Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'm surprised by mettaton using "boku." it sounds too humble for him.

2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

heh, yeah. i guess he self-aggrandizes in other ways. somebody on my plurk timeline said they'd thought he'd be a boku, i got the impression i emphasizes a boyish sense relevant for mettaton, who'd wanted a body he could feel like himself in.

• Like x 2
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

yeah, i can see that sense fitting him. mettaton is bishonen, after all. and young. (though undertale's timeline is vague enough that it's debatable, depending on how "young" is defined.)

• Agree x 1
  4. I dont understand the significance of the different alphabets. What does it imply?

5. swirlingflight

i don't speak or read japanese either, so i'd have to google for an answer

• Witnessed x 1
  6. swirlingflight

i thought it was something like that, though i didn't remember which way is which. katakana which is the sharper-sounding one is the sharper-symboled version, that's easy to remember. woot.

one thing i do know is that media that's meant to be inclusive of younger audiences minimize the use of kanji, sticking mostly use hiragana and katakana, since those are much smaller sets of characters, easier for kids to memorize and sound out. kanji are... there's Lots

• Informative x 3
  7. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

apparently there's now more narration and some new dialogue added in the steam version and that's part of what the Mystery Update was?

• Informative x 5
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Kanji are also complicated because they represent both sounds and single words in one sign afaik which is why some animes have name puns based on the single kanji used to spell the names, or have characters correct people's readings of their names because there are multiple ways to read the same kanji, or have people spell their names out by naming the Words the kanjis used represent

• Informative x 4
  9. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

That is all I needed to know, this is a perfect translation.

• Agree x 8
  10. I had a terrible thought this morning. An Undertale AMV featuring Toriel... with the song "butterscotch" by Ke$ha.

• Witnessed x 1
  11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

a new undertale headcanon: very few monster species even really have different sexes. all monsters of a given species have about the same sort of privates configuration. some species do still have what may look to an uninformed human to be sexual 'dimorphism'; this is really the monster's body developing according to cues from their soul-so, for example, barring genetic disorders, a boss monster man would develop large horns and a mane, while a boss monster woman would develop small horns and no mane, and a nonbinary boss monster might develop large horns and no mane or small horns and a mane.

gender 'dimorphism', not sexual 'dimorphism'! (dimorphism is in quotes because really it's more like trimorphism or tetramorphism or whatever it really depends on the species.)
    this process does take time-it's not instant. like, if asgore woke up one morning as a woman, her horns would take weeks to shrink (assuming she didn't decide to keep them) and it'd be a while before her mane finished falling out.

and if toriel became a man he'd have to wait for his horns and mane to grow in fully.

and then of course there's the monsters that don't have physical gender differences either-like whimsuns or froggits.

• Like x 9
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Another 100mb update.

Toby Fox, what are you doing?

• Informative x 3
  13. swirlingflight

14. swirlingflight

• Informative x 3
  15. swirlingflight

okay i installed the update for the first time in a while, it is now v1.06 and with a fresh file the initial start screen has a SETTINGS option where you can change the language setting between japanese and english

[​IMG]

haven't confirmed anything else added/changed, but looking around reddit and such says that the language setting came with v1.05. redditors and other people who know how to datamine are on the case to see what's changed now.

apparently some variables have changed with every little update, moving around in the game code, and there's meta theories about it? but mostly it's tiny fixes of getting a given line to actually show up, or fixing a label here, or so on.

-edit-

don't know if it was 1.05 or 1.06 (one of those linked posts said but i don't care), but now menu options that you can't actually select (item before toriel gives you the cell phone) are grayed out - but you can check stats from the very start.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Informative x 1
  16. glitterchance

glitterchance 34 Vigilant Gaze Engulfs the Void

• Agree x 1
  17. swirlingflight

• Agree x 1
  18. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i was looking at one of those reddit threads and someone said

• Informative x 3
  19. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

oh hey we can discuss that shit here? i'd gotten the impression that this thread wanted to avoid mining somehow but i'm in my element so let's go

the best part about the rapidfire changes (i would not put it past toby fox for the changes in .05a>.06 to just be the removal of 'HE IS' t b h, assuming toby hasn't done Something Clever which people can't immediately see in the strings, but i still need to play through and see if anything's different) is that the beta branch was named jimmyhotpants1995. monsters sure do live a long time........

now bets are on for whether toby leaves his game alone for another two years before putting another inaccessible cryptic message in

eta: according to the wiki the changes are as follows:

• Fixed a bug where Undyne's transformation in the Genocide route had misplaced sprites.[13]
    • Fixed an error with the Tem Shop that happened when the game was in Japanese.
    • Changed battle group offset.
    • A line with the text "HE IS" has been removed from the game strings.[14]

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  20. swirlingflight

I mean, I've been trying to be good about putting data mined stuff behind spoilers, spaced out earlier.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice