Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

[loud intense agreement]

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

it's a convenient shorthand for we-the-viewers that GOSH GOLLY look at this SERIAL MURDERER

but that's not what it's like

it's a grinding game

making the character strong by wiping through these dusty imitations of life on the way to the End

a person with a personality, with a bright manic grin and blood and knife? it's dramatic and flashy and cliche and who cares

a flat, relentless, dusty force of nature

indifferent

it's the slow plodding progress to completion and erasure.

chara's the one who smiles brightly, but just at the thought of finishing the job.

it's we the players who get excited about sans' fight, and maybe undyne's, because at least those two are a challenge. a break from the grinding monotony. (and frequently the motivation for the grinding monotony.)

• Like x 9
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Not to mention that everyone seems to forget the Real Knife is red.

4. swirlingflight

:o
    i can honestly say i don't remember that

5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

It's easy to miss, you only see it in a Steam badge, to be fair.

• Like x 3
  6. swirlingflight

I'm replaying pretty much every part of the game that Alphys is in, because reasons, and I just.
    Alphys576.jpg

Letter66.jpg

CanWeTalk3.jpg

• Like x 6
  7. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Cherish this nerdlizard.

• Like x 4
  8. Scheherazade

So I was looking at some of the neutral endings again and, well... Okay, I'm pretty bad at judging whether I'm being socially appropriate or just hurtful with my humor sometimes. It's a problem. So I'm asking this thread for a quick reality check- scale of one to ten, one being 'nah that was really funny' and ten being 'holy shit, not cool' about where would you place the fact that I saw one particular ending and immediately thought the following:

If people wanted this country to be run by a self-obsessed celebrity tyrant with artificial hair, couldn't they have just elected Mettaton? At least he's not racist.

• Like x 11
  9. swirlingflight

I can't help gauge how out of line that is, because I know I think it's hilarious. Most of the Undertale people I chat with a lot were making comparisons to King MTT through the end of the election.

10. Scheherazade

Yeah it's like, I'm aware it's a very serious issue that will likely cause major harm to a lot of innocent people and I don't want to normalize it, but humor's kind of a coping mechanism for me, so...

Alternate Timeline Where We Somehow Elected Mettaton 2k16. Campaign slogan: At least you would have had something pretty to look at for the next four years.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like x 9
  11. swirlingflight

Yeah, it's a coping mechanism for more people than just you, never fear. Normalize isn't the same thing as joke about. Gallows humor is a thing, bitter absurdist jokes are part of how people cope with awful things; because forcing ourselves to be solemn and sad all the time is bad for us. This is one area where Tumblr's idealism is misguided.

• Like x 8
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

One thing I've noticed about Undertale is that surprisingly few people seem to realize a lot of the flavour text for things like, say, mirrors changes after beating the True Pacifist final boss.

The mirror text especially is important. It's just four words long, but the fourth one turns it into a Wham Line.

• Like x 5
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I forget how that goes?

14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Neutral, Ruins: "It's you!"
    Kill-all, any mirror: "It's me, Chara." (or whatever you put in as the name)
    Neutral, New Home: "Despite everything, it's still you."
    True Pacifist, any mirror: "Still just you, Frisk."

• Like x 8
  15. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

has anyone heard of creepy castle? it's another game developed by nicalis, my fav indie game company, and it's gameplay reminds me strongly of undertale

like if undertale was a metroidvania-style game

• Like x 1
  16. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Wingyl i hadn't seen the last text. that is quite the Wham.

17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

@Kaylotta: Yup! It disproves one theory about the narrator's identity, another is disproved by how easily the narrator is surprised by things like Alphys's security cameras, and that leaves only one plausible theory.
    And it does that with a single word.

• Like x 1
  18. To me the real question is why did anyone think anyone besides that last word was the narrator.

19. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Are you asking, why did anyone think anyone but
    Frisk
    was the narrator, or are you asking, why did anyone thing anyone but
    Chara
    was the narrator?

20. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice