Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. MintyJojo

MintyJojo Well-Known Member

The name shows up around here in this video playthrough of the True Lab. I assume, given the context of everything else that DT stands for "DETERMINATION" making it a determination extractor.

My personal theory is that they used to be coworkers. They must have been studying a "massive anomaly in the timespace continuum" where they saw "timelines jumping left and right, starting and stopping... until suddenly, everything ends." The "until everything ends" can be construed as particularly ominous, given that you do find this bit of dialogue in the genocide run. The experiment gone wrong must have been playing with that, and is possibly related to the mysterious machine in sans' workshop. I feel like the fact that Gaster's presence is so well hidden that you can only find him in glitches and searching painstakingly in extras speaks to how...well those experiments must have gone. As in, not well at all. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the characters remembered him at all due to this accident, except for possibly Sans. I mean, they were messing with the fabric of space and time, after all.

UUUUGH, same! As to what he's trying to do...I think he just gave up for the most part, personally? Until in the Bad Times run when he couldn't afford to anymore.

To me, he comes off as really depressed. Which puts the way he acts in the Pacifist and Neutral runs in a different light, when you think about it.

Here is some more dialogue when you save him during the True Pacifist run in the final battle with Asriel:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    • Like x 5
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

My theory is that piecing Gaster together breaks the game. You can either know all about him, or you can have a functional universe.

• Like x 2
  3. MintyJojo

Well, considering if you try to use his name for your character you get sent back to the title screen, I wouldn't be surprised. (I love that whole detail with the character names btw)

• Like x 3
  4. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I thought a Sad Thing last night. If you play the full pacifist route

You see everyone looking into the sunset at the end of the game and running off to their various happy lives. Papyrus and Undyne run off the be ambassadors to humankind, Toriel vows to take care of you, all sorts of good things, but sans, true to his nature, shrugs and heads back into the underground, after pretending that he's going to run after and help Papyrus. In context, it's funny, because he's just slacking off from his responsibilities again.

But as I was watching the ending, it made me uncomfortable, and now I realize why. In the no mercy route, when you kill sans, the last thing he does before he's gone is limp off of the battle screen, say he gives up and he's going to Grillby's... and asks Papyrus if he wants anything. Which could be seen as a sort of delirium before his death, but I think what he was doing was giving a nod to the fact that the timeline may well reset and he'll just live it again, go back home to Papyrus, live in Snowdin for a while, and loop through his short life again. When he leaves the judgement hall, he may well open the door to his house.

And in the end of the pacifist route, he does the same thing. He's the only monster who, upon observing the world for a few short minutes, walks right back into the Underground. He knows it's the end of the game. There's no point in running out to find the humans, he won't make it. He's going to walk into the underground, open the door to the castle, and end up in his house, next to Papyrus, before he heads off to Grillby's. He's aware, though in his own terms, that there's no script after this, and the only way to have a longer life is to replay what already happened. It's just that, unlike Flowey, he has absolutely no will to force it and no desire to cause undue suffering for it.

He doesn't really have an ending, he just brings him back to where the loop will start again, and in conclusion, how may i hug sans.

• Like x 15
  5. MintyJojo

I actually thought he was

Just taking another one of his "shortcuts" again. Throughout the game, he always says he's going to go in one direction, then ends up walking in a completely different one. So, here would be an example of where he does this.

There are also weird things like his hotdog stand that shows up in the hotlands when you're running away from Undyne being covered in snow. He's in the Hotlands for gods sake. The only place he would get snow on its roof is in Snowdin. It IS rather convenient that he was there to distract Undyne while you were running away though, wasn't it?

He always happens to have a "shortcut" so I didn't think too deeply into it when it happened. Especially since in the credits he's shown riding what appears to be a trike next to Papyrus's car.

But you're right to analyze that scene I think, given the fact that this time HE IS walking back into the Underground now, which should be considered significant.

In conclusion, I too would like to hug Sans.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    • Like x 11
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

At the end of the genocide route with a friend of mine. He so far only felt bad for the Monster Kid though he did find Undyne's boss fight interesting. Most of the route he round rather dull, but then he is also going in with no context save this. Then we reached the final boss of the route and it was nothing but giggling. Because wow. And als my reactions were amusing.

I'm going to kick this fucker's face in. Just out of spite. Which is awful!

BUT HE WILL PAY.

7. MintyJojo

• Like x 3
  8. Aondeug

That happened to me when I was doing a "just murder all the bosses" run. Undyne's fight in a neutral route where you kill Papyrus is really sad. Also interesting because she stubbornly persists even after you kill her.

• Like x 3
  9. MintyJojo

She definitely has way more "determination" than most other monsters. I mean the only way to "defeat" her in the pacifist run is fleeing anyhow, right?

Also

The way she goes melty in that video reminds me of those amalgamations we see in the True Lab

• Like x 1
  10. Aondeug

Undyne is like a shonen hero like in one Alphys's Japanese animes. I mean HUMAN HISTORY.

• Like x 5
  11. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Oh my god, how do you guys deal with the jumping arrows Undyne does? They fuck me over completely unless I'm at full hp when I start.

12. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

@Hobo Temmy armor and a lot of hope. :')

#I do not have good reflexes #pacifist route was very very stressful

13. Aondeug

Jumping arrows? As in the ones that switch direction? For me it was just a case of memorization, which is just a bullet hell thing in general. If you're having trouble with them though I found it best to have on the cloudy glasses in the fight. Fuck ups are a lot less costly with them on and they're not hard to get at all. Since it's just, what. 60 gold or something to the turtle guy?

• Like x 1
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I think if you Plead to Undyne her attacks slow down, too.

15. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

They don't. Just don't challenge her and they won't go faster.

I mean sometimes pleading works I have seen it work like twice. It's a hit or miss. You can keep pleading to her but like 80% of the time it does nothing.

16. Piratical

Piratical Dis-member

Oh noooo I missed so many pages augh I need to catch up. @_@; While I do that!!! I'm working on a sans cosplay!! Starting with a mask! Look, progress pictures!!!
    https://twitter.com/piraticalartist/status/651991395654172673
    https://twitter.com/piraticalartist/status/652122074652086273
    https://twitter.com/piraticalartist/status/652489363545194497
    https://twitter.com/piraticalartist/status/652687996534153217 (This one is blurry because it is so goshdang hard to take a selfie while wearing an eyeless gourd over your head)

• Like x 3
  17. Aondeug

So that Sans boss fight's theme has got me thinking about what Time player Serkets would be like. Probably shitty. Thief of Time sounds like it would be super cool combat wise though. Also I can't imagine having to heal the timeline and heal with time and death would do much good to Aranea's nerves.

18. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

Now that I've gone to the true end (mostly, not done with the epilogue)

Asriellllllll. What an adorable child, what a ridiculous anime fight. Like, the whole aesthetic of it was a kid's idea of how a final boss should be like, so of course there's rainbows everywhere and stars falling and enormous silly weapons. It's so cute.

• Like x 7
  19. Piratical

Piratical Dis-member

@Lamba
    Augh I 100% agree. There's a bit of fanart I saw that
    had asriel holding up a terrible drawing of his boss form and yelling about his OC that had demon horns and magic lasers and would TOTALLY KICK UR ASS IF U DON'T STOP BEING MEAN TO HIM ON THE INTERNETTTT. It was just. The most precious thing. I think I need to draw kid asriel dressed up as boss asriel at some point. @_@;

• Like x 8
  20. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

The fanart @Piratical is talking about is here (pacifist endgame spoilers), along with some other adorable pictures by the same artist. :3

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice