Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

https://kintsugi.seebs.net/threads/tumblr-txt-cw-possibly-not-mind-safe.231/page-229#post-85606

I was told to come here. Hello. My name is mouse and I REALLY LOVE UNDERTALE, I, REALLY LOVE UNDERTALE, I REALLY LOVE FISH LADY AND GOAT MOTHER AND STRANGE GOAT SON AND SKELETON BROTHERS AND BEAUTIFUL MURDER ROBOT AND

(I was obvs talking about Sans a lot in that post without saying Sans because I wanted to avoid SOME spoilers, and yeah, a lot of my murder run knowledge comes from zarla's livejournal because I played this game for the pacifist run and I feel no urge to play the rest)

• Like x 1
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I like that idea and that interpretation a lot and after thinking about things more that is similar to what I came up with. However not being able to fix things after the genocide ending unless I nuke the ever living shit out of the game's files annoys me. Because again Buddhists are powered by endless DETERMINATION. No one is beyond being helped. No one is beyond redeeming themselves. There cannot be any act or series of acts, no matter how horrible, that pushes someone past redemption. Not just because that is nice sounding but because it is actually just literally impossible.

So I still want to write this thing. Because I am a stubborn motherfucker. So now it's not just "I want to save the horrible demon child" but "I want to save the horrible demon child after I let him seemingly pass the point of no return".

• Like x 4
  3. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

/nods

I also just like writing about weird game mechanics fucking with a story, and I think it would be funny to write about certain shit like that. Because glitchy game rps was literally my rp bread and butter for three years

• Like x 4
  4. Grue

Grue New Member

I'm so glad that this forum has an Undertale thread!
    I finished up the game(pacifist ending) about two weeks ago or so and I'm still pretty much on the Undertale train 24/7. It's impacted me pretty hard and is definitely one of my favorite games of the last decade or so.
    I JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE IN EVERY GAME and Undertale definitely delivered that.

• Like x 3
  5. Aondeug

I know! It's super cool. Especially looking up stories about this sort of stuff in older games. Older games had some crazy shit and stories spread around in a very intriguing fashion because the internet wasn't as big. Kids in particular had no fucking idea what was going on. First gen of Pokemon is especially good for this shit.

• Like x 4
  6. MintyJojo

MintyJojo Well-Known Member

• Like x 3
  7. Void

I hadn't even heard of Gaster

8. MintyJojo

Yeah, he doesn't show up in the game unless you've messed with something particular in the files.

Quoting from another person here:

• Like x 2
  9. Void

Weeiiiiiiiiiird and creepy. very cool!

• Like x 1
  10. MintyJojo

Isn't it? I love weird stuff like this. Another small thing I love is how some people took "beware the man who speaks in hands" to mean Gaster mighta used sign language, which I also find kinda neat

• Like x 2
  11. Void

That is HELLA neat. I really like it. I saw somewhere that someone was headcanoning Gaster as like Sans and Papyrus's dad and I had no idea who Gaster was at the time and now I'm like "ok."

Life is weird and also I am garbage who kinda ships toriel and sans.

anyone who doesn't ship undyne and alphys tho just. i will sadface at them FOREVER CUZ DID THEY PLAY THE GAME??? (i mean that's their choice but pretty sure it's canon. forever. thanks. haha. i'm too gay for fish wife and her little dino gf)

• Like x 3
  12. Void

also cuz i find fun shit on tumblr i had to share this

[​IMG]

• Like x 8
  13. leitstern

I know, I finished the full pacifist ending, talked to everyone in the underground, befriended everyone possible to befriend and then was told 'by the way, still people in the game youve never even heard of.' Seriously? seriously?

All the Gaster stuff reads SO much like a creepypasta written for an existing game, it's hard to believe it's really IN a game for once. What's interesting to me is the fact that Sans and Gaster appeared to have known each other, which may be why Sans is aware that there is something wrong with his existence, that he's interacting with beings from outside his world, that the timeline of his life will keep resetting and being relived in different ways and that he cant do anything about it--that's he's in a game. Maybe Gaster was the one who made this clear to him, somehow.

Anyway, it makes me pretty uncomfortable, because I don't trust an Undertale easter egg this well hidden to not completely change the game in SOME way if ever sorted out. It has a habit of hiding really important information from the player unless relentlessly teased out.

Surprised that you don't get any hint of his existence in Alpyhs's otherwise telling True Lab, though. That got dark too, it would have fit in.

• Like x 5
  14. Aondeug

I'll need to look more into and think about the Gaster stuff more because this could probably be integrated into the fic idea. Looking up glitches right now in the game. So far I have come across a no-music glitch, a minor speed increase glitch, and a wrong warp involving the dimensional box. Basically while you're moving into a new loading zone you open the box and it warps you to the wrong spot. Theory so far is that it keeps your (x,y) coordinates and just drops you off in that location in the unloaded map. So far this can only be done with conveyor belts. Still, it's a wrong warp which definitely could be used for cool shit. The other two could as well, but a wrong warp in particular.

If anyone comes across any glitches could you let me know about them?

• Like x 3
  15. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Ah cool an Undertale thread nice.
    I just... Really love Papyrus. He's so sweet and a huge nerd, and his friendship with Undyne is super super great to the max. They're hilarious.

I finished full pacifist a few days ago, and I don't think I'd be able to go any other route ;o;

And If you try to kill Papyrus in Genocide(and no mercy maybe?) He'll actually spare you and want to be your friend? Oh god. Oh my god. That hurts. And you fucking kill him. Cold. ;n;

I don't know, I care about the silly skeleton a whole bunch.

[Appended]
    And daaang like I really want to draw some of the sprites plus backgrounds!
    Though I heard sprite rips arent allowed to be posted yet so I'd have to access the game again
    And reset it? I mean I finished it and i can come back to my save file but It's tedious trying to find them again when all the short cuts have been opened so by that logic a restart is in order to force me to go through the long ways hahahah!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    • Like x 2
  16. leitstern

I also really love Papyrus. Yeah, I hear if you try to kill him he just keeps being sweet and forgiving, dropping his own 'tough guard capturing the human' facade, if we can even call his FACADE that badass. And not to be Correcty mcNerdierthanthou, but from what ive seen, 'genocide' and 'no mercy' are nicknames for the same route, developed by different people playing the game. Both are accurate, some people don't like 'genocide' because it's a bit of a spoiler, considering how it ends.

BUT YEAH PAPYRUS he's just... level with me, he's just so GOOD. He never fights you with the intention of killing you, and even Toriel was willing to do that. He only does fight you because he's trying to make Undyne proud and achieve his goal of being a guard. He doesn't stop trying, he just shifts his goals when his perspective shifts, he doesn't actually hate anyone and is forced to drop acting like he does the second the pressure is on because he just can't be mean, and he's just so good, you know? You could analyze him from any angle and only find tiny flaws and personal insecurities, and also, majestic fashion sense.

IT'S TIME TO JOG 100 LAPS, HOOTING ABOUT HOW GREAT WE ARE!!!

• Like x 6
  17. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

@Aondeug i came across a glitch in the throne room where the music & birds chirping only played for a second every 5-7 seconds. i'd be way more specific but it's only happened once & i have no idea what triggered it (it went away as soon as i left & reentered the room).

i'm not sure if that's helpful but it uh. it sure was a thing that happened (& it was super creepy when combined with the peaceful atmosphere of the room).

[noises of agreement]

• Like x 3
  18. Rosella of Daventry

Rosella of Daventry Well-Known Member

Moving this over here:
    ? I'm confused. As far as i know the game doesn't talk down to you for doing the right thing. But from what I've been told from people that play it, from the tv tropes page, from video clips I've seen, the game is not kind to you if you screwed up and kill someone and going back to a previous save is cheating and manipulating the monsters, and that I should feel very very bad because killing is bad. Also don't watch LP's, watching LPs is cheating and bad and worse than killing monsters? And this is all from people who love the game.

I haven't played it, since I'm not spending money on a game that from everything everyone says about it sounds like I would be miserable playing it. I did that with Dragon Age 2 and never finished it when I realized I couldn't get a golden ending and I couldn't save people. I play video games to escape. I play video games to be someone I cannot be in real life. I don't like the media I pay for making me feel worse? I understand that is a thing some people like and I really loved the concept of Undertale until I started hearing about it 'hold you accountable'.

(Side note why do people keep talking about you killing things in Earthbound...because that isn't a thing that happens?)

19. Void

Well if you won't enjoy the game, then probably should not buy or watch it! I am not sure what the problem is here :/

No one is obligated to like a thing other people like.

Edit: I also know jack shit about earthbound so I can't say anything about that.

I know I personally like games cuz its an interactive story and man Undertale tells me a good yarn. I like that. Not everyone is gonna like this style of story telling.

Like part of my confusion is just "i am not sure how relevant saying you will never play this thing is" in a thread where people are talking about playing the thing. And explaining the thing. And thoroughly enjoying the thing. (altho I also don't hang out in that other thread cuz I don't care much for dealing with tumblr bullshit a lot)

Like I am on my third playthrough and have been drawing fan art and writing fanfic.

I dunno I ended up rambling so tl;dr: I am not sure what sort of interaction you're hoping to have wrt a game you don't plan on dealing with.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  20. Aondeug

To move my discussion from the other thread here I am still a pissed off Buddhist and I will continue to be. Blah blah there is no act that you can't redeem yourself for. Blah blah yes that includes genocide. Blah blah it'd be cool to let the player live through the life and trials of Angulimala. BLAH BLAH STILL FUCKING PISSED ABOUT THE GENOCIDE ENDING'S EFFECTS. BUDDHAM SARANAM GACCHAMI DHAMMAM SARANAM GACCHAMI SANGHAM SARANAM GACCHAMI DUTIYAMPI BUDDHAM SARANAM GACCHAMI DUTIYAMPI DHAMMA SARANAM GACCHAMI DUTIYAMPI SANGHAM SARANAM GACCHAMI TATIYAMPI BUDDHAM SARANAM GACCHAMI TATIYAMPI DHAMMA SARANAM GACCHAMI TATIYAMPI SANGHAM SARANAM GACCHAMI.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice