Ugh, college

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by wixbloom, Mar 2, 2015.

1. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

So the first day of the first class of college and the professor already: 1. Forbids cellphones 2. Punishes students who arrived late for a class that starts at 7:45 on a Monday in a campus 40min away from downtown and over an hour away from my house. 3. Punishes students who leave early 4. Claps loudly and repeatedly if she thinks there's too much conversation going on.

And it's my 9nth and second to last semester and I'm already so done with this, and I have a headache and am ANGRY because I can't concentrate when class is too restrictive of stuff such as doodling or reading books or browsing the internet, I just get stressed out, jumpy and bored. Whyyyy do people in teaching positions still think "sit down with eyes on me and hands where I can see them" is a reasonable request?

2. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

My advice? Drop the class or get into a different section or if you have any sort of accommodations on file make her let you have those accommodations.

• Like x 2
  3. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

I do not! I'm not diagnosed with anything, I'm on the typical side of brainweird. I did tell her I live an hour from campus, so she won't penalize me for arriving late, and well, as long as I can draw in class, it's manageable (and since she has written rules and "not drawing" isn't one, I think I'm covered)

4. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

At least, good news: my other professor is a total darling and his class is going to be a lot better than I'd been expecting. He's more respectful of students than any other internship advisor I ever had and his expectations for hours are reasonable and he's a sweet old man who likes to sperg out about etymology <3

• Like x 3
  5. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

teachers like that are really annoying. so long as i'm not distracting anyone else, does it really matter if i'm doing a match-3 game or hanging on your every word? (actually, i pay more attention when i'm playing a mindless game; then i'm not sitting there going 'uuuugh when is class over')

what's your other class, may i ask?

6. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@budgie It's my Obligatory Portuguese Internship II. In Brazil, aspiring teachers need to undergo 2 obligatory unpaid teaching internships in each language they're getting their degree on before being able to graduate. I have to do 4 total. I've finished English I and Portuguese I, and next semester I'm taking English II. The class is usually a mixture of activities as students (we present a seminar at the beginning of term and hand in a paper at the end detailing our experiences) and as teachers (we prepare an integrated project, make lesson plans and teach in actual public school classrooms).

There's a set number of hours for each internship, but in practice you do less because they consider that some of these hours you're spending at home preparing your lessons according to your own schedule. HOW MUCH you have to do in the school and how much is considered free time to prepare lessons is up to individual professors to decide. So, for example, Portuguese I is 25 hours in the semester, and my prof. said she expected us to do 20 hours of presential class and 5 of prep work at home. For Portuguese II, which is 30 hours total, this wonderful prof. said he wants only 12 hours of class work and the rest of at-home time! That's what I meant by "his expectations for hours are reasonable"

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

it depends, personally I get really distracted when people around me are playing games on their computer or texting on their phone (I guess I am just really distracted by shiny things lol). That along with other reasons is why I generally sit as close to the front as I can. But I've heard other people complain too when people are texting/playing games/chatting with their friends being a huge distraction too. I know most of my professors have similar rules about arriving late/leaving early and using phones and stuff in class, but will give some leeway (like using your phone if you have kids or are expecting some kind of call that can't wait). I think it's mostly an issue of respecting other people's time.

I still doodle a lot on class though because most of the time professors talk too fast in class for me to write notes and actually listen to what they are saying. I havn't been yelled at for drawing instead of writing notes since I was like... 12.

8. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@liminal yeah, that's why i sit in the back of the class. most of my classmates are on computers too, which i find makes other people's screen less distracting. personally i find texting more distracting because people tend to be taking their phone in and out of pockets + the buzzing; changing tabs on a computer is much less so.

@wixbloom oh, that seems much more reasonable! i'm not sure how you could make 20 hours of in-class stuff with only 5 hours of at-home prep.

• Like x 2
  9. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@budgie You don't, you do tons of overtime which is not computed and which nobody takes into account when assigning you homework and reading for classes, and end up freaking out and having a terrible experience.

10. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I have had profs like that. It did not go well.
    Also I saw the title of this thread and went "Ah! My Tribe!"
    Maybe we should have a subforum by age or life grouping, too.

• Like x 2
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Wouldn´t a College thread suffice? I concur though, college.... (And college websites. So helpful. asdfghdfgsssssfg!)

• Like x 2
  12. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

...ugh college... this being my sixth year of college and my last semester, I can't wait for it to be done and over with... and yet, I am having the hardest semester ever *throws up hands* why?!
    In other news, thanks for the creating this forum, I shall be perusing it often.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice