Vampires, and lykens its time to play! (Open Rp) guide

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by Victoria Rose, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Salem

Salem What a kawaii

Yeah me too!

2. Victoria Rose

Victoria Rose Role-Player: Assassin/ warrior/ vampire

You got it

3. Victoria Rose

I am at work so what I am going to do is have y'all roll at the tavern read back on the rp page and catch up when I go on break I will check back in.

4. Victoria Rose

5. Victoria Rose

Salem and lizardlicks you are both in I have started you off now it is up to you to get to the rest of the group. Run, fly, hover, or how ever you travel you are in.

6. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

Wait, first The Mistress doesn't know who's coming to the party/quest/thing and now there's a Mysterious Voice calling random people to the castle for her?

• Like x 2
  7. Victoria Rose

She still does not know who all else is coming and it was a voice calling not I did not say it was her voice trust me give me time to get everyone there. There are such things as ghostly beings in this game. All in good time my friend.

8. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

Dude you can't be all "all in good time" in the planning session. We need to know what is going on so that we can actually play, not trail along in the wake of whatever story you're writing for yourself.

If you have a script or plan you need to tell us so we can use it. If you don't want us to improvise and do our own thing then let us know.

"You are compelled to do this epic quest and you will do it," is not exactly an Open RP

• Like x 3
  9. Salem

Salem What a kawaii

I totally respect the desire for a little mystery, but giving us NO information at all about where you're going with this is not the best way to get us to play along. Plus, interrupting my first chance at meeting another character with an inexplicable Call is kinda stunting. We'll get to the quest, but let natural dialogue and introductions happen first. I'm here to meet all these other characters and do fun stuff with them in a way that feels natural for my character. Give us a little structure and let us explore! We like your world and we wanna play in it!

• Like x 5
  10. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Hey, Victoria, you misrepresented what kind of RP this was. If you planned on running a dungeon crawl, this isn't how you go about recruiting. Everyone thought that you were just opening up a setting for us to be dorks in, because that's what this looked like.

If you wanted to run an RP with a plot. Then first you need to spell out the specifics of what's going on, what the tone is, and what our characters are doing. And you definitely don't start until you are sure you have enough people to run a proper game. You can't just turn an open rp into a plot one out of nowhere.

• Like x 3
  11. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

LOL @Salem Moth keeps calling Barnaby kid when I'm pretty sure Moth is younger. Also not sure how "scruffy" got interpreted as "clean shaven".

• Like x 3
  12. Salem

Salem What a kawaii

@Lizardlicks oh Moth is 100% younger but he's also a condescending little tyke. Also I missed the scruffy memo. Whoops!

• Like x 1
  13. Lizardlicks

Haha I figured as much. Also it doesn't help that Barnaby is 100% wide-eyed innocent puppy.

• Like x 1
  14. Lady Kianna

Lady Kianna Seer of Void.

Who's a good booooy~

• Like x 4
  15. Salem

Salem What a kawaii

He is perfect and adorable and I love him.

• Like x 3
  16. Lizardlicks

HE IS A GOOD BOY! GOOD WOOF, BEST FRIEND!

• Like x 3
  17. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i get the impression victoria is used to running tabletopgames with folk who aren't used to rp at all, thus the "you don't have to know how to do it yourself, just your character does" instruction.

we might all benefit from taking a moment to reframe what kind of game this is and what everyone's expecting. @Victoria Rose i'm a 20 year tabletop veteran, i've played just about every major syatem out there, and i'm also pretty experienced with forum rp, and they're WAY different. i think most of us around here are expecting a loosely structured or freestyle co-op storytelling rp; @roach and i are in the 'boat trolls' rp, for an example.

but it looks to me like you want to do sort of a hybrid, where there's a GM who runs the story, and the characters are responding to that? but without dice or stats? i'm not sure how that'd work, but it could be fun, i'm willing to try!

if folk don't know that's what you're doing, though, it just looks like you're being bossy and godmoding a lot. so i think it'd be best if you clarify.

• Like x 4
  18. Victoria Rose

Give me a moment to take care of something.

19. Victoria Rose

20. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

@Victoria Rose, it seems to me that it will be difficult for you to run a dungeon crawl where you're the authority commanding everyone to go along with your plots, when we don't know what your plots are, and communication is so far very unclear, and also we don't have any set schedule for an organized game. if you have work and life responsibilities that keep the game from progressing on any other schedule but your own, that's also something the other players should know.

as for myself, i'm much more familiar with open online RPs, which are very chaotic and communal, and plots are worked out by mutual agreement ahead of time, and no one person gets to tell anyone else what to do. so when you assume that characters are going along with what you say, it makes me think you're just being impolite. is this supposed to be a game where you're 'in charge' of everyone and the plot?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    • Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice