Twilight (Or: I yell at Meyer)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by bornofthesea670, Oct 6, 2015.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

just reading part of the live-tweeting linked earlier I am PSYCHED i genuinely WANT to read this and I'll pay money for it as much as twilight is basically the literary equivalent of microwave cheeseburgers, this sounds genuinely fun. My poor tablet is gonna get infested with yet more trash vampire romance stuff oh noooooo :P

• Like x 5
  2. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

@IvyLB I know, right? I'm seriously considering it myself, Edythe sounds like great fun.

[​IMG]

And I kind of like the idea of reversing things so the guy is the Naive Young Human and the girl is the Jaded Ancient Terror.

• Like x 9
  3. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i still can't get over how awful i think the name edythe is :"'D please, just.....there's nothing wrong with it being spelled edith.......

• Like x 1
  4. IvyLB

had to abandon livetweet-reading because my computer is small and frail and my browser crashed on fifteen seperate attempts of getting past chapter five. It's okay netbook. No one forces you anymore. shhh.

5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I read Twilight when it first came out, I was in sixth grade and wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was eh, I kept reading the series just to see what happened but I never got invested really.
    (Alice tho. Alice.)

• Like x 4
  6. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Would it even be worth it to start a Twilight thread for people who actually LIKE Twilight or am I the only one?

(I don't like it for the reasons a lot of people like it. I don't find it particularly romantic and I want to hit Jacob on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper all the time, but I really, really, REALLY do like it.)

• Like x 1
  7. cleverThylacine

I loved Leah Clearwater. I want her to get her own book.

Emily married the guy who mauled her. *facepalms*

• Like x 1
  8. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I don't know, but I would totally read a post/stalk a thread of you talking about liking Twilight 'cause I enjoy that sort of thing regardless of my interest in the thing being liked.

• Like x 2
  9. cleverThylacine

Aw. Well, there's this: http://tiferet.dreamwidth.org/63103.html :)

• Like x 1
  10. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

You've gone and done it, now I want to read the books. (I was going to say "again" but honestly I've really only skimmed them. I mean, it was a very thorough skimming, but....) Also:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like x 3
  11. cleverThylacine

And now the Quileute tribe has put up a website so that everyone knows exactly how much racefail she committed. I really wish she'd just made up a name for that tribe instead of slandering real people: http://www.burkemuseum.org/truth_vs_twilight/

But...I still do love the books. I ordered the genderswap book today. Were it not for this site I wouldn't have known it existed.

I never really got into the fandom because when people were hollering about Team Jacob vs Team Edward I just wanted to smack them all. Jacob is Fetch cause he's not gonna happen and Edward is not a perfect dude by any set of standards.

The best characters in Twilight are Bella, Alice and Rosalie. I am also rather fond of Carlisle.

One thing I find amusing in terms of Stephenie Meyer being a Mormon and kind of hooked into the whole patriarchal mindset is that in actuality, in most of the Cullen relationships, the women are firmly in charge. Carlisle comes across as being a leader morally, but I have always seen Rosalie, Alice and Bella as holding the reins on Emmett, Jasper and Edward. It makes me wonder if Stephenie tops from the bottom, so to speak.

I know we're supposed to think that Emily (Mrs Alpha Wolf) has an important role in her marriage as confidante but I never actually saw it. The only "Quileute" woman who really impressed me was Leah. Who needs her own damn book.

Also haha, not only do the real Quileutes not live that way, real wolf packs don't either. Aggressive alpha behaviour is typical of unrelated wolves thrown together in captivity; wild wolf groups are usually family groupings.

• Like x 5
  12. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

As a Washingtonian I can unfortunately also confirm that Forks is a real place mostly inhabited by tourists wearing Twilight merch. Port Angeles is somewhat inhabited by not-tourists, but the Twilight merch is there too. Sigh.
    (also ugh for real books about Leah, Alice, and Rosalie need to happen immediately)

• Like x 1
  13. IvyLB

Alice is my favorite thing about everything I love Alice Cullen and tbh when everyone was having a big fight about edward or jakob I was just sitting over in my corner wanting more screentime for Jasper and Alice because those two are just... way cooler than everyone else?

• Like x 7
  14. cleverThylacine

Alice and Jasper are super cute. Also it doesn't hurt that they were played by really attractive people in the movies. Although as much as I love the books, New Moon is one of the very worst movies I've ever seen, right up there with Star Trek Into Darkness in terms of a) general badness and b) being extra terrible compared to the book New Moon (or The Wrath of Khan). Even though I have that green dress. (I actually bought the green dress because it looks awesome on me and is a super cute green dress. I look good in most of the same colours Kristen Stewart does.)

• Like x 1
  15. IvyLB

yeah New Moon was just
    terrible
    I watched it in cinema
    honest to god someone screamed 'PUT YOUR GODDAMN SHIRT BACK ON' at the screen and threw popcorn when Edward was getting ready to commit dramatic sparklepire suicide
    Jakob spent not near enough time shirtless to make that not a total time and money loss.
    At least the third movie had pretty CG wolves.

ETA: disclaimer I have seen none of the parts of the fourth book's movie adaptations because at that point I was firmly in the denial phase of 'holy shit what the fuck how did I enjoy that'
    It's like an 'I'm-vegan-because that's healthier'-phase but for books until I realized that honestly.... The books weren't the death of modern culture people made them out to be.
    The movies however remain objectively pretty bad.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    • Like x 4
  16. cleverThylacine

I kind of like the first and third one and bits of the fourth and the fifth, but if I hadn't been with a friend I would have walked out of New Moon numerous times. She would've too, probably too bad we never discussed it till after.

17. cleverThylacine

So I read the Edythe and Beau book.

I liked it.

It starts out with very little changing except for the (rather terrible, but very Utahn) names. But the ending is totally different and probably what the original book's ending ought to have been, even though Stephenie doesn't think so.

Edythe comes off a bit more sinister than Edward but I think part of that's because a guy from the 1900s acting like that is kind of expected unless he's been dating through the years, which Edward hasn't--but it's not expected for a lady from the 1900s. I'd sit there going, "no, that's not really worse than what Edward did, it's just weirder."

I do think Stephenie's point--that a human in the midst of vampire society and politics is helpless regardless of gender--is well made. BUT:

It's also very interesting that she thought it was okay for Bella to spend 3.5 books in that helpless condition but Beau got leveled up at the end of the first one. *shrug* I never thought Stephenie didn't have any internalised misogyny, I just think Bella is a badass in spite of that, and in spite of the fandom's obsession with the boys.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice