when I was standing by our lilacs trying to take a photo my neighbor came up and gave me a freaking kitten, so perhaps I will not risk it. (Also it's pouring.)

• Like x 3
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

No lilacs round here, will a light purple headscarf do?

• Like x 1
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Another Very Important Night Watch thing to consider: the Times probably about ran out of exclamation points, there were so many headline-worthy stories that day, and there was almost certainly a political cartoon about
    Vimes running naked through the city,
    and Sibyl definitely requested the original and had it framed.

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 2
  5. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Okay, I'm pretty sure that first bit is the opposite of a problem?

6. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Well, they came to me because they knew my mom did animal rescue, and it was a stray kitten off the street, and my mom was out so I brought it into the bathroom and then she was mad because it hadn't had any sort of vetting and it could have gotten our cats sick, so.... Alas we have so many cats that I no longer see new ones showing up as a boon :P

• Witnessed x 3
  7. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I'm sure the Times always keeps a few spare exclamation marks aside for Vimes.

Eta: they had to add a dozen more to their emergency supply when Moist took over the post office.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
  8. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Via Tumblr: "Another thing I love about Terry Pratchett's writing is that in a world of magic, all the wizards were desperate for science to be real."

And it's true. The older wizards might not really understand Ponder Stibbons and his crew, but they very much appreciate that Ponder has figured out, for example, that Death can be summoned with 2 cc's of mouse blood and an egg, rather than needing to go to a whole elaborate ritual requiring a virgin.

And they equally want to get the exact same result that science provides: knowing why something happens, and knowing at least enough to figure out when you'll stop getting the result you expect and what you can do to avoid that happening to begin with. No one wants to accidentally open up a tear into the Dungeon Dimensions, and no one wants to accidentally explode themselves or turn people into frogs either.

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 2
  9. Kay5

Kay5 the most glorious spoon

Happy 25th of May

There aren't really any lilacs around for me to take photos of, but I'm still in the habit of wearing something on my wrist each year in remembrance

[​IMG]

(okay, I know it's more purple than lilac, but you've gotta work with what you've got)

• Like x 7
  10. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I don't know where any lilacs around me are! It's starting to be a bit late for them where I live, though

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  11. hyrax

yeah it was such a cold winter, and such a rainy spring... normally the lilac flowers are almost over by the end of May but this year they're just barely getting started. here's my lilacselfie from last year, though!

IMG_5898.JPG

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  12. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i also have lilacs today! the thing where global warming has actually made some of north america colder is showing an unexpected benefit. :D

• Winner x 4
  13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

• Winner x 12
    • Like x 1
  14. hyrax

holy shit i want to rate that informative, useful, and winner, because it's all those things! i always knew roughly where the fighting etc took place, but seeing it marked out like that is great. thank you for making it!

• Agree x 3
  15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Saw some lilacs in minneapolis last week, but i don't know if they're blooming here yet

• Like x 1
  16. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

IMG_0324[1].JPG
    Down by the traintracks.

• Winner x 7
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

GNU!

• Agree x 5
  18. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

all the lilacs here are in heavy bud, but nothing's bloomed quite yet
    @auxanges and I are gonna go for a lilac walk as soon as they come in and the delay means I might have enough time to coerce her into reading Night Watch after all

• Like x 2
  19. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I only started reading Discworld last year, but I have read them all straight through in original publishing order, only I had to stop at Unseen Academicals because I don't have any of the other books :(

Turns out I once read Wintersmith when I was younger and I did like it, but not enough to go looking for the other books.

I honestly am not sure which storyline is my favourite because I love most of them a lot.

• Like x 3
  20. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

you know how in japan they do cherry blossom viewing, where you have a picnic under the cherry trees when they bloom? we should do lilac viewing in the midwest.

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice