Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

You can't use items during the flowey fight, and I'm pretty sure that your equips don't make any difference either. Basically, the gimmick of the fight is that your "fight" and "act" buttons appear in the battlefield at set intervals during the fight, and you have to physically navigate your hitbox to them in order to select them. The "fight" option does jack shit damage for the first half of the fight, and I'm not sure if you even need to trigger it to make the fight progress, so don't freak yourself out trying to hit it. Once you've survived a few minutes of the collage clusterfuck situation, one of the six human souls will light up, and he'll switch to a black and white attack. The "ACT" button will show up a few seconds into the pattern - activate it, and all the bullets will turn into green healing items. You can usually get yourself back up to at least 75% health with these before the segment ends. If you die during Flowey's regular attack segment, you keep your progress - you only have to finish each human soul section once to activate the second half of the fight.

The second half is where the "fight" button actually matters. Flowey's attacks are the same old bullshit - be sure to keep an eye out for the savescumming, which usually takes you back a few seconds in the pattern, and be ready to switch directions abruptly. In this part, the human souls' healing items drop down the center of the screen periodically rather than appearing all at once, so make sure to gather those when they appear. The steady-gradual healing does mean that your health bar will probably stay pretty low throughout the fight, but Flowey's isometric damage keeps this from being too much of an issue. As long as you're somewhere in the 25-33% range, you should be able to make it to the fight button safely.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

But how the fuck do I keep from dying in the first thirty seconds

3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Basically, I kept dying in the first thirty seconds and going back to it many times until the souls started popping up. Once the souls start doing their thing, even if you die in the middle, your progress is saved. I don't know if the same thing happens with flowey? I was dying a LOT for a while though, and it got frustrating, but things did eventually move forward.

• Like x 1
  4. Rongeur

git gud.

or watch videos of the fight to get a general idea of how you're supposed to move for each pattern. The cross-angled X bullets are gonna fuck you up no matter what, but everything else has a trick to it that'll let you avoid the bulk of the pattern.

• Like x 4
  5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

The entire combat system in this game tbh

• Like x 4
  6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I found that constantly moving diagonally, like, left or right but also a little bit up or down, not moving in straight lines. it let me avoid a good amount of his attacks. my main tip is to stay in constant motion, so when he spams his bs save and load thing you don't stay where his attack is directed. i usually hide near the top when he does his venus flytrap thing.

• Like x 2
  7. Rongeur

The Venus flytrap thing is basically Yuugi's "Storm on Mt. Ōe" spellcard from Subterranean Animism.

Which is to say, dodge up and down.

• Like x 2
  8. strictly quadrilateral

Okay, once I figured out how to make it past the first thirty seconds it only took me four tries.

I'm officially done with my first playthrough.

• Like x 4
  9. Petra

Petra space case

Whoo! Congrats!
    Yeah, Flowey looked REALLY HARD from the LP I followed. I don't even think the Temmie Armor helps with him?

10. strictly quadrilateral

I was wearing the Temmie armor, and following the guide you linked (at least I think that was you?). It was annoying as shit but the mini games were pretty close together so it was broken up. The end where he slams you with everything he's got was pretty tricky, mostly because I kept missing healing items while dodging attacks. Once I realized it was easier to go for the heals, I finished the fights with no problem.

• Like x 1
  11. Rongeur

He's pretty tough, but far from the hardest boss. Even on a normal run, Undyne gave me a way harder time. The isometric damage means that it's basically the only point in a pacifist or near-pacifist run where you don't have to jealously guard every single one of your measly 20-something HP, and the healing drops mean that you don't have to worry about how to ration out your healing items.

edit: also, most importantly - NO FUCKING REVERSE DIRECTION SPEARS.

• Like x 6
  12. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah. And then of course there are those genocide bosses...

13. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

we do not talk about the genocide bosses it's too painful
    also my brother is a darling and has gifted me undertale via my shiny new steam account.
    Once I organize myself a computer to play it on, I'll be bad at bulethell shenanigans all on my own. It's time for me to git gud I suppose.
    (I'M GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME)

• Like x 4
  14. prismaticvoid

IF I NEVER SEE THOSE AGAIN IT WILL BE TOO SOON
    (seriously, I'm glad Undyne is such a fantastic character because her fight nearly made me give up playing)

• Like x 2
  15. strictly quadrilateral

Undyne's fight was fun, and definitely harder than Flowey's. Mettaton's last fight was hardest for me.

• Like x 1
  16. swirlingflight

You will get dunked on.

[​IMG]

nothin but net

...eta.

for real though, what is it with these skeletons and basketball? sans with the dunked on thing, papyrus with his fantastic MTT-brand basketball fashion accessories...

• Like x 3
  17. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

oh god the golden reverse spears. Flowey's last fight wasn't - well, I didn't think it was difficult, because every time I died I guess I didn't have to start from the beginning again, same with the GOD OF HYPERDEATH. So it didn't feel like failing and needing to start again as much as just doing what the plot needed you to do, I suppose?

Undyne's fight was ridiculous though. She's literally impossible to defeat in straight combat, isn't she? At least if you're doing a pacifist run.

• Like x 3
  18. prismaticvoid

As far as I know. I wasn't gonna try :P

19. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Pacifist run, yes, she's impossible to defeat in combat.

Neutral run, though, you can indeed defeat her in combat. I did so on my very first run, in fact. She ends up briefly reviving after death and is filled with determination... but unfortunately not enough to actually become the Undying, and she spends the next several turns slowly melting.

Which is. Kind of horrifying. The horror is taken to new levels when you leave and Papyrus immediately calls to say that you and Undyne should be friends. (Assuming that you didn't kill Papyrus, of course.) That was the tipping point for me, and I cried a bit and loaded my save so I could go through without killing her. (I think I had to look up how to spare her though wow I couldn't figure out that I needed to run away.)

• Like x 5
  20. swirlingflight

...WELP I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING MY NEXT NORMAL RUN

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice