Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

If you find it tiresome to keep doing the face stepping, I advise going between Gerson's shop and Tem shop. Through the power of selling Temmie WAY TOO MANY cloudy glasses, you too can send her to Cool Leg.

• Like x 6
  2. swirlingflight

Pap.jpg

#SuspiciouslySpecificDenial

Anyway, I'm going through the Snowdin area and killing Papyrus again so I can listen to everyone's reactions to his death, and the little insights to his (and Sans') daily lives there. I'm about to app into a new game on Dreamwidth with him, from the King ending, and I want to reassess my characterization of him.

Things I noticed so far: his reaction when you say "I don't understand the instructions" to the color puzzle twice? Man. He just loses all momentum and enthusiasm for you, all trailing off... unsure... you do it at your own pace... and walks the fuck away.

With most of the other puzzles, he's so into it! Not that one. He just gives up on you. And that's interesting. Something about the way he wanders away when he's not getting what he wants out of the experience, it's like a tiny version of what he does in the geno run, where he realizes that looking to the human for emotional gratification isn't working out... but instead of appreciating what he does has, he just drops the toy and wanders off, bored. And that seems like a good hint as to why he has so few friends, considering that, as far as I recall, most of the people of Snowdin do regard him positively. They like him, in a distant and not very respectful way. So what's with the divide?

eta
    Went through, chatted with everybody. More of the people look forward to Sans coming around with jokes and pranks, but some of them do look forward to Papyrus. More a matter of amusement than friendship, but still something positive. Or exasperation, from the bunny whose little bro Pap chases around. So when Papyrus goes on about wanting respect, what is it that he's looking for?

And is the King Pap ending so bittersweet because he technically has the respect and appreciation, but sees now how empty it is when the people around him are sad?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    • Like x 10
  3. swirlingflight

SO LET'S SEE IF YOU CAN FACE MY FABLED 'BLUE ATTACK'

Pap1.jpg

appropriate scarequotes are appropriate. what the fuck is this, papyrus?

• Like x 4
  4. swirlingflight

OKAY SO
    It seems like it's just Linux fucking with me.
    I'm playing on the Windows side of the computer to check a few characters' stats for a friend, and the colors are normal.
    :mystery:

And meanwhile, because reasons, Muffet's stats are ATK 38.8 and DEF 18.8

for the 8s I presume

because spider

• Like x 4
  5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Pretty sure at some point in the last few months the game received some minor updates, including slightly changing the light blue attacks to make them better for colorblind folks (I think) as well as adjusting some of the monsters' stats. Not sure if Muffet's 8-themed stats have been that way from the start or if they're "new."

eta: linux may be fucking with you, or something with the update may have disagreed with linux. it is a mystery.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    • Like x 2
  6. swirlingflight

I think the decimal numbers are new to that update, but it's been a while. The colors sure seem to just be Linux fuckery.

• Like x 2
  7. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

So can someone tell me where this sprite is used because I saw it on the undertale wiki and no one seems to know where it's used

8. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

not going to check right now, but
    I think it's if you FIGHT Flowey after the omega boss battle, rather than SPARE?

• Like x 1
  9. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

I can relate to Asriel because I too am an evil soulless bastard until I'm not

• Like x 1
  10. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Yep, that's right. It's

part of his death sequence right before he disintegrates.

• Like x 1
  11. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

I sent Temmie to cool leg! I got tem armor! I got loads of quality heals! And I whooped Asgore's fuzzy butt!

And then I was given the option to spare him, and I was so fucking happy because after I accidentally one-hitted Toriel I swore I wasn't going to kill anyone else and now the game was going to let me not kill Asgore, and

and

and uh...

oh FUCK YOU, FLOWEY

• Like x 10
  12. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

fuck you forever, Flowey, but it was kinda cool of you to not make me start your shitty Photoshop nightmare form boss fight all the way over from the beginning every single time.

kill flowey? spare flowey? .......hhhhnnnnnGGGGGG I was so mad at that fucking shitty little weed but I said I was going to spare him, I said I wasn't going to kill anyone else in this playthrough, god DAMMIT Flowey you better appreciate this. ...aaaand he ran away.

Oh cool, Sans is calling to... let me know that Undyne has taken over as empress and is amassing her army to come murder me? ... ... ...yeah, okay, fair enough man

And Papyrus got the perfect job for him, bless his heart. Bro, I'd love to come visit you but Undyne kind of wants to kill me sooooo... y'know. Maybe come visit me? Oh wait, no, barrier and all, sorry.

So yeah, I'm gonna do a pure pacifist run... someday. What a trip this game has been.

• Like x 8
  13. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

I'm glad you had fun. ...at least, I'm assuming you had fun, it sounds like you had fun.

14. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

I HAD SO MUCH FUN

I... don't think I could stand to do a genocide run though, I love all these dorks so much.

• Like x 1
  15. swirlingflight

It is worth seeing some parts of it, as these dorks tend to realize and stand up for what matters to them in the geno run. And boy howdy do I like a certain monologue with Flowey in it. :')

Eta... dorks. Not fields.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • Like x 4
  16. swirlingflight

I might mess around doing another playacting liveblog of it someday.

• Like x 1
  17. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

"I'll do a pacifist run someday," I say, and then immediately reset and start the thing. I did not repeat the previous run's one unhappy accident. \o/

• Like x 7
  18. swirlingflight

Because reasons (Dreamwidth roleplaying shenanigans) I was hoping to find artwork of skeletons able to safely remove bones from their bodies. I didn't find them, but a plurk friend did, and boy I was not disappointed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 9
  19. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Aww, poor Sans. I'm sure he used to love that joke, but it seems like these days he keeps getting ahead of himself.

• Like x 10
  20. garden

garden lucid dreamer

I may have registered this complaint here before, but I'm irritated and pedantic enough to do so again:

It irritates me when people draw Frisk holding the Real Knife in situations before they can canonically acquire it. Doubly so if it's blood-spattered/Frisk is blood-spattered, since none of the monsters bleed, with the sole, dubious, exception of Sans.

At some level I do understand the simplicity of the knife as a symbol of genocide!Frisk, but I am a very pedantic person, so when I see art of Frisk holding the knife when facing off against Undyne or Mettaton NEO, some part of me inevitably thinks "but they don't have that yet! Right now they only should have the ballet shoes/empty gun!"* I won't claim this attitude is justified, artistic license is definitely a thing, I'm just very pedantic, so it bugs me and I felt the need to complain somewhere.

*I suppose technically they would have access to the toy knife, it's just that from a gameplay standpoint they should have moved on from that, and genocide run is very aware of gameplay stuff like that, as evidenced by Chara's speech at the end. Also I feel like usually the artist's intent is to draw the real knife and not the toy knife.

• Like x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice