Vampires, and lykens its time to play! (Open Rp) guide

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by Victoria Rose, Jun 24, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm fairly comfortable with having a GM telling me What Happens Next as long as i know that's what kind of game it is. for instance, @littlepinkbeast is currently running a Dungeons The Dragoning game that is one of the best tabletop adventures i've ever had, and she's totally unapologetic about like, "the ghost of your dead brother gave you these coordinates, it is clearly super important that you check them out."

that said, for an adventuring party on a quest, i don't think i would've chosen jack saturday. he's kind of... chaotic neutral. :P

• Like x 4
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Barnaby probably fits in any where, poor kid is pretty easy to dupe- err I mean, convince!

That said, this is getting a bit more chaotic than I think was initially planned, but the set up didn't really have a lot of details. Kind of false advertising to call in an open improve RP and then have a Super Secret Plot that everyone is expected to go along with.

Also, did you know you can edit your posts after you have posted them? You don't have to rapid post in succession responding to stuff either, you can collect it all in one post.

• Like x 2
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

oh yeah, that's a point -- @Victoria Rose may i direct your attention to the '+quote' button on the lower right of each post. when you click that, it collects the post to a clipboard. once you've collected the posts you want to reply to, scroll down to the post box, and below it there will be a button that says 'insert quotes'. click that to get the clipboard, select 'insert these quotes', and voila! all the quotes appear in your post box.

then you can just go in between them and write your replies to each.

4. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

The open rp thing is my fault, actually. I told her she should write that; I thought the only difference between open and closed rp was who could join. I was incorrect, and I apologize.

5. Victoria Rose

Victoria Rose Role-Player: Assassin/ warrior/ vampire

It ok I am learning how this place works

6. Victoria Rose

Sorry it has taken so long to respond on this I have 3 kids for one and work 3rd shift for 2 but a part from that I hope aside from the hiccups it is enjoyable.

7. Lady Kianna

Lady Kianna Seer of Void.

No worries. RL jumps in from time to time.
    You can still do your plot if you want too, but I'm not sure everyone will want to be on board or brought a character to play with your plot. Aerian, for example, is fairly passive RN. He doesn't want to Get Into Trouble or cause attention to himself.

I mentioned in the RP forum that maybe we can do both? You can have your plot with a few people while the rest of us nerds derp around.

Edit: I want to add that I hope we can mix it all up together in a way that works. I saw your post originally and did want to bring in Aerian from the start but originally it was so vague that I had no idea where to begin. I'm really glad it's come together so far even if the styles sort of clash. I'm used to one v one IM rps myself. Havent played DnD/WoD with a group in AGES and it was with a live group never on forums.

EditEdit: Also pls don't worry too much about taking time to respond. We've all got irons in the fire in RL. It happens. :3

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

it would also help us understand each other better, @Victoria Rose, if you would take your time composing your posts so that they are phrased and punctuated more clearly. i don't mean to say that you have to write perfectly, we're not here to write great literature, but i am having difficulty understanding what you are trying to communicate in several of your posts.

• Like x 2
  9. Victoria Rose

:psyduck: like I said new to this place and I am a big nerd on the rp.... well I know of 2 kinds d&d kind and well the other is 18+. Acting yes I am a very good actress so if we need to we can start again but I have to have everyone on board for which one where and I will make the edits and have everyone make the necessary edits. That way we all can have fun.

• Like x 1
  10. Lizardlicks

Hey yeah, I got a job and two bittys I know that feeling. Maybe would help to just find set times to post replies in? That way you have more space to take time and compose your posts?

• Like x 1
  11. roach

we could take a vote and see who wants to just fool around in a spooky vampire world as we've been doing, and who wants to shape this into a more formal GM-dictated RP, as you've been doing.

if this is an informal RP, you can relax and have your vampire be a regular character who doesn't need to manage anyone outside of character interactions. if it's gm-dictated, you can answer our questions about schedules, turns, rules, and plot.

• Like x 2
  12. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I vote we derp around and let the story progress naturally, as opposed to a gm run game.

• Like x 2
  13. Lizardlicks

Yeah, kind of hard to have a GM run game when the GM is being flighty.

• Like x 2
  14. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I don't have a problem doing the dungeon that was set up for us, but I think the stakes need to be more immediate and/or personal for the more chaotic characters if we want them to be involved in it.

Edit: that is to say, why waste a good dungeon? But also the setting is loose enough that after that we could do p much anything

Edit2: apparently my phone hates me, sorry about that

• Like x 2
  15. Victoria Rose

I did just fine keeping up yesterday. Even while at work. I say I will do a gm based form and put the pauses in there in the morning or have a bkt of free play in between times so players can understand and work together more bit for here it will stay as y'all thiught as free play. For now I have to sleep I have to work tonight edits will happen by morning.

• Like x 1
  16. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I vote we keep doing the messing-around-in-uberwald kind of game.

• Like x 4
  17. Lizardlicks

Maybe best to start a new thread with a clearly stated premise. In the start of this guide post all that was explained was that players just needed a character, and the RP thread itself was for a while just you freeforming your own posts in rapid succession. When asked for details/world building in the guide thread, your answers were vague, and you never made mention of intending to run it as a GM, so it isn't just a misunderstanding of terms. I'm same as Jesse, coming from a D&D/VtM/other tabletop RPG background, so I know what you're going for, but everyone involved needs to be clear on what is happening from the get-go, so even in terms of running a game more like a structured tabletop RP you haven't been doing too hot. There's no plot hook, the danger is vague, nebulous, and not actually all that threatening, seems to only be a concern for your own characters interests without consulting with anyone else's, and the characters have no motivation to investigate or get personally involved. Hell I tried to play it up with Barnaby's sheep going missing from some nasty thing, and the only hook you gave him was "a mysterious voice in [his] head" that didn't give him any reason to connect the two things.

Forum RP is typically understood to be more loose and cooperative, more like a story told between all the participants rather than a game with a win condition goal. Without stating that you intend to do anything different in the first place, everyone will follow that form. I know you want to keep a mysterious and dangerous atmosphere, but so far it comes of as oblique, and pushy.

• Like x 7
  18. Lady Kianna

Lady Kianna Seer of Void.

@Aviari @Salem @Barnaby Shaeffer

I'm trying to think of a reasonable feasable way to get Aerian's butt over to interact with you guys. Or one of you could wander over to him? Suggestions?

19. roach

Please make sure not to edit, delete, or invalidate anyone's posts, thank you.

• Like x 3
  20. Lizardlicks

Hmm, not sure. Isa scruff sheep herder suddenly sitting on the floor in the middle of a crowded tavern enough to make him go "wtf I need to come check this knucklehead out" or is Aerian more of the passive observer type?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice