Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Can someone tell me what the echofell AU is and if it's child appropriate? There's a minor at this con role playing/cosplaying frisk from that AU and I am getting bad vibes.

2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

it's an au of the flowerfell au (an underfell au in which golden flowers grow on frisk every time they reset) in which echoflowers grow on frisk instead. and flowerfell is frisk/sans (not sure if aged up or not) and i assume echofell is too, but i'm not sure. i don't think either echofell or flowerfell are completely 18+, but i'm not sure.

anyway, i think it should be fine, and that, honestly, that cosplayer isn't your business.

3. When the person asks to hang out with me, then talks to me for like ten minutes about how Sans treats them like a slave and keeps them chained up in their basement, completely in character, and asking if that's normal or okay, it starts to become my business. I know I can't stop them but it was... not a nice conversation.

• Witnessed x 5
  4. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

... yeah, that is creepy of them, coming and talking to you about that. and it was not what i was picturing when you brought the subject up, honestly.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

[​IMG]

Source is gone, link goes to reblog of source. Done by tumblr user crowtez

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 2
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
  7. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

somehow the funniest part of that is the "this route has tolls"
    why is that funny

anyway on a different note imagine the fallen humans all going to like, a tango class

• Agree x 1
  8. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Can somebody please explain the Dog Shrine, did I miss an Undertale update or is it exclusive to other versions or a fan thing or...something?

9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

PlayStation 4 content!

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 3
  10. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

That...sure was something.

• Agree x 5
  11. THE GREAT PAPYRUS

THE GREAT PAPYRUS MASTER ARTISAN OF PUZZLES AND PASTA!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  12. swirlingflight

heyyyyyyyyy
    so the japanese translation is out
    and people are putting up bits and pieces about it
    • Papyrus uses oresama, the most outrageously self-absorbed pronoun on the block
      • but
      • only most of the time!!
      • Some of the time when at home and/or talking to Sans, he switches to boku, a much milder pronoun with connotations of feeling young. At least partly because:
    • He refers to Sans as niichan, which means: Papyrus is younger, Sans is older, popular headcanon confirmed.
    • And he initially refers to the human as kisama, which is an archaic form of "you" which is mostly used in anime/entertainment as a haughty, confrontational tone, kinda like "you fiend..." After the fight, he drops it.
    • His text is displayed vertically, right to left -- evidently unlike the rest of the characters.
    • Flowey uses boku all the time, even Omega Flowey
    • In a variety of ways, he mostly talks in a cutesy, childish way.
    • He starts using ore/omae as Hyperdeath Asriel, but doesn't keep it up the whole way.
    • Chara uses watashi
    • Sans switches from oira to some other pronoun during his fight? The source didn't mention what specifically
    still waiting on news of anybody else.

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 3
  13. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Any idea which 'you' pronoun gets used by the narration for Frisk?

14. swirlingflight

haven't heard yet! so far i'm only getting like 4th hand news; person 1 playing the game, telling person 2 bits and pieces of things, who passes it on to person 3 who posts it on tumblr... i'll edit stuff into that post as i hear about it.

• Like x 2
  15. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I don't know the significance of the pronouns, can someone explain to me?

16. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Japanese pronouns are afaik pretty widely varied and usually tell a lot about how the speaker perceives who they refer to, including especially first person pronouns. it's mostly super implicit things that are hard to articulate without intimate knowledge of the language but it's a pretty big part of conveying characterization in japanese media! So it's interesting to look at how an official translation approaches them for characters because it adds like... flavor?
    (this is brought to you by: Closer to two than one decade of animu watching)

• Informative x 5
    • Agree x 1
  17. swirlingflight

Japanese pronouns do a lot more with connotation, association, context than just "I" and "you" do. Part of expressing the relationship between the speaker and whoever they're talking with, somewhat to do with how they think of themselves and how they should be conveying themselves. I'm so not a Japanese speaker/reader/etc, so I just reference the Wikipedia entry for a walkthrough of a good number of them, and google for other sources for oddities like oresama.

Watashi - used by Chara, so far
    Boku - used by Flowey, and Papyrus at some unspecified private times / talking with Sans
    Ore - apparently used by Sans at least some of the time in his fight
    Oira - used by Sans most of the time, it's a country accent version of ore
    Oresama - used by Papyrus a lot of the time, it's such a cartoonishly pompous pronoun that it's not even on wikipedia; the consensus I've seen looking around is, it's almost only used in anime/entertainment stuff by boastful delinquent sorts

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Informative x 4
  18. Is there a pronoun that conveys "im a total loser"? For personal reference.

• Witnessed x 1
  19. swirlingflight

there's more translation stuff!

flowey = boku
    toriel = watashi
    napstablook = ???
    papyrus = refers to himself as oresama, occasionally papyrus-sama, occasionally ore,
    just once we see him use boku - after sans' spacetime trick with the treadmill, when he thinks he's talking to sans and that no one else is home. corrects himself back to oresama the moment he realizes it's not sans.
    refers to his brother almost only as nii-chan
    uses kisama a lot for the human and apparently for people other than the human too?
    refers to undyne as undyne-taicho the first time she's on screen
    his entire text box is right-to-left, with his talk sprites on the right and reversed from the english version. everyone else's text boxes still feature faces on the left in the same way. uses the same font as everyone, but his is vertical.​
    sans = oira, but switches to ore as a lost soul and/or in the judgement hall - wasn't clear if it was only in his fight or not
    refers to his brother once as otouto, otherwise as papyrus
    has a very rounded font for his comic sans parallel, uses the same font as everyone else when he's being creepy and serious​
    monster kid = ore
    undyne = watashi
    mad dummy = ore
    mettaton = boku
    still says "OH YES" in english, tosses gratuitous english in his speaking​
    temmie = temmie, achishi in battle
    they randomly mix hiragana and katakana and english letters, temmie is written in kanji, and when they say bye they say "byenara" instead of "sayonara"​
    alphys = watashi
    uses more japanese emotes​
    catty and bratty = atashi
    royal guards 01 and 02 = ore or maybe orera
    asgore = watashi
    the fallen human = kanji form watashi
    asriel = ore/omae, then boku again

there's a bunch of other notes about worldbuild translation stuff, speech styles and references to earthbound and the mother games

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice