Tyranny of Dragons Campaign OOC Thread

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by esotericPrognosticator, Apr 17, 2017.

?

are you reading this thread?

1. hell yeah!!

21.4%
  2. I'm. part of the campaign so. yes?

57.1%
  3. HELL yeah sign me the FUCK up for the microfandom dude

21.4%
  4. no I'm just a sarcastic piece of shit

42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhh. Hm, maybe a combo? Auralee is headed to Candlekeep, but in the meantime is staying a bit in town to gather funds/collect info?

• Like x 1
  2. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Could also do it the other way around. Auralee wintered-over at Candlekeep, and is out gathering funds and collecting information from people who are starting to travel again more now that Spring is coming, catch the rumors that Winter might have kept quiet?

I feel like Salt is known to more people than Salt really knows, if that makes sense. Though given the number of probable connections there, it might be easier to just say everyone. At any rate, Salt'd know: the town guards, the local criminal element, and maybe an innkeeper (if she doesn't have a little (literal) hole in the ground somewhere) or some of the more prominent/shady merchants/figures of import. Not sure she'd know many of them well, and given the name-confusion she might only know a handful of them to the degree that she'd use their proper names rather than a simpler-to-remember epithet of some sort.

Oooh, I like the marked spoilers idea. I've personally found that for big secrets that are meant to be important to the game, having them in the open makes them easier to work in even while the characters don't know them (dramatic irony and the like), whereas if nobody but the DM and I know my character even has a dark secret it's really hard to have it come up organically. (Salt hasn't got a big dark secret, FYI. At least, not one that I'm aware of.)

Whaaat? Us? Nooo~ooo... :p

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I think I've fixed it for the most part. I forgot how modifiers work, mostly in that any 2 points over ten adds one to your modifier (so for ex: 14 is +2 for saving throws and stuff.)
    for combat, if i'm holding the staff in one hand, I roll a d6, and for two hands, a d8?
    aaand, is there anything I forgot, didn't do quite right? [Link back to the sheet]

4. Helen of Boy

You've still got +X in front of your quarterstaff, instead of the actual number. (+2, I think? Proficiency Bonus + Stat Modifier, anyway.)

5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I wasn't sure how to lay that out on the sheet, I think I understand how it works though.

6. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

@esotericPrognosticator
    Marked spoilers work fine for me. Also I think I'm fine with Marian not knowing anyone, if she's just arrived -- if she's been there a few days she might have gotten acquainted with a more liberal-minded smith or ostler.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. garden

garden lucid dreamer

thanks!!

thanks for all the info! i don't know a whole lot about this setting so this was definitely helpful.

honor fighting in a militia led by a bronze dragon sounds good! also honor challenging people to duels sounds fun and plausible. sergeant seems like a good rank (not gonna lie, i appreciate the alliteration in "Sergeant Songsteel.")

(medics are important!)

first time!
    Honor has just recently (in the past few days) traveled to Greenest in her wanderings, and her plans probably weren't to stay there longer than a few weeks.

i figure Honor's a newcomer to town, so she probably hasn't made any real connections or anything.

welllll i don't know the setting very well, so i don't have a specific locale in mind atm, but let's say they were from somewhere not particularly close to Greenest, and the same goes for the battle in which Iris died. it's been... between one and two years since Iris died. i figure Honor's been doing the "settle someplace for a few weeks before moving on" thing. thanks for the questions!

i think it's possible that they've run into each other at some point! i'm open to it if @The Frood Abides is. it's definitely plausible!

i figure i'll put Honor down for "just recently arrived," so you can assume she doesn't know anyone except maybe like, the innkeeper.

marked spoilers sound fine!

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  8. The Frood Abides

@garden Sure! I was thinking of Marian as a loner at first, drawing a lot of my inspiration from the Chalion books -- but this could easily be a Cazaril-and-Umegat situation, where one of them knew a bit more about what it means to be god-touched and passed on that information to the other. Neither of 'em is exactly a scholar, though (Soldier and Folk Hero backgrounds). They could have just been drawn to each other and wondered over drinks, "what clusterfuck could possibly require two of us?" before parting again.

• Like x 4
  9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Sorry guys, I'm still here and planning to be part, I'm just in a weird functioning deficit.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  10. The Frood Abides

@garden Holy shit, we're the Boondock Saints

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  11. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind when y'all are interacting in the town. also, Frood, thank you for "ostler," I had no idea there was such a word and am delighted by its existence. :D

so noted! marked spoilers it is. I hadn't considered the secretive dramatic irony thing, but you're right, that'd be really helpful for the Narrative.

yep, both of those are correct.
    and no, it all looks good to me! at long, long last! ;P

you're welcome! :)

I was lowkey really proud of that bronze mercenaries idea, I'm glad you like it

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY THIS MAKES ME
    frantically brainstorms why the fuck the Bastard would be interested in this campaign in particular

• Like x 3
  12. The Frood Abides

@garden Maybe Honor and Marian even roll up to Greenest together? I rather like the idea of being a dynamic duo.

• Winner x 2
  13. garden

garden lucid dreamer

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. swirlingflight

I'm really sorry for my part in slowing the enthusiasm and momentum here. I want to figure out just the right interesting or funny or neat thing to say to reignite the thread but I don't know what...

I realized that a big part of me getting stuck was realizing cults are real and serious and emotionally intense things, and I didn't know if I was prepared to portray a character raised in one in a sensitive way. Nobody has expressed worry about it, though, so I think that was mostly brainbugs getting to me. Sorry again for getting all distressed and unsure what I was looking for.

slowing not showing

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Witnessed x 4
  15. Helen of Boy

Will say for the open record that I'm not too worried about you doing a good job of portrayal. They're real and serious, but impact people differently so I don't imagine there's much of a wrong way to run a character raised in one. They're awful things, but also pretty ridiculous to the outside observer who hasn't dealt with that kind of abuse. Can't speak for everyone ever, but for a character in a game, shouldn't be too bad even if you did get something wrong/do something insensitive here and there, I think.

Again, not been in one myself, they're just my partner's favourite thing to study and so I've heard a lot about them.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  16. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@swirlingflight it's alright! as you may remember, it took me some weeks to cobble my character together. you're not the only one to get stuck :p

• Like x 1
  17. swirlingflight

I liked those posts because I didn't yet have words, but thank you for the reassurances. I'd mostly been going ahhh because the thread's been quiet a few days, and wanted to get that off my conscience. So lemme back that up further by going back to:

Thunder sees lizardfolk as "wholly distinct" with a side of "unsettling resemblance," because there's so many varieties of scaley humanoids and they're almost all related to dragons, what's with these non-dragon lizardfolk?

I'm gonna go with "not yet" due to only just coming to town. Gives me the chance/excuse to instigate one if there's tavern times and a desire for combat.

• Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  18. The Frood Abides

Five gods and a five-headed dragon queen... Maybe there's an ancient grudge here somewhere. Tiamat is Lawful Evil, while the Bastard's canonical ambit has more to do with the Chaotic demons, but there's still some thematic resonances you could play with. Part of the Bastard's responsibility is keeping evil extraplanar influences out of the material realm, or at least controlling them (see: the entire plot of Paladin of Souls). If Tyranny of Dragons is about Tiamat trying to establish a beachhead in Faerun, I can see him driven to intervene.

(Also, in canon FR, Tiamat was originally part of the Untheric pantheon, which followed their worshipers from another world when they were taken as slaves by the wizard empire of Imaskar. Maybe this Faerun's Imaskari visited Chalion, too, and so unwittingly gave the Family a foothold here.)

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  19. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

• Like x 2
  20. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Arg sorry I've been in longform meltdown mode for a few weeks and I'm still feeling a little like a garbage mole. :( I think I can do more thoughts now, is there anything you'd like me to work on?

• Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice