Undertale - Pet dogs and date a skeleton!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Piratical, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

yes what is the question?

2. Birdy

Birdy so long

you talked a lot about souls and magic colors and it was cool but like...what about stuff that affects the soul directly? like "you're blue now."

3. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

a spell that directly affects the soul, coating it in a layer of magic to affect 100% of it, with the colour simply a side-effect!
    souls glow anyway, a mixture of pigments, DT colouration, and the structure of the very outermost layer of the soul cause the colour.
    the spells reversibly affect that last bit to do whatever they're doing and make the soul essentially maintain the spell cast on it until the soul's own healing abilities disrupt it. (inspired here by DoWaS's "Blessing", a spell cast on a unicorn that involves changing the structure of the horn so that the unicorn is constantly, involuntarily, and unconsciously casting the spell on itself)

• Like x 3
  4. Birdy

Birdy so long

huh cool! sorry if you already explained that in a previous post. i just really like your world building

5. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I didn't explain it in a previous post!
    and thank you for the worldbuilding complement! (that is the right word right)
    also a note about the Blessing: a similar spell isn't really stable with this headcanon, even if mindreading spells and spells to induce happiness/pain were definitely possible. the soul's own healing ability would eventually destabilize it.
    no creepy mind control cast by the controlled being here except in the crossover AU and that doesn't count because it's a crossover

also: generally, mind control spells are probably impossible. the Void can have a mind control effect, in that the properties of sufficiently voidy areas can induce anything from actions you don't realize you're taking to urges to making one idea seem better than it otherwise would to even inducing emotions.
    however, this is impossible to consciously control.

• Like x 2
  6. Birdy

Birdy so long

so you can make someone more amenable to something you want without knowing you're actually doing it

...wouldn't it be fucked up if frisk had that power and that's why they were able to talk everyone out of fighting?

that would be entirely dissonant to the tone of the game though

• Like x 3
  7. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i regret to inform you that the word you mean is compliment

ETA: and also your worldbuilding is quite interesting! i like it c:

8. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

it takes centuries of huge magic flow from the Void into an enclosed area with no way for magic to leave to get to the point where that could happen: attempting to get that level of unreality within a human lifetime, barring time shenanigans and actually doing the thing in the void, just results in a sea of visible magic.

that's not to say the monsters aren't affected by void mind-altering, though. after all, so many of them don't seem to notice that they're attacking frisk.

• Like x 4
  9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

also, damn it, i can never keep track of complement/compliment

10. Birdy

Birdy so long

that's even more fucked

11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

yeah
    half the time frisk's sparing efforts are just...trying to get them to realize what they're doing
    whether by getting them to feel a bit friendly towards frisk followed by a "please stop hitting me", or by simply...staying near them until enough of their reality leaches away for the other method to work

• Like x 3
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

*waves hands around* this is probably inspired by days of wasp and spider and definitely inspired by scrollingdown's void meta

• Like x 3
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

also the "make someone more amenable to something you want" thing isn't really the best way of wording it? that effect would be more like. making the properties of the place you are in include "people do [thing]".

so like. with the Underground, one of the properties of it is now "humans and monsters are in conflict". great if you want to fight a monster! not great if you want to hug a monster.

it could just have easily have been "monsters are terrified of humans" or "monsters really like flowers"

• Like x 3
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

What's the tabletop game that functions by having locations and situations and characters be described by properties like that.... FATE?

• Like x 1
  15. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

if i write stereotypy chara should i add a physical stereotypy or two to go with the repeating things one?

16. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Another random thing I came up with for Undertale: 'amplification rings'.

An amplification ring is a ring containing a large number of thaumic circuits that are designed to each add a tiny amount of magic to the amount passing through the ring as well as speeding it up. They require the magic going through them to already be moving-they do not work on still magic!

The number of circuits is such that the amount of magic generally nearly doubles, it speeds up, and becomes more concentrated. It's possible to 'stack' Rings-so you'd have, say, Ring One amplifying a weak beam of magic followed by Ring Two amplifying Ring One's output and Ring Three amplifying Ring Two's output and so on, until you hit a limit generally defined by either the beam of magic not fitting in the Ring anymore or the Ring catching on fire.

It is usually fire.

At the end of the Ring or Ringstack you put another thaumic circuit that actually does spells rather than making tiny entry nodes. As such you can have however much magic feeding into a spell as your Rings can handle.

• Like x 1
  17. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

Hello guys, I have not joined this thread before for some reason even though it's about a game that toppled my favorite game and game creator of all time?? I think I'm way past overdue :P

Anyway, apparently there has not been enough talk about the latest Game Theory trilogy? I know, I know, it's all about stuff that's been theorized before, but look. GASTER IN PUBLIC CONSCIOUSNESS IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME BECAUSE... well, when I get obsessed, I want everyone to know how good stuff is and I want everyone to appreciate just how good Toby Fox is and just... DAMN!

Anyway, yeah. I am a sucker for finely constructed, hinted-at perfectly coherent lore that only makes sense if you nitpick every detail of the thing over a thousand times over, like 5000-piece puzzles that are so perfectly crafted that once you put the pieces together you can't see the seams. And MatPat is nowhere near done with that. I want to construct a- no, THE perfect theory that I just KNOW was in Toby's mind when he created it.

.....this is gonna be what the Zelda timeline was for me 10 years ago, isn't it?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    • Like x 3
  18. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

MatPat's theories don't even make sense every time I've heard of them.
    Like, seriously, a Sans is Ness theory that relies on bones not being organic matter...despite bones being organic matter?

• Like x 5
  19. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

Sans is Jeff, obviously
    :beartrash:

• Like x 4
  20. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Anyway, Evilas, there's a bunch of Undertale theorizing in this thread, as well as me rambling for a very long time about headcanons.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice